The Undertaker's "Higher Power"

Winston

Were you all stunned when it turned out to be Vince?

I was roughly 10 or 11 years old so obviously not smart in any way, was completely mesmerised by the whole storyline though.

I remember reading the old Teletext rumours pages and I think my favourite to be revealed as the Higher Power was Don 'Cyrus the Virus' Callis!

So who did you's all think it was going to be?

• Paid Members

I remember my mate telling me it was Sting, but I wasn't having it. Sting isn't that sort of bloke.

I did suspect it was somebody from WCW making the jump. Although this was pre-internet days for me, so I decided it was either that no good Hollywood Hogan or Bret Hart.

The Vince reveal was a big shock. I remember watching it round my mates house while tucking into some Beanz with pork sausages.

Were they always planning on using Vince, or did something fall through/did they shit out of something?

For some reason, I look back at that and think Vince was a back up plan, which is probably not the case, seeing as it led to Austin getting 50% of the company etc.

Wasn't it one of those storylines, like the Anonymous GM, where they went into the story without a clue on how to end it, and when they couldn't think of anyone else, they went with Vince?

Reminds me of the Black Magician in WCW, which eventually morphed into Ric Flair in a mask.

• Paid Members

The two rumours that I liked at the time were that it was either the Million Dollar Man or Jake Roberts. While it may have seemed a stretch, the successful reintroduction of the Big Boss Man meant that there was the possibility of mileage in some classic names. I'd heard the rumours of Don Callis as well, and I did like him at the time.

Mind you, I really wanted it to be Raven, even though I knew that wasn't possible.

Wasn't it one of those storylines, like the Anonymous GM, where they went into the story without a clue on how to end it, and when they couldn't think of anyone else, they went with Vince?

Reminds me of the Black Magician in WCW, which eventually morphed into Ric Flair in a mask.

I think that was the Black Scorpion.

For the Undertaker's higher power I was absolutely convinced it was Sid because that's who it said it was on the Teletext wrestling pages.

I had only just began watching at the time and for me this is what got me into wrestling, the whole Higher Power, Ministry, Corporation, Corporate Ministry and so on. I didn't actually really think about who it could be, I thought it would be someone new, but when I was watching and the hood pulled off to reveal Vince I was absolutely shocked.

• Paid Members

I remember the big one being sting.

Vince caught me out and i loved him for it. I must have been around 22

Flair only wrestled once as the Black Scorpion, laughable really at the time there where around 15 of them, all different sizes and shapes. Soon as Sting press slammed him everyone knew it was flair.

On the other hand the Barry windham fake sting was awesome, i was sure Sid was the new champ

Forgive me if my memory is playing tricks, but was this revealed, around June 99, a week or two after Owen had died?

I remember being on a Uk wrestling forum at the time and some guy posting that the higher power was going to be revealed to be Owen and his whole death was a work!

Of course the guy copped a lot of grief..

• Paid Members

Me and my mate were convinced it was going to be Sid, for some reason. Looking back it doesn't really make sense, but then nor did how it played out. Thinking about it anytime there was a mystery partner or something like that we put all our chips on Sid. We fucking loved Sid.

• Paid Members
I phoned one of the hotlines to find out who it was, and it never said! It was the episode where he revealed himself to Austin, but not the one where he revealed it to the camera.

Oh my God, I got done by the same hotline! Is that the one where some bloke waiting until right at the end only to say "the higher power then revealed himself but we will find out on Monday". Like the headline on the telly text said "HIGHER POWER REVEALED" and then when you phoned the bloke informed you "aye, it was revealed but we couldn't see him". Never trust Sky Text.

Archived