Silver Vision Memories

Onyx2

• Awards Moderator

I have kept all of my mail catologues, must have about a dozen.

Random memory i have is seeing what the SilverVision advert would be each year in the video game, usually the back pages

That was really hard to schedule just right. You had to provide THQ with the collateral in May or June in time for an October release, so you were casting ahead for what might still look relevant. It was too often we just said "sod it, the Tagged Classics one again" or "Buy 3 save 10%?"

Over the years I found in cupboards or was given various bits and bobs by the boss. Many were old giveaways from the early to mid 90s VHS days. So I got some out of the very much in need of a clear out spare room, and these are first up.

I8k71rC.jpg

Now I never had any of the Bret Hart videos back in the day so maybe you can tell me, did they come with the video, or did you need to send off for them? I have a pile of each of these, something I didn't realise until I was rummaging around my 'wrestling boxes' earlier today.

Edit: just noticed they are a set of 5, so now I need to go searching to see if I have the other two as well.

Edited by Midnight Zeus

Loved silver vision as many have said especially after paying over the odds at hmv for my first few tapes. The time in 2002 was great for me as you guys were selling off stock cheap due to the name change. I was still at school but used most of my little disposable income to get my mots on stuff. Regretted not buying more pre attitude stuff. Actually I cant remember which tapes I got. That'll keep me up tonight.

also I think it was you guys who sent me a wrong tape once and then let me keep it. Was thrilled

Out of interest what happened to the left over Wwf stock After the name change?

Edited by simonworden

No, left years before you started. When I first started I had no knowledge of any of the advertising for the web, so seeing this in the newspaper was the first I saw of it!

QN6F7ZN.jpg

This was a code that appeared in the newspaper, and then on putting it into the vault on the website, the vault opened to allow you to order Invasion at a reduced price, and some other videos that were on sale only in the vault. This was quite technical for the SV website at the time and one of my first promotions that got the green light.

From what I remember that was a WCW Magazine giveaway that never happened because WWF bought WCW, so they gave them all to is and we resleeved them and released them under Wrestle Vision,not he only title ever to go under that label. It was released on it's own too, as well as as a double pack.

• Paid Members

Now I never had any of the Bret Hart videos back in the day so maybe you can tell me, did they come with the video, or did you need to send off for them?

The first Bret tape came with one of those double-image cards that changed what picture it showed when you tilt it, and a temporary transfer of Bret's crosshairs logo.

ANYHOO, here's one for you.

I'm back at the family home right now and decided to pop in my Silver Vision tape of WrestleMania VIII, and much to my delight prior to the main feature is the much-maligned ad for the infamous McMahon failure, the WBF. Replete with splash graphics about "FREAKY" "PAIN" and "GAIN." I mean, this is the gayest thing I've ever seen. I've seen a photo of a man with another man's penis in his mouth, and it's not as gay as that trailer. But right at the end, the best graphic of all reads "Only available from Silver Vision." So I have to ask..... did Silver Vision actually sell any WBF tapes? And more importantly, did they actually sell any?

Of course the fatal flaw with the Mania VIII tape is that as well as the WBF trailer there is one for the 1991 Royal Rumble - which makes me consider sacking off Mania VIII and watching that instead.

I never saw any in all my time there and we never sold any in my time. It was very much against their policy to delete titles, always producing more no matter how long it took to sell them, so it would be very out of character to delete that one. However, many moons ago, way before I started working there, I'm sure I remember seeing a WBF video being sold in a second hand video shop. It could well have been a US copy, I never paid it much attention. There were no WBF videos in the company library. I do have a WBF press kit upstairs, so I'll grab that and scan it in a some point.