Silver Vision Memories

Onyx2

• Paid Members

....and great service as they arrived in 2-3 days.

I think it was the Randy Savage boxed set that I ordered at about six in the evening, and received the next morning.

That's great to hear, but I genuinely don't know how that's possible!

I can only assume it's because they were being ordered en masse that night and you have a load ready to be labelled and dispatched.

There was another occasion where I received the order in less than 24 hours that left me perplexed.

The staffing levels were just right a lot of the time, except at Christmas when a good proportion of the company would end up in the warehouse in the lead up to the Royal Mail cut off day.

I remember when the Dusty Rhodes DVD was due in and our warehouse manager was away. It was getting later and later in the day and it finally came in with less than an hour before Royal Mail were due to do the pick up. Gary and I were so adamant it go out that day that we, along with the other warehouse guy, frantically packed and labelled all however many hundreds of pre-orders there were, and every single one went out, in time.

• Awards Moderator

When there was a large pre order due in, it would often come in a day early. As a team we could get 'em all packed and labeled ready for collection on release day.

Generally, orders were picked and printed 2 to 3 times a day. Typically 8.30am and 3pm but occasionally in between. Royal Mail picked up at 4.45pm and that was that.

Location played a key part. Being North of London, just inside the M25 and a few miles south of the Hatfield distribution centre placed it perfectly for connecting to the rest of the country.

But yeah, like Steve said, we were fans and _wanted_ everyone to get their DVDs ASAP. (Pretty sure you're describing Definitive Ric Flair Steve, Dusty was before my time).

Edited by Onyx2

Like everyone else, I've nothing bad to say about Silver Vision. Almost every order I placed arrived next day, and the longest I ever had to wait for an order was 3 days, which is still faster than Amazon's super saver delivery. I also got the CM Punk blu-ray about a week early when I pre-ordered it. I remember the parcel being on the doormat and wondering what the hell I'd ordered because I wasn't expecting it that soon.

As for wwedvd.co.uk, the missus ordered me the Paul Heyman blu-ray for my birthday and it took 9 working days. Terrible.

• Awards Moderator

Remember this?

7HfVfLl.jpg

Doing this was so much fun. It was going to be connected to a huge year-long competition that culminated in winning a trip to WrestleMania. Unfortunately the funds dried up and the other component to this couldn't be completed so it never materialised.

• Paid Members

I haven't bought a single wrestling DVD/Bluray since SilverVision shut up shop :( In truth, I might never get any more now that the Network is here. You guys really did an outstanding job, I think I always got my orders either next day or the day after which is incredible for a free delivery service and the sales (especially in the final few years- was it 'Mega Mondays' or something like that?) were usually terrific for picking up bargains, and you could still get that 10% discount when you bought three items, even in the sale! I've got several boxsets still in the cellophane from those closing down sales that I just haven't got around to watching yet.

This thread has been a really interesting read.

• Paid Members

Superstar Billy Graham - in total BBFC wanted to take 15 minutes of footage out, and we thought that compromised the title too much so chose not to release it.

Christ, what were they looking to cut??  Considering what had been released without issue it's incredible that a title made up of archive footage would demand so many cuts.

I think they had problems with the bullrope matches.

Think it was that and the choking with the bullrope in the Dusty Rhodes vs Billy Graham matches. Match was mental.

Wild Wednesday. I was inspired at an ecommerce show!

The thing about Make Your Mark was that several modules never actually got activated, so there was a level at which point profile power never went any further. You'd get points for purchases, reviews, adding items to your wish list and entering competitions. They were capped though, so once you maxed those out your profile power never went any further. The Road To Wrestlemania part left a big hole that was never filled. We used to get quite a few emails asking about profile power!

Promo video change - you probably know more than me, way before my time!

• Paid Members

I think the Silver Vision promo video in ingrained in my memory. Question, I always heard there was a second SV promo video sometime around 1992. Is that true because I've never seen it.

Was that the one that ends with Randy Savage pointing over to the WWF sign?

Narrator of the Silver Vision advert pops up on a few old VHS rental tapes. He does the "No Flying" warning before the film "The Boy Who Could Fly". Must have been some sort of jobbing actor.

Do you know of a Randy Savage tape been produced around 1994 as a UK exclusive? I put a clip of a Savage-Giant Gonzalez match on YouTube and the copyright ID notice from WWE was "HV_MachoUK" (and HV definitely stands for home video as I tested other video releases also)

Could this of got scrapped when Savage left for WCW?

Don't know anything about it I'm afraid. They have a history of planning releases, and then changing or scrapping them. It sounds entirely reasonable what you are saying, because Savage going to WCW didn't sit well with Vince, from what I've read.

Somewhere in the spare room I have a kind of scrapbook of my first few months with the company, where I'd print off screenshots of stuff we did, and ads we placed. If I can find it I'll take some pics and add them to this thread. I know the Video Vault is there, which was a highly technical promotion for SV at the time, and we advertised it in national newspapers.

• Paid Members

Do you know of a Randy Savage tape been produced around 1994 as a UK exclusive? I put a clip of a Savage-Giant Gonzalez match on YouTube and the copyright ID notice from WWE was "HV_MachoUK" (and HV definitely stands for home video as I tested other video releases also)

Could this of got scrapped when Savage left for WCW?

I'm sure a Gonzalez vs Savage match turns up on one of those Silver Vision compilations. Might have been "WWF Grudge Matches".

• Awards Moderator

Worth linking to posts like this from the Silver Vision RIP thread:

Being the first to see the release schedule, the masters, organise the Tagged Classics release order and create my own match lists for compilations was a thrill.

I remember you suggested a title and match list commemorating 25 years of WWE Live UK events which unfortunately got shot down. Not exactly a mainstream release but hardcore fans would've loved it. And would've been a rarity on the US market.

I forgot about that! That was a killer match list! There were a lot of titles shot down by WWE over the years. I remember spending hours trying to sell them a 'WWE Interactive Quiz' DVD when that was massive a few Xmas' back. They didn't understand the concept at all. I even had 'What happened next' with Batista climbing over the cage and stuff like that. They would say stuff like 'right we're doing a Big Show DVD for Italy go and find his 5 best matches for the DVD'. What great afternoon research!