The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I've never understood the close fists rule...if you punch someone with an unclosed fist it wouldn't even hurt and you'd probably break your hand. And wrestling is based on feuds where people hate eachother...of course you're going to punch someone with a closed fist. It looks better.

Reigns superman punch is fucking awesome by the way. I don't know how anyone can't like it. Badass.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Closed fist punches were banned because that's boxing. There are so many legal creative ways to strike an opponent - in a grappling sport, by the way - that a closed fist punch was the perfect heel trick. Some things don't need changing.

I take it everyone has me on ignore?! It's not illegal to punch in WWE!!!!

It was daft punching being illegal anyway, you can drop a knee on someone's face or superkick them in the face/on the jaw but you can't punch them? From a kayfabe point of view it was bollocks

Then why do refs still often do that "its ok, it was an open fist" thing, or in other cases berate the wrestler for using a closed fist?

It's fake though, and everyone was punching anyway so why not make it legal? All they did was fix a gap in logic from years ago

Because then heels can use punches as a way of cheating.

I was listening to Stone Cold's podcast the other day, and he mentioned something really interesting.  He said that he suggested to Cesaro that he incorporate a sneaky back heel into his arsenal, behind the ref's back.

And Cesaro said that they weren't allowed to do illegal moves any more, even as a heel.  "We wouldn't be allowed to do that nowadays" or words to that effect.  Stone Cold thought it was ridiculous, as all the best heels made careers out of cheating (Ric Flair anyone?).

No wonder it's hard to get over.  No cheating moves, no bleeding, scripted promos.. these guys have it tough.

Edited by Loki

I agree about not being able to do heel moves being daft but thats a seperate argument anyway, Funny you should mention Stone Cold though, their biggest draw ever as a babyface and half his matches at his drawing peak consisted of punches

If the referees are doing the punch motion thing still then its probably out of habit, doesn't make it right of course as they're making a mistake but I'd guess that it is down to them simply doing it out of habit

Giving the five count for a rope break in no DQ matches is the thing I hate most in wrestling.

Remember that time a few years ago they rewrote the count out rules for one Raw match? I think Evan Bourne was in it, and it was done to facilitate him hitting an aerial move to the outside then getting back in and winning by count out.

The no illegal moves thing is ridiculous. What's the point of banning them? It's like saying they're not doing outside interference anymore.

• Paid Members

Think of no DQ as removing the red card in football. The ref is still going to punish you with a free kick - or a rope break, move you out of the corner, etc - but you won't get the ultimate sanction.