Empire's 301 Greatest Movies Of All Time

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I like the 'let's stick the odd foreign film in there' approach to it though, when you know they really wanted to put The Perks Of Being A Wallflower and Legally Blonde in there.

Jaffa was most upset they left this one out. The Dark Knight is the third greatest film of all time. Third! I automatically dislike superhero movies and although that was one of the few superhero movies I enjoyed, it shouldn't be anyway close to the top in my view. Nolan is the greatest living illusionist I reckon.

• Moderators
What a fucking woeful list that is. How was it put together, by vote or by Empire themselves?

Readers poll, with hundreds of thousands of votes. It's pretty much just a modern film-fan's list, as much as everyone loves to shit on Empire. Most people/idiots consider themselves film buffs, but really, they like to go 'SQUEEE!' at a gif of Cumberbatch, or a fucking Transformers trailer just because it's got a robot dinosaur in it. I doubt the cross section of voters would have been wildly different elsewhere.

People just can't be trusted not to be stupid in large numbers. The Karate Kid's not even on there. Still though "populist stuff does well in poll with a huge number of votes" shocker? Are we really expecting the same people who share the Ninja Turtles trailer on their Facebook to have seen Fitzcarraldo?

• Paid Members

Prometheus was so awful. It just fucking stunk. I think Ridley Scott should just be stopped now. For a director who made Alien and Blade Runner, it is staggering how shit some of his other films have been.

Really can't wait for this to come through my door, what a horrid list. It's basically cinema of the last 20 years is the best thing ever, EVER and erm there were some other films made at points in time, better shove them in there, to make it fair. Makes the PWI list's look amazing

255. Transformers? Bay Version or the cartoon movie? :/

Archived