Foley is Crud

IANdrewDiceClay

I have recently been looking back at Foley's career and what he has achieved and the one thing that really strikes me is (IMO) how the guy had little talent but was able to become the WWF champion! He was (arguably) a glorified stuntman who was good on promos and 'character'. It is only now that we see how his limitations have impacted his quality of life. Nowadays he would be seen as an idiot who injures himself intentionally, look at the likes of Nigel McGuiness who would hit people genuinely and injure himself for the 'business'. 

By the time he became wwe champion he had little left in the tank to give in his body, but he had a great body of work before that with Austin , taker and triple h just in wwe that make your glorified stuntman comment look rediculous.

• Paid Members

I have recently been looking back at Foley's career and what he has achieved and the one thing that really strikes me is (IMO) how the guy had little talent but was able to become the WWF champion! He was (arguably) a glorified stuntman who was good on promos and 'character'. It is only now that we see how his limitations have impacted his quality of life. Nowadays he would be seen as an idiot who injures himself intentionally, look at the likes of Nigel McGuiness who would hit people genuinely and injure himself for the 'business'. 

This whole post is so wrong. Did you watch Foley at the time? He was everyone's first or second favourite wrestler, because his character was awesome. His promos were amazing for a good decade. If someone came along today with the ability to get people over as stars like he did and with the ability to cut a promo like he did, he'd be the most over person on the roster. It was 50 times harder to get over back in the 90s. To say he had "little talent" is shocking.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

In 1998 and 1999 where the wrestling was often questionable at best Mick Foley pretty much had great matches every week and on top of that the best promos and character work. His Autumn 98 TV feud with Ken Shamrock was superb. Loads of forgotten gems in there.

Some really harsh stuff in this thread IMO. Foley was super over in the Attitude era and was one of WWE's top stars. He was given the Heavyweight Title because he'd worked his way up through the industry for years and deserved it. Yes, he damaged his body along the way but natural genetics weren't in his favour. He wasn't a natural athlete and he looked a strange fit at times but like I say, fans thought he was awesome at the time, he knew how to get over and can say he lived the dream. I for one respect that. He Main evented Wrestlemania too so Vince must've seen something in him. Not to mention spawning the copycat craze of writing an autobiography. Can hardly remember any wrestler biographies before Foley's. Now there are loads and they still get written to this day.

My fav Foley match is v Orton at Backlash 04. It's brilliant anyway, but goes into 'fav match' territory cos of 1) Orton's pissweak attempt at a barbed wire 2x4 which is just flimsy as shit and falls apart compared to Foley's full on barbed wire bat 2) Bischoff threatening to shut the show down if Foley lights up that bat he soaked with gasoline. Just the best. Awesome rivalry too, Evolution were a fantastic stable. Orton's promos were fucking good here.

Edited by sj5522

Damn all this positivity! Can't we just go back to laughing at the cripple with a (probably) slutty daughter who can't put his socks on properly!

I really want to go back and watch that Orgon match though, some of his best stuff that was.

• Paid Members

I didn't say he didn't deserve it or that he didn't have a great character n promo work. But if you go out there and intentionally injure yourself which he knew he would w those bumps then you can't call him a great worker by any stretch.

Daniel Bryan knew the silly bumps would likely prematurely end his career. He can't be classed as a good worker either then by you criteria? 

• Moderators

Some really harsh stuff in this thread IMO. Foley was super over in the Attitude era and was one of WWE's top stars. He was given the Heavyweight Title because he'd worked his way up through the industry for years and deserved it. Yes, he damaged his body along the way but natural genetics weren't in his favour. He wasn't a natural athlete and he looked a strange fit at times but like I say, fans thought he was awesome at the time, he knew how to get over and can say he lived the dream. I for one respect that. He Main evented Wrestlemania too so Vince must've seen something in him. Not to mention spawning the copycat craze of writing an autobiography. Can hardly remember any wrestler biographies before Foley's. Now there are loads and they still get written to this day.

Apart from Michael's post on this page (which everyone has conclusively trashed), I don't think there's anything people have said in this thread that argues with any of the professional accomplishments you've listed.

Doesn't stop him also being Friendzone Foley, noted tightwad.

• Paid Members

Looking at it, is Hulk Hogan any better than Foley because he put more weight on his frame and suffered for it in his 50s with a dozen back surgeries? Same with Warrior and Savage? Would they be dead had it not been for the lifestyle they picked to continue to chase the idea of trying to still look like they did in their prime? Foley's suffering, sure, but is he suffering more than any other top stars? I dont even know how the Undertaker can walk around anymore, let alone wrestle. He was taking long breaks 3 years into his WWF run because he was so broken down. Even someone like Bret Hart. He took a kick to the head which knocked him so silly he almost died two days later when he took a blackout while driving in an angle on Thunder. Yet he still wrestled for a good month afterwards,and that must have contributed to how bad his head ended up being. All these wrestlers did things to their health that they knew would put them in a bad position in their latter years. Foley took huge bumps, but there a countless wrestlers who did so many drugs that they ended up in a worse physical state. I mean, I'd rather be Mick Foley than Scott Hall.

I dare say Foley would live far more comfortably if he was obese. He's so massive at the minute..

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay