Adam Rose - Next Big Thing *NXT spoilers*

IANdrewDiceClay

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hated Leo Kruger, I read not too long ago he was close to being called up.

It was in the Observer a few months back that he made the decision himself to ditch the Kruger gimmick and reinvent himself as Adam Rose with a new gimmick to get noticed, precisely because he kept getting overlooked for a main roster call up.

He panicked a little bit, because he's 35 next month and that's a bit old to still be in developmental, especially when you've been there 4 years and in that time you've seen Big E., Cesaro, Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and even Xavier Woods all pass you by and make the main roster before you.

I hated Leo Kruger, I read not too long ago he was close to being called up.

It was in the Observer a few months back that he made the decision himself to ditch the Kruger gimmick and reinvent himself as Adam Rose with a new gimmick to get noticed, precisely because he kept getting overlooked for a main roster call up.

He panicked a little bit, because he's 35 next month and that's a bit old to still be in developmental, especially when you've been there 4 years and in that time you've seen Big E., Cesaro, Bray Wyatt, Roman Reigns, Seth Rollins and even Xavier Woods all pass you by and make the main roster before you.

If that is true then fair play to him. That's the advice Austin dishes out regularly to the roster on his podcast and its nice to see somebody not 'walking on eggshells' as is often reported.

• Paid Members

I loved Leo Kruger, and expressed my disappointment here at a proposed repackage.

Words well & truly eaten. That's fabulous.

If they stick with that theme through to his main roster debut, the "WHOOO!" is going to get over huge. Imagine 25k people doing that in sync. Awesome.

I always liked Kruger's gimmick, even the watered down pre-hunter one in FCW and didn't like the sound of the Adam Rose one. It sounded like a weak version of Tyler Breeze (Fake celebrity, crazy fashion etc) but having just watched this weeks NXT on the network it wasn't so bad. I still prefer Kruger but his voice and mannerisms make it believable it isn't the same guy. Just shows how good he is to pull off 2 massively different gimmicks. It'll be interesting to see where this goes.

• Paid Members

Looking at Rose's Twitter there, there's a picture from the tail end of January of Les Kellett, along the lines of "if you're a wrestling fan you should know who this guy is". Given there's a strong comedy element to the new character, I wonder if we'll start to see some strong Kellett influences?

And that opening rolling spot out of the wristlock is straight out of Steve Grey's book. Robbie Brookside starts training at the Performance Center, and these classic World of Sport spots start showing up. Coincidence? :)

This gimmick has so many legs. It's current, perfect for the age and ability of the performer, catchy, simple, but with lots of possible additions and angles. Sure, the in-ring needs tweaking (the shonky MMA elbows were off, and would've been better if Blake had given him a bit of a beat down before going into the finish) but it's solid and his Kruger work shows he can do more. I like the lariat finish, for the time being. It's Skippy and flaily so it suits his character, even if the impact is a bit lacking. I'm sure he'll get fitted out with something from WWE's Wonderful World of Neck breakers soon enough. His music is boss, just the kind of disposable guitar pop he'd turn out (Gary Glitter-style stuff would turn it from cheesy fun to embarrassing camp). Top marks if the guy really came up with it, and top marks too to the Full Sail crew for once again putting together another unique and memorable entrance gimmick without pyro or SFX.

• Paid Members
I like the lariat finish, for the time being. It's Skippy and flaily so it suits his character, even if the impact is a bit lacking. I'm sure he'll get fitted out with something from WWE's Wonderful World of Neck breakers soon enough.

As Leo Kruger he used the twisty neckbreaker thingy that Curtis Axel now uses. He called it the 'Kruger End'. He then moved onto a pretty nice submission finisher (Nigel McGuinness' London Dungeon) before adopting the lariat, which he called 'The Slice'. He used a more overhand bowling action and it looked pretty sweet most times he hit it. William Regal on commentary was putting it over pretty big by claiming that Kruger grew up playing cricket in South Africa and could bowl a ball at 100mph. Not that it really fit his weirdo hunter gimmick at the time, but there you go.

Just watched NXT. God, that was fun. The pre-match interview in the VIP section, the music, the posse, the mannerisms... I loved Aldous Snow so seeing a wrestling version of him is amazing. It's only his first match out with this gimmick so I don't want to judge too harshly, but I wasn't too impressed once the bell rang. The rolls and the see saw stuff on the ropes were great, but the spear and MMA style ground and pound were an odd shift in tone. I didn't mind the lariat, he delivered it with enough force to be believable and I like the idea off "Woo! Party! ...Now I'm going to take your fucking head off."

Corey Graves did the same elbows much better later in the show. If the big spear must be part of it, I'd like it to be a kind of snapping thing, like the jobber gets a shot on him then he retaliates. Just busting it out really threw me off. There's always room to make adjustments, and of all the fun, dancing gimmicks, I think I like this one the best. Repackage Truth and Woods as the new Cryme Tyme or something.

It's brilliant, Sandman made a career out of a good entrance so no reason why something as fun as that entrance shouldn't catch on and get him over, it's not like it's some massive production either, just get whoevers knocking about at Raw each week to dress up like a daft twat and walk out with him

Can't believe he's a heel with that entrance though, just hope if he gets called up and turns face they keep him as he is rather than changing him up, hate it when the crowd turns someone face and the creative team change up all the things that made people like them for generic babyface traits

That is all a bit premature though as it could fizzle out soon but judging by that one clip, I really hope he gets called up soon and gets massively over

Archived