Smackdown Discussion Thread

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

I was shocked that the show hadn't sold well ; virtually the entire side of the arena to the side left of the ramp was covered in the tiers and only floor seats had been sold. I'd assumed over here they always sold out a building like the MEN for TV?

4 hours ago, Supremo said:

It really is night and day between Raw and Smackdown at the moment.

Bloke I was sat next to last night had been to Raw too and when my mate asked how it was in comparison he said "Shite." Says it all.

Bit confused that Charlotte not showing her face wasn't explained properly and why they've decided to split Sonya & Mandy, although the Iiconics have "heel tag team" covered so I don't suppose it's a big loss.

I always balked at the idea of going to tapings as I heard they were a stop start slog. But this was fine and I'd do it again. Despite having to sit through quite a bit of Lio Rush before AJ came out for the two minute banter dark main.

• Paid Members

Cracking show, again! Let's all just enjoy the greatness of Becky while we still can - enjoying the run of her life at the moment. 

Rey/Almas was a cracking little sprint and I'd be bang up for them having an extended feud in the future. I think what I enjoyed most about this was that the style was totally unique from other matches we'd seen in the midcard from both main roster shows this week, and something I think WWE should tap into perhaps a bit more. Variety is key - and if you can cover a myriad of different styles in two hours, in theory you should also be able to do that in three. I know people won't dig Almas losing again but I believe his time will come. 

I can't explain why but I quite like Miz/Bryan's relationship, where they obviously hate each other but there were a couple of moments where they agreed with each other and it was almost as if they realised hey, this guy ain't so bad. Not sure where they'd go with it post-Survivor Series but they do have a weird, buddy copy type chemistry with each other. 

• Paid Members

I can see Bryan and Miz going down the strange bedfellows route. Maybe teaming and even winning the tag titles. But I reckon it will end more like Matt Hardy and MVP than Sheamus and Cesaro because that’s more logical. Could be fun while it lasts though. 

• Paid Members

I hadn't thought of it before but I like it. Miz and Bryan being reluctant partners before Bryan admits Miz has earned his respect only for Miz to turn on him and point out that he never asked for or needed Bryan to respect him could be really good told right. To add a layer, I'd have Miz planting a seed that Styles is causing problems for Bryan leading to Bryan costing Styles the title to Miz only for Miz to then fuck D-Bry up before he comes back to fight him at Mania. Pointless discussion because they'll be back to normal in 2 weeks but it could really work.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I'd have Miz planting a seed that Styles is causing problems for Bryan leading to Bryan costing Styles the title to Miz

I'm not sure the (SmackDown) writers would make Bryan look that much of a prat, or run the risk getting the super babyface losing some fans by fucking the popular Styles.

One more show of bants then at Survivors Miz fucks Bryan because his hate for him is more important than SmackDown winning. Contenders match or triangle match with AJ in December, AJ v Miz at Rumble. Miz wins, Bryan wins Rumble.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I'm not sure the (SmackDown) writers would make Bryan look that much of a prat, or run the risk getting the super babyface losing some fans by fucking the popular Styles.

It does require subtlety that they aren't capable, granted. It would need something huge at this point to make it a Mania match. Your scenario above is far more likely but very dull coming off the back of several matches already.

• Paid Members
35 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Your scenario above is far more likely but very dull coming off the back of several matches already.

Brings me no joy. Those segments last night, biased though I am as they were playing out live, had me cracking up. Here's hoping they get traction on networks and the company notices.

On that note I am still hoarse because of two syllables. BE-CKY.

Shout out for one of the best RKOs I've ever seen as well, Mysterio didn't look at Orton once as he approached and sold it like death.  Fantastic visual.

But yeah, Becky v Rousey is the hottest feud going right now, and absolutely should be the main event.  And it's Rousey, so there's a fair chance of that happening.  Between this and the Nakamura/Rollins match, we've got some really interesting stuff coming up at Survivor Series.

EDIT:  Almas looks a lot better on the main roster than he did in NXT.  I think some people just need the bigger crowds or something.  Not at all the same sort of wrestler, but I wonder if EC3 would be better just going straight to Raw as he's also struggling in the atmosphere of NXT.

• Paid Members

Hilarious. I love how forever referencing the Montreal Screwjob has been replaced by Vince's new Survivor Series tradition - throwing a wobbler at the last minute and changing all his plans. Last year it was suddenly binning off Jinder in the middle of the UK tour, and now he's gone one better. To counteract Becky being injured you put the WWE Title on Daniel Bryan with no build up whatsoever and then turn him heel. Unbelievable.

You know what though, at this point, why the fuck not? All the babyface momentum he had has long gone, anyway. That sense of joy when he came back from injury, how he had people crying during that promo, how exciting it was when he got physical with Owens and Zayn, how he came across as the most likeable man on the planet. It's eight months later and the whole thing is squandered. Losing to everyone, wasting his time in crap feuds with Big Cass, being made to look a psycho in his disappointing feud with Miz, they clearly had no idea how to book him as a top face, so at this point I'm fine with him going evil. Pretty funny that they're going to try and make him a heel against Brock Lesnar though.

The whole show felt like a panicked mess. You could sense Vince throwing papers everywhere and forcing the seventeenth re-write hours before the doors opened. Taking Bryan out of the Survivor Series team before he'd even won the belt made no sense and completely telegraphed the finish. Heyman and AJ randomly bringing him up felt so unnatural and awkward. Becky hugging Charlotte felt completely at odds with her character, too. And Almas loses again? Come on Smackers, you're better than this.

The most heartening thing about the show was that reaction Asuka got when Becky teased picking her. Amazing that there's still some life in that character if they ever decide to give her another go.

Seeing that Nia punch clearly, wow. Honestly, I'd consider sacking her. What was she thinking, the daft prick?

Seriously though, Johnny Gargano and Daniel Bryan are heels. What a fucking laugh.

Archived