Improvised Finishes on the Fly

Direct Impact

I've just watched a clip of when Sid Vicious broke his ankle in WCW. Road Warrior Animal was returning under a mask to help Steiner win, but Sid snapped his ankle so basically Animal got in the ring kicked Sid and Steiner pinned. It was the only option as Sid couldn't stand.

It got me thinking of other times when this as happened, basically a match finish had to be changed in the ring due to injury or whatever.

I remember Rated RKO vs DX, Triple H injured his quad, and HBK quickly improvised going ape shit with a chair on Orton & Edge, I think resulting in a DQ.

Can you think of any improvised finishes ion the fly?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

The big ones have got to be Steve Austin vs Owen Hart at SummerSlam '97 and Brock Lesnar vs Kurt Angle at WrestleMania 19. They're the two I immediately thought of anyway. I'd assume Austin was supposed to win with the Stunner. And I can't imagine Brock was supposed to fucking swandive onto the top of his head.

That Orton/Triple H finish still haunts me.

The scream Orton let out, the bend in his collarbone and the face he pulled. Jesus. That's up there with Sid's ankle and Eddie's elbow for me.

The worst part is, it was sort of Ortons fault. It was a stupid spot in the first place, but he sort of bottled it and tried to grab the rope as he went over and twisted his body perfectly to land on his collarbone.

As this thead proves, most improvised finishes are shit. The RKO/DX one was a mess before HBK sorted it out, the Nash one was a mess (Hebner running into HBK in the ring), the Rumble finish, etc. The exception to the rule is the Sasuke/Liger Super J Cup end. Sasuke botches the big Springboard finish, Liger recovers the situation like the genius that he is, acts cocky, then gets flash planned by Sasuke.

• Paid Members

Ah the Cena/Batista Rumble one is definitely up there, forgot that one.

I'm assuming the Austin vs Benoit vs Jericho triple threat from King Of The Ring 2001 wasn't supposed to end the way it did? Benoit gave Jericho a back suplex off the top rope, then just lay there until Austin crawled over and draped an arm over for the pin. I remember thinking how odd it was at the time, Benoit getting pinned after he did a move. Was it always the plan to do it that way because Benoit needed time off for neck surgery? Or was it genuinely called on the fly because Benoit took a bad bump?

• Moderators
The one that sticks out for me was Cena and Batista botching the end of the 2005 Royal Rumble. Vince then marched down to the ring demanding that they restart the match, but not without Vince blowing out both his quads. You can't make this stuff up.

Oh man, one of my favourite things that's ever happened on live TV. Vince "sneezing makes me angry" McMahon can't sell that he's fucked his leg, so he conducts his very important business while SAT ON THE FLOOR LIKE A BABY, to the viewers at home, for no reason at all. Then as he tries to no-sell on the way out, puts so much awkward weight on the other leg that he tears that too, and has to be clumsily carried to the back, fuming.

Shaking with laughter just typing it up.

Archived