Emigrating... (anyone done it?)

WWFChilli

• Paid Members

Me and the missus have pondered the idea in the past of emigrating somewhere else. Not really gave it much deep thought, but recently it's become a more prevalent topic. Anyone here ever done it, or considered it. How easy can it be, general thoughts? 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

Canada was somewhere I looked at too. The missus lived in Australia as a nipper, I reckon she would prefer to go there. Places like the US I've heard are not exactly easy to emigrate too apparently.

Unless you have a very specific job , reason or family links there it's pretty much impossible to decide to just move to America sadly.

Come to Gibraltar! Cheap fags, cheap booze and tax free.. Also if you're still a wrestling fan you get the Region 1 DVD's before they're released by Fremantle Media lol

What are the job prospects like on the rock?

It depends what you're looking for but there is a lot of jobs and Gib hasnt been affected by the recession as opposed to our neighbours Spain.

• Paid Members

I became a U.S. citizen about a year ago - it wasn't a big struggle, because I'm married to a natural-born citizen, but I'm sure it's a nightmare outside of those circumstances. Britain isn't in on the diversity lottery, and half of the news here is about how messed up the immigration system is. If you can splash a bunch of investment money around, you might be good.

Best thing I ever did, and if you keep it within the EU it's almost entirely free of red tape so you only have to sort your personal shit.

Could you expand on this please, Coconut?

One of the main reasons I started working for myself is to aim to build the business up to the point where I can offer to create a few jobs there if I can get a visa.

Any idea what the opportunities are like for journalists in the US? When I was younger all I wanted to do was live over there. Circumstances have changed now, with having a little'un etc. but I'm still young enough to consider it when she's a fair bit older if there's ever a possibility.

Archived