Notable drops down from the card a year on...

TheShowOff

• Paid Members

Lex Luger in the WWF us a shout, too. It all went wrong post-Mania 10.

Yeah, good shout. Went from co-main eventing Wrestlemania 10 to being in a pointless tag match with Bulldog against the Blu Brothers in Wrestlemania 11

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, good shout. Went from co-main eventing Wrestlemania 10 to being in a pointless tag match with Bulldog against the Blu Brothers in Wrestlemania 11

The Allied Powers really were an absolute waste of time, They formed, had said filler match at Mania, weren't on the first IYH or KOTR, weren't booked for Summerslam either, lost clean as a whistle to Yoko and Owen when they did get a title shot, and done nothing else of note. They should just have turned the both of them earlier in the year - in Lugers case, bringing back the Narcissist.

Big Show might be a decent shout for this. Went from debuting and a few weeks later chokeslamming Taker through the ring and then onto a feud with Rock and main eventing Mania to dressing up as Rikishi and Val Venis before being sent packing to OVW.

Edit: Double post

• Paid Members

The Allied Powers really were an absolute waste of time, They formed, had said filler match at Mania, weren't on the first IYH or KOTR, weren't booked for Summerslam either, lost clean as a whistle to Yoko and Owen when they did get a title shot, and done nothing else of note. They should just have turned the both of them earlier in the year - in Lugers case, bringing back the Narcissist.

Think that was ultimately the end-game for the tag-team in that they were formed so they could have a feud down the line. Team was booked rather oddly.

I think Vladimir Kozlov is a pretty decent shout for this. He went nearly a year undefeated and beat the likes of Undertaker and Jeff Hardy clean. At Survivor Series in 2008 he was in the main event facing Triple H and Edge for the WWE Title. A few months later he was Regal's henchman on ECW and wasn't even booked at Survivor Series in 2009. Moving on from there he teamed with Santino for a bit in a comedy role then he was quietly released in 2011.

I'd be somewhat surprised if Rusev's career doesn't follow a pretty identical path.

The gimmick may indeed lead him down the same path, but it would be a shame. Rusev is far more fun to watch than koslov ever was. Actually, ignoring a few silly poses and mannerisms, Rusev is really pretty great to watch when he's smashing people. He's way more athletic and impressive than boring koslov was.

Demolition?  Huuuge pop at WM 6 winning the titles.... jobbed-out to unknown (to most WWF fans at the time) debuting Japanese team at WM 7 who we're never seen again

To be honest I think by this time it was all over for the Demos anyway. Ax had left through injury and fans weren't buying into Crush as a new member, after 4 years on the scene they were basically being phased out as a way of introducing new characters.Within a year or so most of the old tag teams were broken up (POP, Harts, Rockers) or gotten rid of (The Rougeaus) about the only one who stayed who had been around since the late 80's were The Bushwhackers.

Booker T - World champ, facing Triple H at Mania 19 and officially headlining (even if in reality that match took a backseat to numerous others) to a fatal 4 way tag match at 20, to the dark match at Mania 21. Which is two years, but still a hell of a drop!

• Paid Members

I was shocked at the time how Tatanka completely dropped off the map within a year of SummerSlam '94. He had become in danger of getting lost in the shuffle in the babyface midcard, so I thought the heel turn was a good idea to revitalize him, and the angle seemed to provoke an incredibly hostile reaction when he turned on Flex. However, their feud dragged terribly, Tatanka disappeared from PPV as we got into 1995 and he was released in the summer (though temporarily brought back in early '96). Admittedly he got a bit chubby and was really boring as a heel and being weighed down with the then-mechanical Luger didn't help, but it surprised me how quickly then gave up on him.

I suppose that was the way DiBiase's group worked (or didn't work), nobody got to be the star acquisition for very long, so Tatanka got overshadowed by Bundy coming in, Kama and then Sid.

Archived