NJPW World

Sphinx

Cards for the forthcoming New Beginning shows. Apart from Omega-Tana, I've personally very little interest. Shibata vs. Ishii - that's already happened too many times for me, though I'm doubtless flying solo on that:

NJPW "THE NEW BEGINNING IN OSAKA", 11.2.16
Edion Arena Osaka

1. Jay White vs. David Finlay
2. Kazushi Sakuraba, YOSHI-HASHI & Gedo vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Ryusuke Taguchi
3. Satoshi Kojima & Hiroyoshi Tenzan vs. Yuji Nagata & Manabu Nakanishi
4. Tetsuya Naito, "King of Darkness" EVIL & BUSHI vs. Michael Elgin, Juice Robinson & KUSHIDA
5. NEVER Openweight Six Man Tag Team Title: Toru Yano, Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe © vs. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Tama Tonga
6. NEVER Openweight Title: Katsuyori Shibata © vs. Tomohiro Ishii
7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Team Title, 3 Way Match: Nick Jackson & Matt Jackson © vs. Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly vs. Matt Sydal & Ricochet
8. Special Six Man Tag Match: Kenny Omega, Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi, Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma
9. IWGP Heavyweight Title: Kazuchika Okada © vs. Hirooki Goto

NJPW "THE NEW BEGINNING IN NIIGATA", 14.2.16
Aora Nagaoka

1. Matt Jackson, Nick Jackson & Cody Hall vs. Jushin Thunder Liger, Tiger Mask & Captain New Japan
2. Kyle O'Reilly & Bobby Fish vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Gedo
3. Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, Ryusuke Taguchi & David Finlay vs. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Ricochet & Matt Sydal
4. Tetsuya Naito & "King of Darkness" EVIL vs. Michael Elgin & Jay White
5. Toru Yano, Jay Briscoe & Mark Briscoe vs. Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi & Tama Tonga
6. Kazuchika Okada, Tomohiro Ishii & YOSHI-HASHI vs. Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shiabta & Juice Robinson
7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: KUSHIDA © vs. BUSHI
8. IWGP Tag Team Title: Togi Makabe & Tomoaki Honma vs. Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows
9. IWGP Intercontinental Title, Decision Match: Kenny Omega vs. Hiroshi Tanahashi

Edited by KingofSports

I'm not the biggest NJPW fan but I would like to watch more so am I assuming that a show called 'New Beggining' would be a good jumping on point for a relative newbie?

Yes and no. It basically is the official beginning to their year, to my knowledge (like how the night after mania is effecively the beginning of WWE's "year"), but if you stick with the big PPV events, you may as well go back and watch Wrestle Kingdom as well, as it was very good, will give you an idea of what's going on moving forward.

Don't know if anyone watched the 24/1 FANTASTICAMANIA show. There was a great little match involving Kamaitachi, who I later had to Google, having not recognized him. Turns out it's Hiromu Takahashi. He was a 'Young Lion' until 2013 and currently works for CMLL. No plans for his return at the moment, but if that performance was anything to go by, he's come on leaps and bounds from being a generic rookie-type.

• Paid Members

Those New Beginning cards look rather dire when you split them into two days. I don't get the idea behind that. It just creates more filler matches.

Two gates in towns where you can draw based on 3-4 proper matches and a few tags and six-mans where that town will come out anyway for their semi-regular visit from the lads, two PPVs to sell. Destruction is the same deal. It also gives them a chance at least twice a year to let the Intercontinental title be the main event and give it credibility. The model worked fine with Nakamura as the drawing card in that division, the installation of Tanahashi as "X" in the decision match should indicate how serious they are about that show still making dollar. I wouldn't worry about filler, seemingly meaningless tags and six-mans are a staple of undercards except on your Dominion and Wrestle Kingdom level shows ; that's just Puro. If last year's booking is any indication, some undercard matches on night 1 will add more build to guys meeting again on night 2, on night 2 they'll set some stuff up for the next tour.

Omega winning the title, ejecting Anderson & Gallows after their final job to GBH and adding some new faces to his new look Bullet Club are my hardly-bold predictions. Oh, and Sydal & Ricochet will win the Jr tag belts. There's never been a better time for them finally to roll the dice on giving Goto his run but... well, we've been there before haven't we? It's not happening.

I would very much worry about filler. There's far too much of it & I'd include Jr. Tag belts & 6-man Tag belts in that, as they're tedious, meaningless dross. The Company is becoming stale & the loss of AJ and Nakamura, leaving Goto as current IWGP Title challenger, both sums up and pretty much kills it for me at present. They got problems.

Shibata/Ishii and Goto/Okada were both good. They may have been really good but I kept daydreaming and drifting off during them. They should really try and get somebody new. I'd even take KENTA if that could happen....I think I would anyway...

They should just fold NOAH. Then again we'd have to watch Marafuji matches and that's better off left alone!

Having just read a badly translated article, it appears that New Japan are in the process of restructuring talent contracts. Reading between the lines, it sounds like they were rattled by the loss of; AJ, Nakamura, Anderson & Gallows & don't want to become a feeder / regional Promotion. Sounds like they also want to make Okada a mainstream personality.