Luckiest/Unluckiest Wrestlers Ever

Liam O'Rourke

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Can't look beyond Booker T for luckiest, just based on a couple of months in 2001 alone. WWE decides to buy out WCW, but doesn't want/can't afford the load of stars on a different planet to him and makes him the top WCW guy, and forever gets pushed as one (and goes on to have a "hall of fame" worthy career from there). Proceeds to have one of the worst debut matches ever, yet 100% of the blame for it gets put on the other guy.

Even out of the WCW guys they did sign, how he was chosen to have a bigger role than DDP was madness.

Terry Taylor was under consideration to be in the original Fabulous Ones with Stan Lane before Steve Keirn got the gig instead

Lane also got the gig in the Midnight Express because Condrey quit and nobody could get a hold of Tom Prichard, who was Eaton and Cornette's first choice as replacement.

Mark Jindrak can consider himself unlucky being dropped by Evolution. He had a great look and altough his work at the time was limited he was no worse than Orton or Batista . Those guys where made by the getting the rub with Hunter and Flair and seeing how he's progressed to now be a very accomplished worker in Mexico. I think he would of have a decent chance of a good mid card run both in and after the group. Regardless of what you think of him as a talent getting chucked from Evolution was super unlucky

I don't think luck had much to do with that. Batista was always first choice. They considered putting Jindrak in the spot when Batista got injured but Trips fought to stick with the original plan, which obviously paid off.

Even if that's true, they must have been serious about going with Jindrak at one point. He was even present in the entrance video they did while Batista was out injured, though he was cropped out by the time it was aired on TV.

If he'd stood in between Triple H and Flair in the frame below he'd probably be a six time World Champion by now.

256fubl.jpg

Can't look beyond Booker T for luckiest, just based on a couple of months in 2001 alone. WWE decides to buy out WCW, but doesn't want/can't afford the load of stars on a different planet to him and makes him the top WCW guy, and forever gets pushed as one (and goes on to have a "hall of fame" worthy career from there). Proceeds to have one of the worst debut matches ever, yet 100% of the blame for it gets put on the other guy.

Even out of the WCW guys they did sign, how he was chosen to have a bigger role than DDP was madness.

Hmm. Not too sure if it was madness. I loved Page as much as the next WCW fan but towards the end of WCW he wasn't up to much was he? Well he was, but he wasn't the same Page of 1997/1998. The Insiders were pretty grim and he lost to Scott Stiener on the last ppv (not that that matters much). He and Booker T were maybe on equal footing and well you could tell Booker was always gonna be something special. I think that was part of WCW's entire problem. They never bothered to put Booker up with Nash and the rest of the lads who controlled the top of the card and so therefore Booker looks inferior and he should have been up there. He more than deserved his spot. I assume WWE decided to go with the younger guy who closed Nitro with two belts, rather than Page who was pretty old and presumably riddled with injuries if he retired a year after his WWF debut.

The Honky Tonk Man has to be one of the luckiest. He only got the IC title because Steamboat was a big soppy bollocks about wanting to spend time with his new sprog, and it was only supposed to be a transitional reign til they found out Jake was still fucked. Ended up with a record breaking title run that's probably never gonna be beaten. Considering he was a bit shite I'd say that's some real luck.

• Paid Members

you could tell Booker was always gonna be something special.

I really, really couldn't. And 14 years on still haven't seen him do anything approaching special.

The only time I've been entertained by him in the last ten years is the night he was Black Snow commentating on himself giving someone a beat down and that time he called Jerry Lawler "Jerome".

I assume WWE decided to go with the younger guy who closed Nitro with two belts,

He only ended the last Nitro with the title because WWE chose him to.

Add me to the 'nothing special about Booker' list. I quite enjoyed Harlem Heat as a team but never got the Booker love as a singles wrestler. Nothing particularly wrong with him, just not anything special, so id say he was quite lucky to achieve what he did.

Page on the other hand I did like. Was gutted he was the stalker because that stunk of career killing gimmick. Of all the guys they brought in for the invasion he would have been Mr WCW for me

They all look appalling. Flair's jacket is approaching alright but he's swimming in those kecks and should've run an iron over the shirt. The rest of them look like complete goons.

It's mad that they presumably thought they looked the business dressed like that. For a stable of made men they managed to look cheap as fuck.

• Paid Members

Terry Taylor was under consideration to be in the original Fabulous Ones with Stan Lane before Steve Keirn got the gig instead

Lane also got the gig in the Midnight Express because Condrey quit and nobody could get a hold of Tom Prichard, who was Eaton and Cornette's first choice as replacement.

Mark Jindrak can consider himself unlucky being dropped by Evolution. He had a great look and altough his work at the time was limited he was no worse than Orton or Batista . Those guys where made by the getting the rub with Hunter and Flair and seeing how he's progressed to now be a very accomplished worker in Mexico. I think he would of have a decent chance of a good mid card run both in and after the group. Regardless of what you think of him as a talent getting chucked from Evolution was super unlucky

I don't think luck had much to do with that. Batista was always first choice. They considered putting Jindrak in the spot when Batista got injured but Trips fought to stick with the original plan, which obviously paid off.

Even if that's true, they must have been serious about going with Jindrak at one point. He was even present in the entrance video they did while Batista was out injured, though he was cropped out by the time it was aired on TV.

If he'd stood in between Triple H and Flair in the frame below he'd probably be a six time World Champion by now.

Oh, aye, I'm just saying it wasn't particularly unlucky. If he'd got the spot just because the original, more suitable, choice had been injured then he'd have been extremely fortunate.

Thinking about it, Batista deserves a shout in the lucky column himself. He was in a decent spot with Evolution but he wasn't particularly over on his own until they did a one night tease of him turning on Triple H and the live crowd went absolutely mental. If it hadn't been for that, and Orton's babyface run flopping, it's anyone's guess how his career would've went.

The Honky Tonk Man has to be one of the luckiest. He only got the IC title because Steamboat was a big soppy bollocks about wanting to spend time with his new sprog, and it was only supposed to be a transitional reign til they found out Jake was still fucked. Ended up with a record breaking title run that's probably never gonna be beaten. Considering he was a bit shite I'd say that's some real luck.

Also, was the story not that it was originally to be Butch Reed that beat Steamboat but he no-showed the TV taping so they went with HTM instead?

Archived