NJPW World

Sphinx

Having just read a badly translated article, it appears that New Japan are in the process of restructuring talent contracts. Reading between the lines, it sounds like they were rattled by the loss of; AJ, Nakamura, Anderson & Gallows & don't want to become a feeder / regional Promotion. Sounds like they also want to make Okada a mainstream personality.

I dunno, I think they're kinda coming across like they're happy to be a feeder system. The whole crying in the ring saying goodbye to the graduate was a bit silly, and they wouldn't shut up about Nakamura during the Tanahashi/Omega match. Let alone all the Nakamura spots and references all the way through. What happened to jobbing people on the way out? 

Speaking of Tanahashi vs. Omega. It was alright, nothing much...Omega did some comedy wearing a Naito mask...then he f'd his knee up...then like a couple of shit stains out from under the ring popped the Young Bucks to turn it into an early 2000's RAW match with tons of interference. Including the aluminum dustbin. Then Red Shoes f'd up near falls. Tanahashi looked like his arm might fall off. Then it was mercifully over. Then Omega sang a song and acted like a child for a speech. It was quite the spectacle. Oh, I forgot Omega doing Styles spots too, just to make sure we remembered he's graduated to the big time too.

TOO SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEET!

That would directly contradict the owner of New Japan, who specifically made the point that they are not and do not wish to be a feeder company, hence the contract restructuring.

Of course it would, but sometimes people say and do two different things. Maybe that's the way they're going to be, God know they should've put foreigners under longer contracts years ago.

But the other week they had no problem presenting a graduation from their company. It made them look second rate. Banging on about him on today's show and doing his spots looked a bit pandering too. Maybe it was just tonight for the title decider, but if they keep referencing him they'll look bad.

• Paid Members

Styles took Devitt's finish when he left and it didnt do AJ any harm. I dont think it matters all that much. Way bigger things to worry about that stealing a few spots. Kenny Omega is a fantastic wrestler, but if his matches are going to be filled with Young Bucks run ins and the odd comedy spot that he likes to do, its not going to do his cause much good in his goal to become a New Japan headliner.

Graduation in the Japanese sense doesn't really mean somebody is moving on to bigger and better things (although of course it can) In Japan the word "graduation" is used in a lot of different situations, from school, to moving departments at work, to when pop singers leave their band to either leave the business entirely. It's more about moving onto another stage in life and celebrating the times that person had with the company rather than saying "well done, now you've finally made it to the big time"

Goto gets a lot of apathy but I love the guy. 9/10 he will produce something special in a big match situation. Unfortunately Osaka was not one of those times. Both All of Goto and Okada's previous singles matches have been great so I have no idea what happaned there. Maybe Goto, after losing 8 straight World title matches in almost 9 years has just given up

Haven't seen the second show yet. Sounds good from the reports but I'm not at all sold of Kenneth Omega the main eventer. Guy can go in the ring but the "Cleaner" character is the worst. Terrible, terrible promos which I think are trying to be so OTT and hammy that they become good but in fact are just embarrassing. He comes across as the massive geek that he is

Is there a point to the NEVER titles? (Singles and 6 man)

The 6 man belts are a bit pointless, and whilst the NEVER singles matches have been good recently, couldn't they be for the IC title or even another IWGP title of sorts? Seems very random to have a different brand of title on the shows.

That would directly contradict the owner of New Japan, who specifically made the point that they are not and do not wish to be a feeder company, hence the contract restructuring.

Of course it would, but sometimes people say and do two different things. Maybe that's the way they're going to be, God know they should've put foreigners under longer contracts years ago.

But the other week they had no problem presenting a graduation from their company. It made them look second rate. Banging on about him on today's show and doing his spots looked a bit pandering too. Maybe it was just tonight for the title decider, but if they keep referencing him they'll look bad.

Niall- can you clear your pms or shoot me your email address- need to drop you a line- thanks Edited by MECox

• Paid Members

Is there a point to the NEVER titles? (Singles and 6 man)

The singles title is awesome. It has transformed into the "hard bastards" title and gives something for the midcarders to fight over and give those matches more meaning. Honma v Ishii decision match last year when Makabe had the flu was one of the matches I was most emotionally invested in all year. And no, it's not superfluous because the midcarders have the I title to fight over. This isn't WWE where "midcard" is all encompassing for everyone that isn't in actual main events. The I title is for your upper midcarders, your guys that essentially are knocking on the door, the guys that would not look out of place earning a shot at the big belt. Your Honma/Ishii types (maybe even Makabe) won't be Intercontinental champ any time soon, but they can still have heated, dramatic matches over the NEVER title.

The 6 man titles might as well be a "faction" title. Bullet Club just have something extra for their undercard guys to fight for. They'll feud with Chaos openers like YOSHI-HASHI and mates, and I can imagine the 3rd gen guys (Nagata/TenKoji) going for them. I'm undecided as to its' value as a championship yet. Because it's only just started up, for Christ's sake.

• Paid Members

Aha. I think the original concept of the NEVER title was that it was for people that had yet to win the big belt. But they must have binned that, since Makabe has held it. So... fuck knows.

After a quick google:

On July 12, 2010, NJPW officially announced the NEVER project, which was to highlight younger up-and-coming talent and outside wrestlers not signed to the promotion.[1][2] It was explained that the name of the project was an acronym of the terms "New Blood", "Evolution", "Valiantly", "Eternal" and "Radical.

I was aware the original plan for for a newly single Naito to win it, and be the "face" of NEVER, although he got injured and Masato Tanaka won the title hah. Since then I don't think any NEVER events have been held and its now another title on the main shows for some reason hah.

Edited by Mr.E

• Paid Members

They did a great job of making a star out of Kenny Omega against Tanahashi. Still have my doubts about some of the more wacky stuff he did, the singing, the cleaning brush etc but overall he really rose to the occasion. Top job by an injured Tanahashi too.

Really liked the junior match and the Honma/Makabe and Bullet Club tag too. Gallows and Gun have been on great form now they’re on the way out. Looks like their actual last shows are this weekend’s cards with ROH in Japan, which look like lots of fun:

Friday 9.30am UK Time:

•Jushin Liger & Matt Sydal vs. Dalton Castle & Ryusuke Taguchi

•Delirious vs. Gedo in the battle of the bookers

•Kushida vs. Frankie Kazarian (non-title)

•Michael Elgin & Moose & Hiroshi Tanahashi & Tomoaki Honma vs. Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga & Yujiro Takahashi & Cody Hall

•Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Young Bucks & Kenny Omega

•Mark & Jay Briscoe vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows

•Tetsuya Naito & Jay Lethal vs. Kazuchika Okada & Yoshi-Hashi

•ROH Champion Roderick Strong vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Saturday 9.30am UK Time:

•Jay White vs. David Finlay

•Matt Sydal & Jushin Liger vs. Delirious & Gedo

•Frankie Kazarian vs. Dalton Castle

•Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly & Hirooki Goto & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Karl

•Anderson & Doc Gallows & Bad Luck Fale & Tama Tonga

•Kushida & Moose vs. Tetsuya Naito & Bushi

•Hiroshi Tanahashi & Michael Elgin & Roderick Strong vs. Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii & Yoshi-Hashi

•Mark & Jay Briscoe & Toru Yano vs. Young Bucks & Kenny Omega for Never six man titles

•ROH Champion Jay Lethal vs. Tomoaki Honma

• Paid Members

Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly & Katsuyori Shibata vs. Young Bucks & Kenny Omega

Fucking hell, I actually want to see that. Shibata kicking the Bucks around? Take my money.