Game of Thrones - Season EIGHT (No book wankers)

• Awards Moderator

Poor Oberyn. I'm really upset by that death... That was just brutal. Pedro Pascal has been the highlight of the season for me so, it's a real shame we won't see get any more of him.

My sister's boyfriend appears to have entered a state of deep shock/mourning. We finished the episode about half an hour ago - he uttered the words "bullshit, Oberyn can't be dead, I thought he had it won. Bullshit" and hasn't spoken since. I know how he feels.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was fucking furious when I read this part in the book. I was gutted when I watched the Red Wedding (hadn't read the books at that point), but Oberyn's death felt worse, as he'd not long turned up and was a rare shining light of potential justice.

I think the new Mountain is pretty shit.

• Paid Members

Wow, that one was a kick on the nuts.

I was late to the party with Game of Thrones, and I had kinda guessed Ned Stark would die in season one, as I remembered loads of ads to build up season two on Sky Atlantic and Sean Bean was nowhere to be seen in any of them. The Red Wedding was a shocker, but I disliked Kat Stark, had no invested interest in Talisa, and was pretty "meh' on Robb.

Oberyn though, fucking ouch. Really fell in love with his character. That was extremely brutal. In a bit of shock at the moment.

Some absolute bellend on Facebook put something about a head being squashed like a watermelon and hashtagged GoT thus ruining my night early.

Some one I know who had seen it in America put "For gods sake Oberyn" which also made me think he had lost the fight.

• Paid Members

I didn't finish work until 11pm so have basically been shut off from the world since I got in and finished the episode. Jesus Christ, I don't think I've closed my mouth since the end. Oberyn was a brilliant character and I'm genuinely upset at his death. I'm now wondering where that leaves poor Tyrion, while I'm still in hope he will weasel out of the death sentence, I'm also a realist and know George R R Martin is a cunt with beloved characters.

I'm pretty sure that when he crushed his head with his bare hands then stood up it probably removed all doubt about there being a draw. I hope Tyrion runs as fast and far as his little legs will carry him. Jamie could sort something out I'm sure.

Awesome finish. Having not read the books I was sure the Viper had him.

Watching the scene with Tyrion and Jaime, I was sure The Mountain was going to win. It all seemed too clean and perfect for Oberyn to win... And it's Game of Thrones. I thought the big lad was going to just cave him in while he was doing the silly dances around at the start. I didn't expect the finish to be quite so brutal though.

• Paid Members
I'm pretty sure that when he crushed his head with his bare hands then stood up it probably removed all doubt about there being a draw. I hope Tyrion runs as fast and far as his little legs will carry him. Jamie could sort something out I'm sure.

Thats where my money is, jamie will save him somehow.

I liked the Jamie/Tyrion scene - as it was done as the last possible scene between the two brother - which has a nice mirror effect with the fact that we're probably about to see two sisters re-united for the first time in years.

• Paid Members

I'm guessing that the supposed spoiler from a few weeks ago was when I said that Oberyn would take down the Mountain with his poisoned weapon - was pretty obvious to me that Oberyn was going to volunteer to avenge his sister, and I'm pretty sure that the Mountain is still dead in the water. Didn't expect him to crush in The Red Viper's head, though - shocking, video nasty looking stuff.

I'm seeing Jamie as basically a walking dead man, myself. He's lost so much of his reason and motivation, and I think he could do something reckless to save his brother. Either that, or Tyrion has his head on the chopping block when someone spots a rapidly approaching trifecta of dragons.

So where do people think Jorah will end up? My money is on the wall where he still thinks his dad is. He might be able to shed some light on John Snow's backstory as wasn't he in the war therefore might know who the famous ho who turned Ned's head is.