2013/2014 Scottish Football Thread

David

Yup it's totally different. It's a new club for one as the old one got liquidated.

Sigh. Tell that to UEFA and the SFA, then it might have some basis. 'Company' and 'Club' don't have to mean the same thing.

That said, the shysters are still in place at Ibrox, although it almost seems as though someone's finally gotten around to checking the books and gone 'hey, perhaps we shouldn't be paying all these guys this much money, especially since we're not even a first division team yet'.

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do UEFA support the theory of it being the same club? If so, why aren't they eligible for a license to play in Europe for 3 years? The SFA's position is based on the findings of Lord Nimmo Smith who has been derided for these by insolvency experts.

This explains it better than I could. They're a new club.

Do UEFA support the theory of it being the same club? If so, why aren't they eligible for a license to play in Europe for 3 years?

Company haven't got three full year accounts.

Exactly, because they're a new company. The article I posted points out that all the case law and legal precedents set by other clubs who have been liquidated prior to Rangers doing so have had to start again as new clubs. There is no contingency in insolvency law for the history of a club being an asset that is able to be sold/bought. New company, new club.

I've also never seen a quote from UEFA that supports that theory and if one exists I'd be interested to see how it was worded.

• Paid Members
Do UEFA support the theory of it being the same club? If so, why aren't they eligible for a license to play in Europe for 3 years? The SFA's position is based on the findings of Lord Nimmo Smith who has been derided for these by insolvency experts.

This explains it better than I could. They're a new club.

by JohnBhoy

I'm sure that is a thoroughly impartial article. :laugh:

• Paid Members
Yup it's totally different. It's a new club for one as the old one got liquidated.

Sigh. Tell that to UEFA and the SFA, then it might have some basis. 'Company' and 'Club' don't have to mean the same thing.

In the old Rangers they did mean the same thing.

The company (wavetower) that owned the club (rangers) didn't go down the pan, it was the club that did, funny how there were all the attempts to save the club (show liquidation the red card etc) that never mentioned the company and the club not meaning the same thing. Where have UEFA said there was a difference?

http://www.uefa.com/...club/index.html

UEFA have awarded Rangers 0.860 co-efficient points based on the season they spent in the third division. More importantly, these points have been added to the existing total earned prior to the start of the 12/13 season.

This comes after rival fans of the club harassed UEFA in an attempt to have Rangers deemed a "new club". By continuing the co-efficient total, UEFA have confirmed that Rangers are the same club formed in 1872, ending any hopes rival fans had of claiming the title "Scotlands most successful club".

I can't even begin to describe how much I'm buzzing at the moment. Morton haven't won in their last seven games in the league, and hadn't scored in the last five league games. When that goal went in today, the away end went fucking mental. Absolutely mental. The dugout nearly matched us though. The last minutes were as nerve wracking a time as I've ever had.

Absolutely buzzing.

Archived