Improvised Finishes on the Fly

Direct Impact

The one that sticks out for me was Cena and Batista botching the end of the 2005 Royal Rumble. Vince then marched down to the ring demanding that they restart the match, but not without Vince blowing out both his quads. You can't make this stuff up.

Oh man, one of my favourite things that's ever happened on live TV. Vince "sneezing makes me angry" McMahon can't sell that he's fucked his leg, so he conducts his very important business while SAT ON THE FLOOR LIKE A BABY, to the viewers at home, for no reason at all. Then as he tries to no-sell on the way out, puts so much awkward weight on the other leg that he tears that too, and has to be clumsily carried to the back, fuming.

Shaking with laughter just typing it up.

:laugh: Yeah, such a surreal and unforgettable moment. I woulda loved to have been a fly on the wall in the gorilla position after that.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There was a pay-per-view in early 2005 where both Lita and Eugene suffered serious injuries in consecutive matches. New Year's Revolution I think.

Remember both matches looking like they featured improvised finishes, but I can't recall exactly how they went down.

Anyone out there with a more reliable memory?

• Paid Members
The one that sticks out for me was Cena and Batista botching the end of the 2005 Royal Rumble. Vince then marched down to the ring demanding that they restart the match, but not without Vince blowing out both his quads. You can't make this stuff up.

Oh man, one of my favourite things that's ever happened on live TV. Vince "sneezing makes me angry" McMahon can't sell that he's fucked his leg, so he conducts his very important business while SAT ON THE FLOOR LIKE A BABY, to the viewers at home, for no reason at all. Then as he tries to no-sell on the way out, puts so much awkward weight on the other leg that he tears that too, and has to be clumsily carried to the back, fuming.

:laugh: Yeah, such a surreal and unforgettable moment. I woulda loved to have been a fly on the wall in the gorilla position after that.

I never understood how that finish was supposed to be a botch, apart from Vince blowing out his quads. What's the deal?

I never understood how that finish was supposed to be a botch, apart from Vince blowing out his quads. What's the deal?

The double elimination wasn't planned, Batista just lost his balance when powerbombing Cena. It's more obvious when you watch it back and realise they would never attempt such an uncontrollable spot as the finish. It's sheer luck that they both hit at the same time.

• Paid Members

And how promptly the PPV ends after Batista wins. Because they were about to run out of time. Because they had to waste all that time sorting the mess out. The shenanigans of different refs raising each man's hand, then each chucking the other out... no wonder Vince looked so pissed off stampeding to the ring and did himself damage. Everyone was dicking around in a blind panic.

• Paid Members

Has this ever been confirmed by anyone? Could all the stalling not have been because of Vince's fuck up? The drop of the two and the way Cena seemingly pulls him over seems far too coincidental. Two sets of Ref's proclaiming each man the winner aswell? Not saying you're not right I've just never seen it that way.

I can't imagine it was planned. It was such a shit ending there's no way they would have planned that. It completely killed any momentum Batista had in that match and him chucking Cena over the rope after a spinebuster looked a pretty poor and weak end.

I think the refs did well under the circumstances though.

Also, the lack of entrance music when Vince came out is maybe a clue that he wasn't meant to come out. And I saw somewhere that part of the reason for Vince's injury was because he was backstage all night not expecting to have to make an appearance and therefore had not limbered up at all.

• Paid Members
. And I saw somewhere that part of the reason for Vince's injury was because he was backstage all night not expecting to have to make an appearance and therefore had not limbered up at all.

Limbered up? All he had to do was a short run. I think it's more likely his legs exploded because he was freakishly muscley for a 50+ year old man.

• Moderators

If I remember it right, he dove into the ring really aggressively, and smashed his thigh on the apron on the way in, which is what did it.

I've been giggling about it all day, the thought of him sat on the ground, giving his really angry speech, both in and out of character, while looking up at everyone like a child someone had put down on the play mat.

In the year 2000, The Radicals battled D-X to try and earn contracts and in the second match of the series, Guerrero injured his elbow which lead to Guerrero and Saturn losing the match which they were meant to win, meaning D-X ended up winning the series 3-0.

AT NYR...Eugene fluked a roll-up on Tomko to end their match while iirc, Trish kicked Lita in the head and pinned her.

Has this ever been confirmed by anyone? Could all the stalling not have been because of Vince's fuck up? The drop of the two and the way Cena seemingly pulls him over seems far too coincidental. Two sets of Ref's proclaiming each man the winner aswell? Not saying you're not right I've just never seen it that way.

Jimmy Korderas talked about it in his book. As already stated on here, the original plan was for Batista to eliminate Cena clean by holding on to the ropes when he went over. He says Raw referee Jack Doan near enough immediately signalled that Batista was the winner but Charles Robinson wasn't convinced and wasn't sure about going along with the decision. While they were discussing it, they were told over their earpieces that a SD! ref should raise Cena's hand & a Raw ref should raise Batista's.

They were then looking for Teddy Long and Eric Bischoff in the back to go out to the ring and sort things out, which would also highlight the brand split but as they couldn't be found on time, that's when Vince went out.

Archived