Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Awards Moderator

To be honest it all seems a bit soon for them to have such a drastic shake-up. For that reason I'd be surprised if anything other than bragging rights were on the line, just like at previous Raw vs Smackdown PPVs.

I'd be quite happy to see a few under-utilised people switch brands though.

It's only three picks. People were switching shows left right and centre about four months after the first draft in 2002.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be honest it all seems a bit soon for them to have such a drastic shake-up. For that reason I'd be surprised if anything other than bragging rights were on the line, just like at previous Raw vs Smackdown PPVs.

I'd be quite happy to see a few under-utilised people switch brands though.

It's only three picks. People were switching shows left right and centre about four months after the first draft in 2002.

That's true, and I suppose I'm making an assumption when I say it would be a 'drastic' change if they were to do this.

The thing with the draft which I think was part of the 2002 problem, they never get quite the right mix of people and after a few months some need a bit of a tweak so however they do it a few people like the previously mentioned Zayn and Anderson/Gallows can go to Smackdown while you can plop someone from SD's women's division into Raw to give it a new flavor.

• Paid Members

I'm waiting for the Ellsworth heel turn. He must be loving this little run he's having.I also think Orton will turn on the Wyatts eventually.

• Paid Members

Intrigued by the Orton "turn". Sold beautifully by Wyatt. Nice to be kept guessing.

I was also waiting for an Ellsworth heel turn. Maybe been watching too much Russo booked TV of late.

David Otunga sounds like a child narrating a go on the potty. He needs flushing.

How did the use of Ellsworth in the Styles/Ambrose feud come about? I know Ellsworth was squashed by Strowman a couple of months ago, but why did he end up being used in his current role rather than some other jobber?

And with him getting more cheers than Reigns (and Goldberg), you know that Vince is already thinking of ways to sabotage him and turn him heel.

How did the use of Ellsworth in the Styles/Ambrose feud come about? I know Ellsworth was squashed by Strowman a couple of months ago, but why did he end up being used in his current role rather than some other jobber?

And with him getting more cheers than Reigns (and Goldberg), you know that Vince is already thinking of ways to sabotage him and turn him heel.

From what I can remember, AJ had to find a partner of his choosing to face off against Cena & Ambrose (could be wrong about those two) nobody wanted to team with AJ, so Daniel Bryan appointed Ellsworth to be his partner.

Then Miz jumped Ellsworth during his entrance.

From what I can remember, AJ had to find a partner of his choosing to face off against Cena & Ambrose (could be wrong about those two) nobody wanted to team with AJ, so Daniel Bryan appointed Ellsworth to be his partner.

Then Miz jumped Ellsworth during his entrance.

Yeah, I remember that. What I was trying to ask is why WWE have chosen Ellsworth rather than someone else.

Another easy viewing couple of hours. SmackDown just flies by.

Wyatt and Kane kicking the show off weren't the most interesting match up, even if it was no DQ. But the Orton turn was great and the reaction from both Bray and Harper (where's Rowan gone?) sold it brilliantly. I actually wouldn't mind Orton joining them for good before he and Bray start feuding again over leadership, leading to Wyatt turning babyface. Orton leading Harper and Rowan for a while would be a different feel for them.

Becky is the best female performer right now and the crowd are right behind her. Alexa may actually be the best heel in the women's division right now as well, which is quite impressive for one of the least experienced. Pity she's gonna be on the SmackDown women's side at Survivor Series who will all play fodder to the returning Nia Jax, who goes on the warpath for RAW.

Before the match, The Ascension claim they will rise, so naturally they fall to the Hype Bros.

I can't say I'm fussed about being seeing Nikki or Natalya ever again but at least putting the captaincy of SmackDown's women team on the line made it have meaning. And the beat down after the match from Carmella was a good sight. But as I said earlier, it's all for nothing because Nia Jax will be the surprise entrant on Team RAW's women's side and she will win the match for them.

Tag Team Title match and the promo beforehand was all shit, despite Maryse looking mighty fine again. Miz and Ziggler were just shouting at each other taking away from the match inside the ring. Spirit Squad can fuck off for good and wouldn't be missed. Bringing the Headbangers back was bad, this is just fucking comical. Heath Slater remains as good as he's ever been and Rhyno is a perfect foil for him. 

I've always been a Dean Ambrose fan but the falling through the ropes shit needs to go. He did it twice against Styles, both from shots that were nowhere near hard enough to knock him through the ropes. If you're gonna do a move like that, at least make it look somewhat realistic. Ellsworth was great. The finish was great. Styles was great. Fantastic main event. 

Once again SmackDown is head and shoulders above RAW this week. 

Archived