Emigrating... (anyone done it?)

WWFChilli

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I've got a mate over in the states and she in the past has offered to marry me so I could get a visa or citizenship or whatever. It can't be that simple can it?

Nope you need proof that your a genuine couple. Joint mail, that you've lived toghether etc.

Nearly went to Japan, Germany, Italy and Australia when I was younger as Dad's job meant that he was in demand all over the place. However, mum put kibosh on most of them at a very late stage, with visa's embassy visits houses etc sorted as she was caring for her parents and didn't want to leave them.

With no ties now is going to be something I seriously consider once house sale money comes through

• Paid Members

I've got a mate over in the states and she in the past has offered to marry me so I could get a visa or citizenship or whatever. It can't be that simple can it?

Nope you need proof that your a genuine couple. Joint mail, that you've lived toghether etc.

You need an amazing amount of proof, really. There is a lot is suspicion on all sides of the debate that they insinuate that they're going to deny you, just to induce a bit of despair and really sort the men from the boys.

Still, my UK to US journey was a much better experience than the wife's aborted US to UK process - who needs a CIA black site when you have Luna House?

• Moderators

Moving to the US is definitely not easy. I got my green card shortly before Christmas and I'd been here since 2002. Now that isn't even a case of "I had to wait 12 years for it", but I went down a road that finally put me in a position where my company agreed to sponsor me for a green card about 2 years ago.

• Paid Members

Moving to the US is definitely not easy. I got my green card shortly before Christmas and I'd been here since 2002. Now that isn't even a case of "I had to wait 12 years for it", but I went down a road that finally put me in a position where my company agreed to sponsor me for a green card about 2 years ago.

Are you going for citizenship in the end?

Archived