Improvised Finishes on the Fly

Direct Impact

There has to have been at least one indie ladder match somewhere where they broke one too many ladders and had to work out another way to get the belt down.

Also, wasn't there a dome cage match of some kind in TNA where Homicide couldn't climb out of it as planned. How did they get around that?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In the year 2000, The Radicals battled D-X to try and earn contracts and in the second match of the series, Guerrero injured his elbow which lead to Guerrero and Saturn losing the match which they were meant to win, meaning D-X ended up winning the series 3-0.

AT NYR...Eugene fluked a roll-up on Tomko to end their match while iirc, Trish kicked Lita in the head and pinned her.

Is the Saturn and Guerrero one definitely true? Because i thought Guerrero was injured hitting the frog splash, so surely he would of just got the 3 with it as he was on top of his opponent anyway?

• Paid Members

I know it's not what the topic is about but it is a finish that was improvised, I remember a time where Test was having a match with Rikishi and he went for a pump handle powerslam (one of the 200 different finishers he's used at one time or another) and he started to fall backwards when he had Rikishi up on his shoulder. Instead of losing balance and dropping back first he saved face by spinning round and driving Rikishi on the canvas, it looked great and was a perfect save that if he hadn't reacted in a split second wouldn't have worked.

Really interesting to read about the Batista/Cena fuck up, I remember the finish but it never occurred to me it was anything than an overbooked finish.

• Paid Members
Also, wasn't there a dome cage match of some kind in TNA where Homicide couldn't climb out of it as planned. How did they get around that?

A moment immortalised by the funniest Botchamania ending ever. Provided you're familiar with Full Metal Jacket, anyway...

:laugh:

A moment immortalised by the funniest Botchamania ending ever. Provided you're familiar with Full Metal Jacket, anyway...

How did they finish that after he fell? Struggling ot remember.

The finish to the hardcore battle royal at wm 2000. Was a massive cluster fuck. I assume crash was supposed to win but hardcore covered him to early and the time hadn't ran out. Ref only counted two, with a second to go, fink didn't have a clue what to announce, JR was saying Crash kicked out when he clearly didn't and crash started celebrating. Not much improvisation in this one, but it fits with the theme of the thread.

How did they finish that after he fell? Struggling ot remember.

The finish to the hardcore battle royal at wm 2000. Was a massive cluster fuck. I assume crash was supposed to win but hardcore covered him to early and the time hadn't ran out. Ref only counted two, with a second to go, fink didn't have a clue what to announce, JR was saying Crash kicked out when he clearly didn't and crash started celebrating. Not much improvisation in this one, but it fits with the theme of the thread.

IIRC, it finished with a no contest after Homicide leathered everyone with a club...a no contest in a cage...let that sink in. The fall from the top was after the decision I think too haha.

• Paid Members
Is the Saturn and Guerrero one definitely true? Because i thought Guerrero was injured hitting the frog splash, so surely he would of just got the 3 with it as he was on top of his opponent anyway?

Yes. Eddie rolled off because he was clearly in fucking agony. They were supposed to go over, and Benoit beat Hunter at the end to win 2-1 and have contracts, hot new stars, just like that. In the end, losing that tag match put the Radicals 2-0 down so they scrambled to come up with them losing 3-0 then getting their deals via Hunter and turning heel. There would have been no sense the WWF Champion dropping a match to Benoit for no reason, with the best-of-three already won, and they had to turn them heel, because they'd come in Billy Big Bollocks and gotten beaten by DX, so in the short term they were losers, and nobody cheers for losers. Thankfully with Tool Cool around there were some over-yet-expendable babyface talents for Benoit, Saturn and Deano Machino to get some heat back before their first PPV run-out.

I remember poor homicide getting stuck in the cage, then also having to take a chair shot to the head off a returning Jeff Hardy..

Was that the 4th January, Hogan show?

Yes. Homicide struggling to get out the top of a giant metal bellend, then Jeff Hardy showing up to make you instantly forget about anything the talent had done in the preceding match. WCW TNA, LOLZ.

Sting flattening a clearly off his face Jeff Hardy for the TNA Title as soon as the match started is one I will always remember.

Trish Strauts and Mickie James had terrible luck with their PPV matches, they botched the finish at Wrestlemania (forget the year) resulting in Mickie winning with a piss poor Chick Kick and then Trish injured her shoulder in their rematch (Backlash?) but I don't remember if they improvised a new finish or if they just straight up stopped the match.

Sting flattening a clearly off his face Jeff Hardy for the TNA Title as soon as the match started is one I will always remember.

Damn. How did I forget about that one?

Poor Eric Bichoff trying to prolong the pay per view main event and give Stinger some direction while simultaneously trying to physically act like a heel is pure cringe gold...

• Paid Members

Yes. Eddie rolled off because he was clearly in fucking agony. They were supposed to go over, and Benoit beat Hunter at the end to win 2-1 and have contracts, hot new stars, just like that. In the end, losing that tag match put the Radicals 2-0 down so they scrambled to come up with them losing 3-0 then getting their deals via Hunter and turning heel. There would have been no sense the WWF Champion dropping a match to Benoit for no reason, with the best-of-three already won, and they had to turn them heel, because they'd come in Billy Big Bollocks and gotten beaten by DX, so in the short term they were losers, and nobody cheers for losers. Thankfully with Tool Cool around there were some over-yet-expendable babyface talents for Benoit, Saturn and Deano Machino to get some heat back before their first PPV run-out.

Genuinely never knew that. Always thought that having the new guys debut to big fanfair and get crushed by DX was madness.

What about Dean Malenko's fuck up at Souled Out 2000. Match ends when someone touches the floor. Lock up and Malenko rolls out and touches the floor. Ref has no option but to call for three.

Not a finish but the covering of Randy Savage's almighty fuck up in the 1992 Royal Rumble is brilliantly awful.

There was a Mr Anderson vs Bully Ray match at BFG a couple of years back.

It was falls count anywhere I think, and the finish was supposed to be a swanton through a table outside the ring. Ken overshot so only the back of his head hit Bully, and the table didn't break, so he quickly got up and Mic Checked him through it.

Which was fine, and they may have even got away with it except...

Fucking Tazz on commentary says "he just called an audible, sometimes you have to call an audible!"

What about Undertaker v Mankind at King of the Ring 1998? Considering Foley was knocked loopy and had no idea what he used the thumbtacks, I'd say everything past the second big fall was one big improvisation.

Archived