Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

Bran's time travelling isn't sci-fi anyway.

That's because instead of giving a scientific reason for it they've given absolutely none at all. As soon as your start with shit about 'time being non-linear' for Bran it strays into sci fi. If you've got a third option that is neither science fiction or unexplained nonsense I'd love to hear it.
It's unexplained nonsense. If you can't handle unexplained nonsense, Game of Thrones is the wrong thing to be watching though. It's a show that can only really be enjoyed by people who love unexplained nonsense and loads of rapes -- and on the whole, I love both of those things. The time travel stuff definitely FEELS at odds with the rest of the show's magic/world to me, but there are probably a million things in GoT already that have broken someone's attachment to it. I know some people went off it as soon as dragons and magic came in at all.

• Paid Members

I guess it's down to the backdrop where you normally expect to find that sort of thing (the time travelling, paradox, whatever you want to call it). On a Sci-Fi show, you expect to see this kind of unexplained nonsense- Red Dwarf loved this sort of thing. The other unexplained nonsense - dragons and magic - has always gone hand in hand with this kind of setting, so it's easier to comprehend. It's an interesting blend between the two that you don't often see. I don't mind the time travelling/paradox stuff in a Sci-Fi setting, but here it does feel a bit weird to me. Don't get me wrong I did like the Hodor bit, but I hope they don't wander too much into that territory.

• Awards Moderator

While watching the latest episode, where tree-fairies threw grenades at Zombies, I mentioned to my wife how 'fantasy' it had got lately.

It's not a criticism - but I remember convincing people about the early series who were switched off by the fantasy element which was relatively low priority to the politics and treachery.

• Paid Members

Add me to those who went off it when it got all dragon/magic-y. I wasn't overly fond anyway but I can't be bothered with shit like that. Plus the entire thing is clearly being made up on the spot and kept alive purely by fan theories and hype. Just chuck shit at the wall, see what the fans let stick and then go "we meant that all along".

• Paid Members

The dragon/magic fantasy stuff has always been there, though. Dragons appeared in the first series, the Whitewalkers were in the first ever scene in series 1 (I think) and the Faceless men first appeared in the second series.

edit: and the 'shadow with a face of Stannis Baratheon (copyright Brienne)' was in the second series, wasn't it? So that's blood magic accounted for early, too.

Edited by PunkStep

• Paid Members

As for Bran's ability to look into the past with Mr Raventree (As we are now calling him). Bran and Mr Raventree use the roots of the weirwood trees to look out through the faces that are carved into the trees, and because the trees are thousands of years old they can look back to any time that the tree existed. This is fairly standard fantasy novel bollocks and you either love it or hate it.

I don't know if anyone else noticed but as they cut into the scene where The Children Of The Forest created the White Walkers, the faces in the trees were smiling. That is the only time that they haven't had a horrified look on their face. Perhaps it was the creation of the White Walkers that caused all the trees to look like that.

As for Bran's ability to look into the past with Mr Raventree (As we are now calling him). Bran and Mr Raventree use the roots of the weirwood trees to look out through the faces that are carved into the trees, and because the trees are thousands of years old they can look back to any time that the tree existed.

Has this been explained in the series?

• Paid Members

Nothing has been explained in the series. It's also a bit of a leap as when Bran and Mr Raventree were watching young Ned fight Ser Arthur Dayne there were no trees as it was clearly a desert setting. Perhaps Bran can watch his family? Just my guess.

• Paid Members
Plus the entire thing is clearly being made up on the spot

and...

I stopped watching during season 2 for what it's worth.

If you stopped watching how would you know that it's clearly being made up "on the spot" (whatever that means)?

For the interested, the TV show producers said they got the "Hold the door" twists direct from the author of the books so it's not something they've just randomly pulled out of their arses.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Plus the entire thing is clearly being made up on the spot

You're aware that this current season, season 6, is the first one not to be based around books where the series started to be published 20 years ago?!

The Shireen thing wasn't in the books.

To be fair, though, as grisly a watch as that was, it was a perfectly logical endpoint for that storyline. And she needed to be written out, one way or another.