The Official UKFF RAW Thread...

d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

Sheamus looks great, I really like his new look. It's over the top sure, but I think that's good. His hair and perfectly trimmed beard before looked terrible, like Ronald McDonald fucking about with plug sockets.

Oh, and his new music is brilliant. He should've had something like it years ago.

• Paid Members

Nice little Dean Ambrose interview. It doesn't really go anywhere and he doesn't really say anything new, but I still thought it was great. Dean still shows more potential to truly be something special than anyone else in that company.

But yeah, the more supplemental stuff I watch on the Network or on WWE.com, the more I conclude that RAW is more skippable now than in any time I can ever remember. All the best stuff occurs elsewhere! The most excited I've been about this upcoming pay per view was from first watching the Roman Reigns special on the Network, and now this little interview. Nothing they've done on the flagship show has gotten me anywhere near as jazzed.

He's got a ginger mohawk and he wears beard plaits. He looks a muppet. Dolph, on the other hand, has lovely blonde locks and looks like a well groomed, attractive bloke. And I really can't see how his trunks can possibly offend anybody more than Midcarder X, Y or Z's do.

I can't accept his "gear" being described as trunks, they've been on the "too short for shorts, too long for trunks" cusp for too long now - MAKE UP YOUR MIND DOLPH!!

Are they shorts, are they pants? I hate your shants - at least Kofi saw the light!

Reasons Ziggler is shit:

Guyliner.

The "Let's have a good match, I don't care if I win or lose" gimmick.

That finisher where he gives himself a side-suplex.

Letting every fucker kick out of a superkick (although plenty more are guilty of this)

His shitty entrance music.

His noodle hair.

His ring attire that looks like he's wearing a coloured-in nappy.

His crazy bumping that's going to get him killed one day. (See Tensai chucking him over the announcers desk)

Edited by neil is brill

Well plenty of people in this thread (https://ukff.com/topic/128040-dolph-ziggler-is-just-tremendous/?hl=ziggler) thought the above points made him excellent, including a few that have posted here saying he's shit. Granted that thread is a few years old, but barring a face turn I'm honestly not sure what he's done to piss on everyone's chips. The hatred only seemed to start when the rest of the internet decided to overrate him.

And the finisher where he gives himself a side suplex, I'm assuming you mean the Zig Zag? So that means you also hate the RKO, F5, Sister Abigail and about a hundred other finishers yeah?

Edited by Slapnut

• Paid Members

And the finisher where he gives himself a side suplex, I'm assuming you mean the Zig Zag? So that means you also hate the RKO, F5, Sister Abigail and about a hundred other finishers yeah?

That finisher where he gives himself a side-suplex.

Yeah, you've mentioned this before, neil is brill, and I agree with Slapnut. That particular criticism is off, as there are loads of finishers where the guy hitting it basically throws himself. Maybe not the F5 or Sister Abigail, as they're done from standing, so it's not comparing like for like, but the RKO is definitely a valid comparison, or Shelton Benjamin's/MVP's Paydirt, which is basically just an inverted version of the Zig Zag. Also, most DDTs that have a bit of a jump in them, Samoa Joe's Muscle Buster, any jumping neckbreaker or Chris Kanyon's Flatliner - in all these, the executor pretty much slams himself.

The rest of the criticisms you give, fair enough (although to me, his shorts are no different from Billy Gunn's from the majority of his career, probably part of why he's been compared to Gunn so often). But the finisher criticism just doesn't make sense.

To be fair, I only hate the finisher because it looks shit. It's got nothing to do with all the "oh he's jumping and whipping the opponents neck" arguments I've heard at various times when this conversation comes up. It still looks like he's giving himself a side-suplex. Or a jumping version of that hairpull mat slam that the Divas do.

Absolutely, the Zig Zag and the RKO are basically the same move, with Ziggler hitting his from the back, but the RKO is more impressive in that it can be hit from so many different "out of nowhere" set-ups. The Zig Zag doesn't have that going for it. Plus, like the superkick, he likes to let people kick out of it several times. It's just as much the Angle Slam as the Attitude Adjustment is these days.

I try to suspend my disbelief with moves of this ilk, but I've always been bugged by moves where the guy takes a bigger bump than his opponent does. I hate the Blockbuster for this reason, despite it being a pretty decent move. The guy doing it doesn't sell the impact of flying off the middle rope.

• Paid Members

I always try and judge a finisher on whether it does.more damage to the person taking the move than giving it. The zig zag, much like the backstabber, looks like it would hurt the guy giving the move as much if not more than the recipient, as they take the weight of the other person full force onto them, which always bothers me.

I'm sure there are loads of examples of moves that I like which contradict that opinion, but the zig zag sticks out for me.

• Paid Members

I never really had a problem with moves like that - I always rationalised it as the guy hitting it has prepared himself for the drop, so is falling in a way that protects him. The opponent is obviously unprepared for it, so the impact is a sudden shock to the system.

Ultimately, though, it's always going to come down to "because wrestling" and the usual debate about Irish whips, I guess.

I always rationalised it as the guy hitting it has prepared himself for the drop, so is falling in a way that protects him.

I never really thought about it like that before. It's a valid argument for sure, which I'll try to remember the next time I see a Blockbuster. Then again, maybe I should stop trying to apply real life logic to wrestling logic. I still think the Zig Zag is shit though.