DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Moderators

I finally got around to watching Straight outta Compton. Really enjoyed it for the most part. I went online immediately after to read a bit more about Jerry Heller. First thing I found was an interview where he talked about bringing a lawsuit for defamation of character in relation to the film. And then as he proceeded to defend himself he unwittingly made himself sound exactly like the scumbag they portrayed him to be in the film. :laugh:

• Paid Members

I guess it depends on how you would define 'big star'. He's never been an A lister or anything like that, and he's never been close to top-lining a big budgeter. But within indie cinema he's been extremely influential and been a part of several films that have gone on and become huge. Within that sphere I guess you could say that he has been, but not on a wider scale, for me.

I still think this is the most inadvertently hilarious scene in cinema history though:-

• Paid Members

He's put in blinding performances in a lot of films. He added star quality to Reservoir Dogs ( and the Tarantino connection gave him a good few years where he seemed to be in everything) and was fantastic in Clockers but he is very rarely the lead in anything. He's that level of movie actor that would be perfect for a decent tv role.

• Members

He's put in blinding performances in a lot of films. He added star quality to Reservoir Dogs ( and the Tarantino connection gave him a good few years where he seemed to be in everything) and was fantastic in Clockers but he is very rarely the lead in anything. He's that level of movie actor that would be perfect for a decent tv role.

Clockers is bloody excellent.

• Paid Members

Richard Price also wrote The Wanderers, a film I have seen enough that I used to have long stretches of it memorized, and Bloodbrothers, which is almost totally forgotten now but is a great book and film.

• Paid Members

A film is kicking about where Harvey Keitel is roided out of his skull. Can't remember what it was. Might have been "Taxi Driver". He looked fecking odd.

"Death Watch" is a good, little-known Keitel film. Made in Glasgow. Only filmed in 1980's Glasgow because the director said the place looked like a bomb hit it. People still think that's some sort of compliment there.

• Paid Members

Richard Price also wrote The Wanderers, a film I have seen enough that I used to have long stretches of it memorized, and Bloodbrothers, which is almost totally forgotten now but is a great book and film.

Wanderers whistle!!

The Wanderers and The warriors are the reason I can't take gangs like the Blood and The Crips seriously. They don't even have matching jackets.