DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

The Jungle Book :
Lads, this really is something special.

I was never a massive fan of the 1967 version. I didn’t dislike it...more, it was just...there, if that makes sense. But this version actually gave me goosebumps and made me smile as I was transported back to childhood memories I didn’t even know – or care – existed.

Favreau has managed to create something that Cameron couldn’t do with that Avatar/Ferngully muck, in that he managed to make something visually stunning with a heart, story and characters to match.

Murrays Baloo, Elbas Shere Khan, Kingleys Bagheera and Walkens King Louis are probably the best voice castings I can recall in recent memory. They are fucking flawless, with Murray in particular bringing an uncontrollable smile to your face almost every time he speaks, sings or whistles.

Johansson seems a bit off and I don’t know what it is, but there was something uncomfortably seductive about how she spoke and sang towards Mowgli, and maybe that was the point, but I found myself taken out of the movie and wondering what it’d be like to have her in the nip in front of you speaking all husky and what not and if she’d mock you or be the understanding sort if you germinated before she even went near you. Not a nice way to be in a film like this, given its nature.
So top fucking marks all round, except for the strange, OTT performance by our Scarlett and Christopher Walkens’ Be Like You is utterly glorious!

I want to see this again, and asap please.

Tried to watch Triple 9 last night. I don't know if it's because I was really tired but I couldn't understand what was going on. I also slept through the last third of the film.

Is it worth giving my time to again or should I just write it off as just being a bit shit?

And just touching on what you were asking, your magistrate, I'd give Triple 9 another shot. It's a grower. I wasn't mad on it first time I saw it but wound up watching it thrice and I really like it now.
It'd be on the level of Dark Blue and Street Kings, but not quite a Training Day.

• Paid Members

love a browse in Poundland when i get chance, the other day i picked up a blu-ray of a movie called Jo Nesbo's Headhunters, im so far behind on movies that i'd never heard of it. Anyway's its Norwegian and stars the dude that plays Jamie Lannister. Great movie! It's about a businessman who uses his job to help himself steal valuable artworks, anyways, without giving too much away he attempts to steal from the wrong dude and it turns into a bonkers cat & mouse thriller. Lots of fun, clever, violent and some twists chucked in. Well worth a quid.

I've been meaning to get on the Norwegian TV shows as they always get rave reviews, this movie just confirmed that i need to get on them.

Edited by Egg Shen

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Looper is great, you pillocks. Rian Johnson is a splendid man.

It's not as good as Headhunters, mind, which is a magnificent movie. Amazed this hasn't been redone by Hollywood yet. It's a bit like the spiritual sequel to The Fugitive and almost as good.

• Paid Members

Agreed on Headhunters, that's a great film, as is Mission Impossible, Rogue Nation. I absolutely loved it, immense fun.

Looking forward to this from the Headhunters director.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409138/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_3

Haven't watched The Imitation Game yet though.

• Paid Members

Really enjoyed 10 Cloverfield Lane. Really tense & well acted throughout. John Goodman is excellent & the fact the rest of the cast were relative unknowns helped keep up the tension as you were unsure who'd make it to the end. I thought I'd figured it out about 3 times throughout only to be consistently wrong which is a good thing. I'd read some criticisms that not enough was explained but I enjoyed the fact that we only knew as much as the protagonist.

• Paid Members

Agreed. It's a strange film, really. I felt that there were so many interesting things going on around that film (the idea of a spin-off / sequel mash-up, its 'secret' production, its sudden release) but the actual film itself wasn't one of them. It had to end that way, I guess, but it didn't stop it from being disappointing. I love Mary Elizabeth Winstead though and I hope she got a chunk of money for doing it and will go and pour that into making something as amazing as Faults again.