The Spanish Announce Table

Direct Impact

A thread to discuss the Spanish Announcers. Your favourite memories of the announcers etc. What storylines they've been in (if any) etc.

One of my favourites was during the Hulk Hogan - Vince McMahon match when one of them (Hugo?) took a chair shot off Hogan. Storyline wise I don't know why they did this other than to say they wanted to destroy each other so much others got in the way. Was Hugo replaced on PPV or did his partner have to do rest of the PPV solo?

It makes me wonder if on their versions of TV do they have storylines involving the commentators. (For example Hugo going ape shit that he was blasted with a chair).

I was watching No Way Out 2004 recently and half way through a match Tazz passed commentary onto the Spanish for a minute or two. I'd never seen this other than at the beginning of a PPV. When it returned to Tazz and Cole I think they were making gags about the Spanish commentators.

When did the Spanish commentators start appearing at ringside? Why do the French only occasionally?

Also someone mentioned on here recently that the Spanish Commentators don't have as many duristrictuons as the English speaking commentators. They mention things like Sting wrestling for TNA etc.

So the Spanish Announce a Table...,.discuss :-)

• Paid Members

duristrictuons

Help me out. If you were going for "jurisdiction" then it doesn't really fit the context. Do you mean restrictions, in terms of what they can or cannot say?

Sure, they're bound to be allowed to talk with far more freedom given that none of the big knobs are listening in. My favourite moment with the Spanish table is whichever spot it was where they took a massive spill and Hugo was flat on his fat arse like an upturned turtle, and you just heard JR going "Is Hugo hurt?" As Davey Boy would say, he fell on his fookin' arse.

Yeah I meant jurisdiction - just a spelling mistake. Yeah obviously with the likes of Vince & Trips not being fluent in Spanish they'll get away with a few things. But surely they've still got to follow some guidelines, didn't think TNA would be allowed to be mentioned. Does make more sense them mentioning it regarding Sting though.

• Paid Members

Yeah I meant jurisdiction - just a spelling mistake.

Not just a spelling mistake as it doesn't make sense in the context its used, I believe.

Doesn't bother me FYI.

That Foley bit at IYH 14 is mental, great to watch but just a totally fucked idea.

Always remember me and my mate at school getting dead excited because JR broke character shouting "They've killed him", funnily enough neither of us were interested in any of Russo's shoot shite in WCW two years later, though I imagine that's because we were in fifth year and were into girls by then

I think they got rid of the French table in 1998 at some point.

Jean Brassard was the second commentator for the most part, only reason I remember him is from being introduced at WM 13 and he declares "Wrestlemania, l'extraordinaire de WWF!". Vince: "In any language it spells excitement". Well, apart from French it seems.

Pretty sure there was a French announcers’ table at WrestleMania this year. Remember Cole et al introducing their Spanish counterparts, and then was surprised when he went on to also introduce the French team, as had never seen that before.

Yeah it was at this years one.

So wonder if the foreign teams are similar set up with PBP and colour commentators?

What ex wrestlers have been on foreign teams?

I recall Rey Mysterio and Ricardo commentating on the Spanish.

• Paid Members

I remember TNA sort of incorporated the Spanish Announcing Team (not the wrestling tag team) into the "Mexican America" storyline - they ran an angle where Hernandez, newly back from his pilgrimage to Mexico or whatever, called the Spanish announcers, Hector Guerrero and Willie Urbina, down to the ring. They put over Guerrero, but then beat the crap out of Urbina for being Puerto Rican; they then beat up Guerrero when he tried to stand up for Urbina saying that they're all Latinos together.

They also ran an angle before, back in the last days of LAX, when Konnan left and launched his lawsuit against TNA; they did this whole thing of Homicide and Hernandez declaring they needed a new elder statesman and coach, and asked Hector to be that man, which, of course, he agreed to - and then it went absolutely nowhere, because...

....(wait for it)

TNA.

Archived