Best 2 matches on the same show?

JNLister

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

What was the NOAH event in 2004 that had the amazing Akiyama/Kobashi match and a fantastic Liger JH match underneath?

Departure, which was pretty shit hot all over ;

Departure -

* Main evented with the long-awaited GHC title defence with the 16 month reign of Kenta Kobashi in jeopardy as he defended for the first (and only) time against former partner/long-time rival, Jun Akiyama, in a match essentially that had been anticipated from the moment Kobashi won the belt, and that many felt Akiyama was destined to win, and without doubt the most anticipated title match of the year.

* Featured the FIRST EVER in ring meeting of Puro deities Mitsuharu Misawa and Keiji Muto either side of a tag title match. The place went mental just the two of them getting in the ring, never mind doing anything.

* The "nasty outsider" and junior legend Jushin "Thunder" Liger defending NOAH'S junior belt against Kanemaru.

* IWGP tag champs (and renowned hard cases) Minoru Suzuki & Yoshihiro Takayama defending on Noah soil against Noah's own (renowned hard cases) Wild II.

* Marufuji & KENTA defending their junior belts - the opponents (Sugiura & Kendo Ka Shin) could have been fucking anyone at the time, you knew it was going to be the balls.

For WWF/E shows I'd throw Royal Rumble 2000 in there. The Hardys/Dudleys table elimination match and the Cactus/Triple H Streetfight were both red-hot, Attitude Era classics. Though both possibly fit into the "what the fuck were they thinking with those chairshots/bumps" category, in retrospect. At the time though, shit hot!

How about Wrestlewar 1992? The famous War Games match is the classic everyone remembers but Pillman vs Zenk is one of my favourites - great match with a really effective story of former partners knowing each other's moves. The Steiners match with Fujinami and Izuka was really good too.

Bugger, beat me to it.

I'll go for Superbrawl III Benoit vs Scorpio and Vader vs Sting in a strap match.

Didn't Wrestlemania 19 have a mental series of matches one after the other? Hogan vs McMahon, The Rock vs Austin and Brock vs Kurt Angle. Excellent ending to a PPV. Three excellent matches there.

Michaels V Jericho was a cracker too. WrestleMania 19 was probably the last decent one. All others since have almost been one match shows.

A couple just sprung to mind. Not quite 5-star, but great anyway: 2013 G1 (4/8) Ishii vs. Shibata & Nakamura vs. Ibushi, both must have been MOTY contenders & oddly enough an All Japan event from 2004 (18/7) Kojima vs. Misawa & Kawada vs. Omori. Haven't watched the latter for years, so not sure if it holds up.

I'd say last years WrestleMania was more than a one match show. The opener and main event were absolutely fantastic.

I wouldn't have WMXX as a one match show either. The triple threat is the most talked about in hindsight, but Undertaker/Kane, Rock & Sock/Evolution, and Goldberg/Lesnar were all hyped going in. WMXXX had Lesnar/Taker too.

It's a fair shout for most of the Manias in between though.

• Paid Members

I'd say last years WrestleMania was more than a one match show. The opener and main event were absolutely fantastic.

I wouldn't have WMXX as a one match show either. The triple threat is the most talked about in hindsight, but Undertaker/Kane, Rock & Sock/Evolution, and Goldberg/Lesnar were all hyped going in. WMXXX had Lesnar/Taker too.

I said it earlier in the thread but I'll mention it again for the sake of proving Glass Smash wrong. Wrestlemania 24 had two crackers. Undertaker vs Edge and HBK vs Flair. 

And 21 had, for me, at least three really good matches in Michaels/Angle, Undertaker/Orton, and the first Money In The Bank.

22 had Cena/HHH which I thought was brilliant, and HBK vs Vince which everyone thought was great.

23 had two great title matches and a fun Money In The Bank.

In fact, the "one match show" thing is almost completely bollocks.

Archived