Facebook updates that blow your mind

SpursRiot2012

I wonder how they'd cope in the westcountry.

"When's that to?" "Where's that to?" "What's that to?"

"Where be that to, me babber? Asdals? Gert lush, mucker."

West Country, or rather Bristolian, see Terry, give lessons on how to speak the lingo

• Paid Members
"Me duck" is a very Nottingham thing.

Yeah, I got called this a few times by the girls in work when I first moved to Nottingham. Hadn't a fucking clue what they were on about. Chuck is another one. Again, in one of my first few weeks here, I was asked "y'alright Chuck"? Thinking she'd mixed up my name I replied "Err, it's Bryan actually".

Idiot.

"Me duck" is a very Nottingham thing.

Yeah, I got called this a few times by the girls in work when I first moved to Nottingham. Hadn't a fucking clue what they were on about. Chuck is another one. Again, in one of my first few weeks here, I was asked "y'alright Chuck"? Thinking she'd mixed up my name I replied "Err, it's Bryan actually".

Idiot.

I have a great aunt who uses the word "cock" in the same way..

"Alright, cock" - that sort of thing, with seemingly no idea that calling someone a "cock" on it's own is rather rude. She was born in London and lives in Essex so I have no bloody idea where the term comes from. There's a fair change she's just a bit mental, but this is something she said for decades.

I was thinking about this a few days ago for some reason. Do Midlanders identify themselves more with the North or South of England?

Most of the time, people from the Midlands like to be their own subsection rather than being either North or South, but if pushed, it would be more of a Northern thing.

• Paid Members
I have a great aunt who uses the word "cock" in the same way..

"Alright, cock" - that sort of thing, with seemingly no idea that calling someone a "cock" on it's own is rather rude. She was born in London and lives in Essex so I have no bloody idea where the term comes from. There's a fair change she's just a bit mental, but this is something she said for decades.

It's cockney rhyming slang - a shortened version of "alright, me old cock sparrer", which means "Hello, friend."

My assumption is "cock sparrer" is itself a rhyme with another piece of slang, the much more northern "marra" for mate.

Us Midlanders arn't Northern or Southern and we keep out of that childish nonsense safe in the knowledge we're superior to both.

I've heard chuck, cock, duck and all those slang names at one point or another. 'Me old mukka' is another one I regularly hear around here. 'Alright me old mukka?' mostly said by old blokes. Black Country dialect probably qualifies as a foreign language.

• Paid Members
Someone I work with that went to uni in Nottingham recommended me cheesy chips with gravy. I don't think I'll be trying that anytime soon.

When I was at uni in Notts I tried that. It was surprisingly good. Like amazingly so