The Championship and Lower Leagues Thread 2015/6

patiirc

• Paid Members

Brentford manager has gone already. Replaced by Lee Carsley until the end of the season. Many people pointing out the madness of getting rid of Mark Warburton only to end up in this situation.

Admire their experiment and it's far better thought out than most in the press give credit for but I'm not sure the Championship is the place to test it. Very few foreign/untried managers do well in that league either - experience of it goes a long way. Makes the job Karanka's done at Boro more impressive.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leeds United - Misunderstood fanbase who are being abused by a controlling owner, or constant hilarity factory?

LUFC sack Rosler after twelve games, replace him with human blimp

Hilariously, this still puts Rosler as the manager with the second longest tenure at Leeds since Cellino took charge.

I imagine the notoriously mild-mannered Steve Evans will be a great fit under Massimo. Take this quote from 2013:

Leeds are not a big club. Don't get me wrong, they used to be, now they're just a circus run by puppets, watched by blinkered seals. If they ever offered me a job, I'd turn it down. I want to be the captain of a cruise liner, not the Titanic

Oddly enough, further inspection suggests this was actually BEFORE Cellino took charge. Presumably he thinks Massimo came in and cleaned it all up...

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Cotterill shown the door. Things have been getting worse but this is honestly a surprise. 

Cotterill shown the door. Things have been getting worse but this is honestly a surprise. 

The whole season has been odd, typical city. Await cheap option and relegation again. Our team. Just. Don't. Learn

• Paid Members

The whole season has been odd, typical city. Await cheap option and relegation again. Our team. Just. Don't. Learn

It's certain members of the board. They want a yes-man what will go with what they think is best for the team and will quitely whimper when things aren't going well instead of biting heads off. That's why corduroy-wearers like Appleton are the favourites instead of Colin W., Moyes or the comedy option of Holloway (fears of partisan sabotage notwithstanding).

Cotts punched above our weight in trying to get aspiring kids to sign on who (rightly) don't want to move from one sinking ship to another one with slightly smaller holes. Fifteen more points and Zack Clough would have started on Tuesday, but who knows? Now we're essentially folding the Brom replay to take the cash, cut the overheads of a Peterborough embarassment and prepare us for our impending return to the league we blitzed last year, without most of the people responsible for it.

Rumour also is he was canned Bischoff-style, which is gutless and asks serious questions of Keith Dawe...

At the other end of the table I can't believe how well Boro are doing this season. I was dreading the playoff losers hangover at the start of the season, but we appear to be getting stronger and stronger after each game. Our defence is ridiculously solid; we haven't conceded a home goal since September when we beat Brentford 3-1 and only conceded 2 goals all season. Our defence has not conceded a goal in over 820 minutes of league football, and only conceded 12 all season in the league (a quarter of them was against Hull!)  

I have never felt so confident that we will get promotion than this season. Aitor Karanka has worked a miracle since coming to Middlesbrough. In his short time in the club he has created a team that will fight until the bitter end. Not only that the bond between the fans and players are the strongest I have seen since the late 80's. It is a far cry from the team of journeyman and cloggers during Southgate and Strachan's reigns of terror. Premier League here we come (I hope)

Brizzle peeps - At least you can say you have won at the Riverside this season!

• Paid Members

Boro have played a blinder all season, big wins when we need them and draws at worst.

Thanks for that :D

• Paid Members

I'm still confident Bolton are going to survive and be in the Championship still next season...which then leads me to believe that I need help for my mental issues

I can't see it but there are enough really dire sides in the league to give you half a chance if you can sort yourselves out.

Sounds like if it wasn't for Eddie Davies, relegation would be the least of Bolton's worries. £175m-worth of debt is ludicrous for any club, let alone one with 2 wins to its name & heading south. Thankfully the external debts sound like they're relatively under control. I was concerned when North End went down a few years back, owing around £13m. Fortunately we got an interest-free loan from the guy who should've been running the club for the previous 40 years. Only Preston would be stupid enough to block one of the richest men in the country & a Preston fan to boot, from taking majority control. Now at the age of 80, his years left on planet-to -investment reward ratio isn't going to be the best & that's reflected in the signings we make, as astute as they may well be. Anyway, back to the Trotters. Probably time you spent a while lower down the leagues. It's been 25 years+ & chances are you've probably forgotten how much fun, agony and chaos you can have in the lower depths. #properfootball.

- edit - this was written coincidentally, on the day of the Court hearing, which I was unaware of at the time. A bit more time bought as a result of that. I had previously wondered why nobody seemed in much of a rush to get their cash (back).

The £175m of debt that gets bandied about a lot is a bit silly really.  The majority of that is owed to Eddie Davies, it's interest free, and he's already said that with any takeover, the debt will be wiped clean and we don't have to pay him back.  What we owe out is a lot less than that, unfortunately what we owe out is to the Taxman and to our players who went unpaid in November and only received part of their wages in December, just to stop them legally walking away from the club.

Archived