Silver Vision Memories

Onyx2

• Paid Members

I love that they printed on lined paper. You gotta keep them costs down!

I used to get the A5 Silvervision catalogue as a kid. This was around '98 i think. It had full colour photos of (i presume all) the tapes they had in stock, complete with match listings and spelling mistakes. I'm pretty sure they had the wrong match listings for certain videos as well. I would cirlce the tapes i wanted like it was the back of an Argos catalogue. I think my last order from there was In Your House: Bad Blood, In Your House: Buried Alive, a HBK comp tape and a Steve Austin comp tape. My dad was an on/off fan at the time but he loved Steve Austin so he was eager to break into the Steve Austin video as soon as it arrived. Good times.

I tried searching for photos of the catalogue but couldn't find anything. However, this came up in the search results;

raw2.jpg

I used to love these videos. I had quite a few, never really had the full set though. I remember the 1997 editions being chockablock full of matches, about 20 to a tape. There were a couple of tapes, i can't remeber which ones, that were fucking motherload videos. It had everything that was great about '97 on there. Bret/HBK angles, the infamous HHH/Cactus Jack street fight, Austin/HBK tag matches, HBK/Undertaker angles, the  build-up to Canadian Stampede and some entertaining filler. I've watched a lot of Best Of WWF DVD's over the past few years that cover '96/'97, but nothing captured the action and atmosphere like these videos did. If someone has the entire run of this series of videos and has converted them to a more modern format, they would be hailed as a really nice chap and someone whom i would exchange pleasantries with.

Do you know of a Randy Savage tape been produced around 1994 as a UK exclusive? I put a clip of a Savage-Giant Gonzalez match on YouTube and the copyright ID notice from WWE was "HV_MachoUK" (and HV definitely stands for home video as I tested other video releases also)

Could this of got scrapped when Savage left for WCW?

I'm sure a Gonzalez vs Savage match turns up on one of those Silver Vision compilations. Might have been "WWF Grudge Matches".

That was on Year in Review 93, this was a different Savage-Gonzalez match that Savage wins in about 30 seconds

Yup, that was a printout I put in my work book to keep track of things and have a record of activity.

So who remembers this?

LiUA5lR.jpg

Riddled with mistakes it took me about 2 full years of lobbying to stop it being sent out. This one is pretty tattered, I have a better kept one somewhere, along with all the previous and subsequent Mega Mail brochures and newsletters.

That's going back a bit!

We had lots of very loyal customers, and that's putting it mildly. I remember when we made the move to finally stop doing VHS, we had one customer who was so distressed, that we bought them a DVD player so they could continue collecting WWE releases.

There were some huge perks working for a company like that, as a wrestling fan. Before I'd even joined the company, but had a start date, I was at Rebellion 2000 and my future boss invited me backstage where I met Crash and Molly Holly. I look awful in the photo having stayed at a friend's house and having a few beers the night before. I remember seeing Kane bending down to go through a doorway and getting an idea of just how huge these guys were. See, as a kid I had nobody to to wrestling shows with, so I didn't. Starting work with SV certainly changed that, and I went to so many thereafter.

Edited by Midnight Zeus

• Awards Moderator

Incidentally I just came across this nugget on WhatCulture:

The most shipped video titles of the last nine months were WrestleMania XXX (158,000), Slam City (100,000), Ultimate Warrior: Ultimate Collection (94,000), Best of Sting (73,000) and WCW’s Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches Vol. 1 (53,000).