Goldberg's streak

Forrest

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Awards Moderator
He spent a couple of minutes chucking Raven into barricades and then went for an intricate leg submission. Odd.

Plain down to Goldberg's insistence in throwing in his l33t MMA movez. In "Who's Next" he plainly admits to knowing nothing about wrestling, and just throwing stuff in because he thought it looked cool.

Had a pretty blase attitude to practically ending Bret Hart's career too. Forgotten how much that book made me hate him.

• Paid Members

Yeah, the Steiner and DDP matches were class. For TV matches, obviously the Raven one for reasons covered a few times already. I liked the Rocco Rock match as well where he speared him through a table in the corner. That was a new, innovative spot at the time and I remember being blown away. Speaking of blown away, Goldberg hitting the jackhammer on The Giant was nuts.

Right, I'm off to watch the La Parka and Jerry Flynn matches.

• Paid Members

Bret ended his own career to be fair, though. He retired due to the effects of multiple concussions. He was in a position to not wrestle all those matches where he took dust bins and chairshots following the Starrcade match. If Bret had taken the correct amount of time off, he'd have returned to action in about a month. And it wasn't "old wrestlers mentality" like people use as an excuse today. The big stars never wrestled a shit load of the trot if they were hurt in the 90s. If Hogan or Goldberg got hurt, they weren't working Jerry Flynn the following Monday.

Agreed. Goldberg's star was something that shone fierce. He really was the biggest star in wrestling for a while and it was completely organic. From 1998 - 2001 the biggest dream match for me, without doubt was Austin vs Goldberg. Remember when Goldberg challenged Austin on Leno? It was a magic time.

Crazy to think it never happened. In fact, it probably still COULD happen, but nobody seems that interested any more. Life moves on, I guess.

One thing I do think, looking back at Goldberg in 98/99; he's got the sort of look/build that Triple H would jizz a whole bollock for in WWE today.

He isn't bloated or full like a bodybuilder, he has that lean, athletic physique but is fucking massive too.

• Paid Members

Goldberg's physique was one of the best I've ever seen in wrestling, or anywhere for that matter. He looked phenomenal at his peak.

He claims to still be in great shape today, which I can quite believe actually. Still talks about a comeback match too, seems more open to it now than any time over the past eight years or so.

Wrestlemania 30 is on the horizon, all the old guard have softened their tone.

If you believe the internet, if Vince plays his cards right, we've got the Invasion PPV coming at Mania but with all the people that should have been there the first time.

• Awards Moderator
Bret ended his own career to be fair, though.

I don't give a flying shit about Bret Hart - he bores me to tears. But I know he is beloved by zillions and can appreciate his work, and there's this bit in the book where ol' Bill says "yeah, so I kicked him bleeding hard in the head. It's called a Kenka Kick or something. And he never wrestled after that. Never mind, shit happens" which is an attitude that kinda sucks.

• Paid Members
I don't give a flying shit about Bret Hart - he bores me to tears. But I know he is beloved by zillions and can appreciate his work, and there's this bit in the book where ol' Bill says "yeah, so I kicked him bleeding hard in the head. It's called a Kenka Kick or something. And he never wrestled after that. Never mind, shit happens" which is an attitude that kinda sucks.

If that's true, that is pretty shit. Never read Bill's book, but isn't he kind of in-character in it?

I always thought Bret was unnecessarily harsh to Goldberg about the whole thing, saying that he didn't care about anyone's safety and that he was dangerous. Those kind of comments made him sound so bitter that you actually lost sympathy for him.

From interviews I've read (from the likes of Eric Bischoff et al) the feeling around Goldberg, at the time, was whilst he was insanely over he wasn't "seasoned" enough in the ring at the height of his popularity. Especially when you consider his massive popularity in 1998, he only debut on Nitro on the September of the previous year in 1997 (I know he spent time training in WCW's power plant but he was still, basically, a rookie). Hence why guys like Hennig and Regal (who IIRC deliberately tried to show up Goldberg during a match on Nitro and caught fired afterwards) were put in with Goldberg. Seasoned veterans who could help make Goldberg look good without show his flaws.

I think that's bollocks to be honest. It was more of a case of big stars wanted to position themselves above him. They had fucking Warrior, a crippled Savage, Piper, Jay Leno and Dennis Rodman in main events during that 18 month period. WCW's quality control was on its arse. Goldberg would have been an improvement over that shower.

Also Regal didn't try and show him up. Regal was told to work with him and Regal wrestled the match he always has with everyone and that's not what they wanted. It was a lack of communication from clueless road agents and a drugged up Regal not knowing what was going on. And Hennig was rotten in 1998. He wasn't making anyone look good.

I wouldn't disgagree with your point about the big stars wanting to hog all of the spotlight on themselves and Goldberg was definitely a much needed breath of fresh air at the time. But this was still in an era where very rarely did someone breakout into the main event in under a year let alone win the world title in that time either. That's massive kudos to Goldberg but the argument he would he have been a little 'green' in the ring, given his length in WCW at the time, would still hold some water IMO - even though it would have been from a view point of a hidden agenda from the likes of Hogan and co.

NB. On the specific subject of the streak I still think Big Puppa Pump should have been the one to have ended it - in the case of a heel. Or DDP.

Bret loves to blame the kick, which was admittedly horrific, for ending his career, but a couple of minutes before that, he went for his figure four around the ring post and smacked the back of his head really hard on the concrete floor.

To be fair, that only happened because Bill didn't hold Bret's foot.

Archived