Silver Vision Memories

Onyx2

• Paid Members

I think the WWF Action DVD was probably the first wrestling DVD I bought. I always remember it having the amazing ' this DVD contains no footage of Trish in a bikini' disclaimer on the back. Did someone make you put that on?

There was a UK only promotional tape (WH Smiths, perhaps?) that also used that gag. They stuck Lita on the cover, and on the back stated that she didn't appear on the tape, but it "made you look!".

The footage of Trish that I'm talking about wasn't actually used on Postcard from the Caribbean itself, it was extra footage that the guys had from filming her for that shoot decided to leak the full thing onto the net a while back. The stuff that you had seen on Postacard was just an edited cut of said footage. So basically it was one of the camera guys that kept the full thing for himself and decided to upload it onto a torrent site. But now the original source can't be found.

Edited by Glass Smash

• Paid Members

Great thread and all that.  My question:

The price of new DVD releases seemed to get lower with time.  For example, the screenshot of the SV website from 2001 shows a Backlash 2001 DVD as being £20, but I remember new DVD releases generally being around £12 when SV folded.  The price of  new VHS releases may have dropped too from what they were in the late 80s to when they stopped them in the early 00s, but I don't know as it was before my time.

What was the reason for this decrease in price?  Did the profit margin fall on each unit sold?

I've never really bought any DVDs other than wrestling ones so maybe it's a general trend.  It just seems odd that when you think of other entertainment products, like magazines for example, the price always goes up in time, presumably in-part due to inflation. 

Just spotted this thread. I am also a former employee of silver vision. It was my first proper job out of uni and although it took me 1hr 20 to get in every day was worth it. As a life long wrestling fan it was a dream job. I worked in production so had a slightly different experience to the other guys. Some notes on tagged classics... When I started they were on a break so I re-structured the release schedule so we could get every ppv out up till the wwe change asap. I would get a vhs out of the library (the dreamy place linked in first post) and spin through and check for countdowns or extra WWF home video exclusives. If there was a countdown it would be on a separate master so I would go to the master library (held off site) and dig around for it. The only tagged classic that had a countdown on the original release but not on tagged classic was wm 11. We just didn't have the tape. That was very annoying. Once the master tape was encoded I would get a DVD check disc and watch it. Oh yes paid to watch classic WWF. I would be checking the quality though which is different from sitting on your couch enjoying it. There were a lot of technical errors but there was no option not to release so we did our best to encode to the highest level. The very worst master was surprisingly summerslam 1998. The picture quality was very poor. The tapes were looked after very well it was extremely important but I don't know what happened to this one. We had a back up DVD so managed to release that one with an acceptable standard of quality. The thought of collectors having a giant hole in their collection was a disaster for me. The menus changed when we changed DVD authors. All menus had to be sent to wwe for approval. Some of the extras from the 2001 releases we did not have masters for either. However with a bit of technical giggery we got them on there. If a non wrestling fan was running this process they wouldn't care about countdowns or extras. Glad to read people love these releases as I loved working on them. Will send more notes out soon.

I was surprised at how bad WrestleMania 16 looked on Tagged Classics considering that it was a direct copy of the DVD version as it contained the same extras as the original release.  KOTR 2000 looked shit too. Some of the older PPV's from the early 90's looked better than some of the ones from 2000 on TC.

Good to see you whatyouworriedabout :) Some years ago I was at the MMA exhibition Seni for the weekend with work and was due to go to RAW on the Monday and meet some competition winners. I was shattered from the weekend so asked whatyouworriedabout if he'd be able to go in my place. Hi kindly agreed and that was the night Michaels had that epic match with Cena. Gutted!

As for prices - that's a general trend for physical media. New release blockbuster films come out at £10, which would have been an absolute bargain a decade ago. Supermarkets have a lot to do with this - as their market share grew so did their bargaining power, and wanting everything at the lowest possible price they drive the market prices down.

I think the WWF Action DVD was probably the first wrestling DVD I bought. I always remember it having the amazing ' this DVD contains no footage of Trish in a bikini' disclaimer on the back. Did someone make you put that on?

There was a UK only promotional tape (WH Smiths, perhaps?) that also used that gag. They stuck Lita on the cover, and on the back stated that she didn't appear on the tape, but it "made you look!".

Live in the UK.. I have that somewhere, some newspaper promotion, LIta on the cover in a Union Jack Jumper.

I liked Silvervision, the megamails were always a godsend about things I could never afford and I got plenty when they dumped VHS and ditto when they shut. I have some odds bods and sods that mean nowt, like  the Best of Raws '97 ish, Year in reviews and so forth, could never fault their delivery ever. Always spot on.

Were there ever plans to expand into books other merch etc? or have I missed that?

• Awards Moderator

Problem is Pat is that almost all the other merch lines were sewn up with other providers. The business lacked the infrastructure to do other lines at volume, whereas it had pedigree in video production and distribution.