DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

Just been to see The Edge Of Seventeen and it's probably the best film I've seen at the cinema this year. I was wondering when I was going to see Hailee Steinfeld in something again after she was awesome in True Grit, and that performance wasn't a fluke, she was brilliant in this.

I would put some money on her and Woody Harrelson getting Oscar nominations for this.

Watched 47 Ronin last week, and I'm not sure what to make of it.

If you take the overall actual story of the 47 Ronin, add some nuts looking CGI monsters and Keanu Reeves, and thats basically it. The latter 2 things could have not been in it, and it would be a much better film. All the asian actors/actress' in it were real good, so not sure what the selling point of the other garbage is, other than "it looks pretty good".

Also, it has Shang Tsung from the Mortal Kombat movie.......so that was a plus.

• Paid Members

Watched 'Hell & High Water' last Friday. One of my favourite films of the year. Starts off with a bang & doesn't let up. Jeff Bridges is his reliably wonderful self & the two leads were equally as good. It was much funnier than I expected whilst still remaining tense. Top notch stuff.

• Paid Members

I loved Hell & High Water too. Probably in my top 5 of the year, so far. Ben Foster is probably the best character actor around right now, isn't he? Either him or Sam Rockwell.

Other than Hell & High Water, I've been catching up with a ton of other films the past month. Most of them were big letdowns unfortunately. Warcraft was CGI sequel-baiting nonsense, Independence Day: Resurgence was incredibly dull and Maggie's Plan was generic indie fare (it stars Greta Gerwig so I should've known what I was in for). I did enjoy The Secret Life Of Pets though, despite it being a complete Toy Story ripoff. 

Empire have posted their favourite films of the year list;

http://www.empireonline.com/movies/features/best-films-2016/

Thoughts?

Straight away I'd switch Room and The Revenant. Room has stayed with me since I watched it in January but I found The Revenant to be a decent yet incredibly overrated film.

• Paid Members

Sam Rockwell isn't in the same league as Foster for me, but Foster is always the best thing on whatever he's in. Hell And High Water was my previous favourite cinema viewing of the year.

The Secret Life Of Pets was pretty funny. It's been a good year for animation. Finding Dory was really good, Trolls was better than expected and Storks was hilarious, and had a brilliant ending too.

• Paid Members

I first noticed him in Hostage, which is a really under-appreciated little thriller as well. I can't think of a film I've seen where he hasn't been the best thing. He absolutely dominated 3:10 To Yuma, which is some effort when you see the cast in that.

• Paid Members

Went to see Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them last night, I'm a massive (and unashamed) fan of all things Harry Potter but I was a bit sceptical about this with suspicions it might go the same way as The Hobbit ie. be total shit.

I wasn't disappointed and thought it held it's own, did drag a bit in the middle but the last half hour was good enough to almost make you forget about that. The cast, as with all the HP films, were impeccable, Eddie Redmayne and Kevin from We Need to Talk About Kevin in particular. He must be the go to guy for creepy, murderous teenager.

Wasn't sure about Johnny Depp's look as Grindelwald, had a semblance of someone you'd expect to see sitting outside a cafe in Shoreditch drinking a soya matcha chai latte.

• Paid Members

Eddie Redmayne is the weirdest looking bloke to headline a Hollywood blockbuster that I can remember.

I nearly got dragged to see that by my daughter until I pointed out that it was a Harry Potter thing to which she replied, "Oh. Ugh!"

• Paid Members

Redmayne isn't even the weirdest looking guy to headline a blockbuster this year - I was initially confused about Cumberbatch's film, thought it was about a strange-looking doctor.

Still, Redmayne has carved out a nice niche since the operation to separate him from Todd.

Edited by Sergio Mendacious