UKFF's Favourite Promo: Heat 1

JNLister

Heat 1  

99 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

We got 87 nominations, so I've asked for three more. There'll be 9 randomly drawn heats. The winners, plus whichever runner up gets the most votes, go through to the final.

Here's your playlist for heat 1:

Discussion of the promos in this heat is both welcome and encouraged.

The Punk promo in this heat isn't the Pipebomb, it's the pre-Royal Rumble promo with The Rock. I actually didn't vote for it here even though I nominated it, I chose it originally because the Pipebomb had been submitted already. I love that Eddie Guerrero promo, pretty much everything he did in the lead-up to No Way Out 2004 was excellent.

Fucked my vote up and went for the wrong Jake the Snake promo. I meant to vote for the Wrestlemania 8 promo, which is one of the greatest of all time but unfortunately I've had a few ales tonight, so do the right thing and chalk one off the other Jake the Snake promo and put it on the one I intended to vote for. Thanks.

I should have nominated his Tuesday in Texas promos. Jake cut two of the best ever that night. Christ, I dont know what he was on around that period, but he was fucking fantastic.

Oh yeah what a fucking heel. "You look in my eyes Randy Savage and you see two black holes in the sky."

http://www.dailymotion.com/playlist/xcvsm_.../1#video=x272tb

Some sterling mic work on show here. The Bulldog one is hilarious. CM Punk making the Rock look really dated, Ole Anderson being a mega heel and two tremendous promos by Jake. Also basic training is superb. In the end I went for Survivor Series 91. Jake Roberts might be the most believable heel ever.

• Awards Moderator
Some sterling mic work on show here. The Bulldog one is hilarious. CM Punk making the Rock look really dated, Ole Anderson being a mega heel and two tremendous promos by Jake. Also basic training is superb. In the end I went for Survivor Series 91. Jake Roberts might be the most believable heel ever.

Agreed, a very strong pool. I went for the other Jake promo as it just darn works. That combination of sneer and grin without being corny is masterful.

PS. That was the first time I'd seen Box With God. I'd heard it lofted as the promo to end all promos, but the line itself was the only standout part though it was more of a non sequitur from a battle rap. For his part I thought The Rock rebutted him pretty well in a standard hometown face style.

• Paid Members

Had to go for Eddie's promo. It's so unbelievably real. It's wrestling at it's purest and most basic. take a real situation and embellish it for all it's worth. It's been 10 years and I can still hear those promos and feel every word. Eddie wasn't a bad promo guy but he was no Jake Roberts. Because he wasn't always cutting great promo's, this stood out as being particularly brilliant.

The Jake Roberts ones are really good. "Box With God" doesn't do a lot for me. It's good but not out of the ordinary for Punk I didn't think.

• Paid Members

I knew Punk would win this one. I don't like that promo at all. His delivery is great but the content is crap.

I went for Jake at Survivor Series. Absolutely brilliant - funny, charismatic and absolutely chilling even now. What a bastard he was.

I love that Dave Schultz one, by the way. Was he normally that funny in promos, I have to confess to knowing nothing about him.

Archived