Vinnie to buy the Toon

Sheffbag

utter nonsense. They're over here every 6 months, it be any more tapped a market

How about running a full time development promotion over here? The market would support that wouldn't it? Especially if they sent regulars and legends over for stints to help sell tickets.

Doubtful. It'd water down the WWE brand over here for no real benefit. They didn't build the performance centre in Florida to then send developmental talent to working men's clubs in Leicester.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
The idea that he'd 'buy a soccer club to expand WWE in this country' is utterly laughable and shows zero knowledge about how big WWE is in this country, how valuable it is to Sky and how it had been on tv in this country for over 25 years.

Are you American? I'm interested in why you call it 'Soccer'.

If it were that 'big' though, surely the journalists would know more about it? There's a reason why a good percentage of the general public could reel off half the 1992 roster but would struggle with the current day Wrestlers.

At least this means they have a replacement for Tim Krul lined up.

kato1.jpg

The idea that he'd 'buy a soccer club to expand WWE in this country' is utterly laughable and shows zero knowledge about how big WWE is in this country, how valuable it is to Sky and how it had been on tv in this country for over 25 years.

Are you American? I'm interested in why you call it 'Soccer'.

If it were that 'big' though, surely the journalists would know more about it? There's a reason why a good percentage of the general public could reel off half the 1992 roster but would struggle with the current day Wrestlers.

I'm English, it's no big deal - football/soccer. I saw interviews with Tom Finney from the 1960s the other day where he referred to football as 'soccer'. The idea it's a word only ever used by Americans to refer to football is just one of those naff generalisations that have come in during the Premier League era.

As for whether it is 'big' or not, Daniel Bryan not being in the Royal Rumble was in the top 2 or 3 most-read news stories on the BBC News website the entire day after the Rumble.

Sky just signed a new tv deal where they reportedly tripled what they pay WWE to air WWE tv on their channels.

In the next 7 days, Sky will air a total of 50 hours of WWE programming across Sky One and the Sky Sports channels (including all the repeats/multiple airings).

I'd say WWE is just as big a deal in the U.K. as it ever was. Everyone likes to think the wrestling of their childhood and the stars from their childhood were the best. A casual fan aged 21 now may only be able to name the Rock or Austin now, but that doesn't mean to say that kids aged 10 RIGHT NOW aren't into Cena, Bryan, Punk etc because they are.

I think you overestimate how knowledgeable a lot of journalists are. Some of them are utterly clueless.

Even if that were true, it'd be because the people being asked were kids in 1992 and have grown out of wrestling since.

• Paid Members
I'm English, it's no big deal - football/soccer. I saw interviews with Tom Finney from the 1960s the other day where he referred to football as 'soccer'. The idea it's a word only ever used by Americans to refer to football is just one of those naff generalisations that have come in during the Premier League era.

Fair enough.

Pictos, I maintain that Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior etc are better known in this country to this day. The sole reason is that 1992 was when the sport genuinely was at its peak in this country. You won't find pull-outs in the Sun these days.

• Paid Members
utter nonsense. They're over here every 6 months, it be any more tapped a market

How about running a full time development promotion over here? The market would support that wouldn't it? Especially if they sent regulars and legends over for stints to help sell tickets.

Doubtful. It'd water down the WWE brand over here for no real benefit. They didn't build the performance centre in Florida to then send developmental talent to working men's clubs in Leicester.

I'm not saying it's likely. I'm just saying they *could* tap into the market further. They could easily make a buck or two touring the ice arenas and city halls of the UK building to bigger shows in big arenas. And they could do it for a fraction of the cost of buying a Premier League soccer team.

• Paid Members
I'm not saying it's likely. I'm just saying they *could* tap into the market further. They could easily make a buck or two touring the ice arenas and city halls of the UK building to bigger shows in big arenas. And they could do it for a fraction of the cost of buying a Premier League soccer team.

Perhaps a European tour would be more feasible.

• Paid Members
A Vince-owned Newcastle United could do OK. They'd probably win at West Brom. They'd be the favourites in Sunderland. But they've got no chance in Hull.

Disgraceful that this has passed without comment. Top marks, Lister.

Archived