DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Watched The Master this afternoon. It was ok. A great piece of Cinema but I can't say it had me completely enthralled throughout.

Same goes for Mud. I was expecting more because Jeff Nichols' Take Shelter and Midnight Special are both great, but this was just a standard coming of age film.

Edited by Devon Malcolm

Watched The Master this afternoon. It was ok. A great piece of Cinema but I can't say it had me completely enthralled throughout.

I have had the blu ray of The Master on my to watch pile since I picked it up for about £1 when Blockbuster closed down, however long ago it was when Blockbuster closed down.

Same goes for Mud. I was expecting more because Jeff Nichols' Take Shelter and Midnight Special are both great, but this was just a standard coming of age film.

I watched those three films during the last week. I actually slightly preferred Mud to Take Shelter, even though both are good films with good acting from the main cast (McConaughey and to a lesser degree the kids in Mud and Shannon & Chastain in Take Shelter). Thought Midnight Special was very good though. Are Loving and Shotgun Stories worth watching from the same director?

For the first time ever, I watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation on the weekend. I wouldn't say its amazing or anything, but it did make me laugh out loud in certain places.

This scene made me laugh a lot, even though it's probably not that funny all in all.

• Paid Members

Did you watch it when it was on ITV? If so it was cut quite a few times, including the great bit where Clark loses his shit and the immortal 'shitter was full' line from Eddie.

Edited by chokeout

• Paid Members

Christmas Vacation is my favourite Christmas movie of all time. Even trumping Die Hard, Lethal Weapon and Gremlins.

Although Kiss Kiss Bang Bang is a Christmas movie...and that's in my top flicks of all time, ever list.

Between this and my Millers Crossing/Aliens dilemma, my poor brain is in a shitebag.

Embeth Davidtz. She has a lovely upper lip too

Edited by Scott Malbranque

• Paid Members

I have a films set at Christmas / Christmas movies split. All essential viewing at Christmas but different films. national lampoon = Christmas movie. Kiss kiss, bang bang = film set at Christmas. They can both be your favs.

You're on you're own with the Aliens dilemma though, only you can decide that.

I say this as a massive Office and Gervais fan but Life on The Road was shit.

My feeling on this is that as a stand alone film it's not as shit as it could've been and it probably is funny in and of itself, but I'd still prefer he'd not made it at all.

Rogue One was good. I liked the way they did the opening, hope they follow that for future spin offs.

• Paid Members

Just watched an Iranian horror film (such a thing does exist now) called Under The Shadow. It was really, really good as well. I think Kermode called it the best film of the year and although I wouldn't go that far, it's pretty bleedin' good.

Had a binge of Christmas films and specials today, started with the Miz and Paige's film Santas Little Helper which was actually pretty decent then I watched some animation in Frosty The Snowman, Frosty Returns, The Snowman, Father Christmas and lastly How The Grinch Stole Christmas. The Snowman was the first time in 20 years I've seen it, even though it's on the TV schedule every year and is still as heartwarming to watch as it was when I was 11, the two Frosty shorts I was watching for the very first time, liked the original but the sequel just didn't have the same feel to it. Father Christmas I vaguely remember from when I was younger, though that may have been the Kit Kat spoof ad they did, same way Irn Bru did their own version of the famous scene in the Snowman and the Grinch is a regular watch and a classic

• Paid Members

For the first time ever, I watched National Lampoons Christmas Vacation on the weekend. I wouldn't say its amazing or anything, but it did make me laugh out loud in certain places.

This scene made me laugh a lot, even though it's probably not that funny all in all.

Scene below makes National Lampoon's European Vacation for me. I find it hilarious. Nobody else will. Song is Power Station - "Some Like It Hot". Robert Palmer on vocals for some reason..

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Paid Members

Didn't they do the song at the end of Commando as well?

Speaking of which, They loved shoehorning a power ballard / love song into violent 80s action films. The John Parr song from the end of The Running Man is the oddest song choice of all time.

• Paid Members

Probably because he was their vocalist. Decent line up for a supergroup they were.

Damn right, until Michael Des Barres replaced Palmer. He wrote Animotion - "Obsession" and occasional acting fame.

I think the song at the end of "Commando" was "We Fight for Love". Might be wrong there. I think that was a Des Barres one. "Murderess" was a Des Barres one.

Edited by bAzTNM#1