Silver Vision Memories

Onyx2

Stephen passing was a very sad day for the company. I also loved his road stories. He said once Kennedy got drunk and abusive in a hotel and wanted to fight a fan and Benoit dragged him off and put him to bed. Flair was very cocky and unlikeable according to Stephen. He disliked him so much despite having tickets for his hall of fame induction he didn't go. Cena is super cool apparently and can drink a shit load of Jack Daniels. My favourite story he told me was that he was in the allocated wwe hotel and heard a lot of noise in the hall. When he opened the door he seen an attractive young female fan in full goldust attire. Go Dustin!

My favourite part of working at silver vision was actually creating match lists for our smaller titles in Italy and France that were sold in kiosks. We would pick a wrestler that was hot at the time and create a 90 main selection of his matches and release on dvd. I would create the list and send it to wwe for approval. I knew we couldn't use Benoit and for a long time no lesnar on matches and had to be wwe not wwf but most of my matches were approved. They were very popular and the UK released a lot of them later. After the bios ran out we did a 'best of' selection. We did a best of smaackdown which was the very first smackdown DVD ever released and the first time that big show lesnar ring break was ever released. The best of raw included the Shelton HBK match for the first time. There were supposed to be around eight more of which I had named like raw carnage (hardcore matches from raw) but the line was dropped. For the avid collectors there was a leaflet inside some of the dvds listing the upcoming titles that were never made. I used to look on here and people would slag off the match lists which was funny. It was also fun to source the extras for these titles and live in the UK.

A unknown fact people may not know is that the UK version of No Mercy 2007 DVD is edited. I think it is this one; it's HHH vs. Orton in two out of three falls. The BBFC would not pass this. There is a part of the match where there is a hanging with a bullrope. I sent the edit list to WWE thinking there would be this massive jump cut and we would get so many complaints. It was an amazing edit, I didn't even see it. And we got no complaints!

Stephen passing was a very sad day for the company. I also loved his road stories. He said once Kennedy got drunk and abusive in a hotel and wanted to fight a fan and Benoit dragged him off and put him to bed. Flair was very cocky and unlikeable according to Stephen. He disliked him so much despite having tickets for his hall of fame induction he didn't go. Cena is super cool apparently and can drink a shit load of Jack Daniels. My favourite story he told me was that he was in the allocated wwe hotel and heard a lot of noise in the hall. When he opened the door he seen an attractive young female fan in full goldust attire. Go Dustin!

Yeah I remember him telling me how great Cena is and very humble too. Top lad he was, I miss him quite alot. What's the Tagged Classic everyone wanted to see get released more than any other? For me it was In Your House 9 & 10. I distinctly remember in 2007 we hadnt seen any IYH releases in a while and then all of a sudden 3 & 4, 5 & 6 etc all came out within months of each other. 11 & 12 I remember getting on the same day as FIFA 08 when I was back home from University for a week.

One of the best things about working for SV was all the goodies I got given over the years, as well as attending many events, obviously. At home I have boxes of stuff in the spare room, including a pink satin WWF robe that my boss gave me many years ago. I'll take a pic at some point as I'm not sure where it came from - maybe someone will recognise it. Below is a pic of a few bits that were lying around in my office - a very old faded WWF cap, a very heavy paperweight, a bit of the WrestleMania 22 ring canvas encased in glass and some Power Chipz, wherever on earth they are?!

tLht37z.jpg

• Awards Moderator

The Powers That Be referred to the customers as "little Johnny". Like, there was only one persona that defined everybody who bought a WWE DVD. 

It was decided that the site wouldn't store credit card details (so had to be entered every time) in case "little Johnny" accidentally spent all his Mum's money.

• Paid Members

What were the sales of the "Live in the UK" titles like compared to a run of the mill PPV?  I remember seeing a copy of one (albeit a Freemantle one) for £20 in HMV and taking a photo to show a mate as I couldn't believe anyone would pay that much for an episode of Raw and Smackdown (unless they attended the shows themselves maybe).

live_in_the_uk.jpg

Edited by bbabba

• Awards Moderator

Live in the UK sales were rock solid-predictable. I can't recall what the figure was but it was slightly above a normal B level PPV, with the advantage that these would sell in the same numbers over a 12 month period. It was a still a novelty in the late 2000s to have an episode of Raw / SmackDown to watch on a disc at home.

One of my favourite jobs was to go through the previous tour's pictures and find one that would make a great front cover. WWE were very stingy about what photos they would provide to select from, so I would go on WWE.com and find one to request. Even then they were reluctant.

This probably was my favourite:

51jLwPgDCML._SY300_.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Awards Moderator

Silver Vision had loads of these gifted from WWE as 'awards' for selling lots of particular titles (all VHS I think). They were all round the office. There should only be 1 of each in existence.

The next bit is a guess which Steve might know more about but they probably got sold after going into administration. The seller sounds like a wheeler dealer.

Edited by Onyx2