Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I gave up on Smackdown after that dreadful opening segment. Exact same shit as Raw. One thing that did stand out was that Corbin was in the SS match when you've got the infinitely better Luke Harper standing there as a spare part. Then they write Corbin out of it and go with Shane. Poor Luke.

• Paid Members

I guess it's looking that way. Smackdown might not have enough bodies to have two main singles titles, so that might help keep things fresh around the main title picture. But Raw definitely doesn't need three singles titles (I'm not counting the cruiserweight belt in that).

Two nights in a row the show started with the Authority figure telling their Survivor Series team that they have to work together as a team in order to win.

Then they have created a main event in which they all fight eachother.

• Paid Members

Two nights in a row the show started with the Authority figure telling their Survivor Series team that they have to work together as a team in order to win.

Then they have created a main event in which they all fight eachother.

It's mental booking isn't it. Not only that, but the two other Raw teams (women and tags) were all wrestling each other this week too. Nonsensical.

I reckoned at the start of the brand split if it felt diluted by Survivor Series it'd be dead in the water and here we are. None of this stuff feels like a war. You know the way people hated how the invasion stuff became about Shane and Stephanie in 2001 and they should not have had such involvement in what were basically outside promotions attempting a hostile takeover? At least it was proper muddy. A video package back then was more or less "you're a big massive cancer, dad. Me and your daughter are going to take all your money. Fuck you and I hope you rot in hell."

Now it feels like Shane and Steph are sending each other petty abuse messages over Xbox Live. It's all really... playful? Tepid?

There's no reason to give a shit about it. None. This is literally the worst the WWE has ever been for me personally creatively. The only thing I can think of that compares is the late 2004 nadir, but that still had enough attitude stink on the breathalyzer and you kind of knew they were slow building to 2005 being great.

• Paid Members

I was at the Hydro for this and thought it was a bit of a lifeless affair, so it must have been rotten on telly. Listening a bunch of kids behind me give running commentary about the wrestlers and story lines using great child logic warmed the heart; took me right back to when I thought only maybe Arnold Schwarzenegger was hard enough to best the Ultimate Warrior.

Without question, AJ Styles is the star of the show. Live (and on the telly) it's not even close, heel or face. Thankfully, the dark match with Styles and Ambrose was proper excellent.

On the positive side, their entrance stage and is really impressive in the arena and makes such a difference to the big time feel of the show, compared to the old set they used for over here.

Archived