DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members
I find them all hard work. Wes Anderson falls squarely into the "kookie" category of film that I really struggle with, as I want to hit the main characters upside the head and tell them to sort themselves out. It's an unfair comparison, but that's the same category that Garden State is filed in, along with Little Miss Sunshine.

I'd say Anderson is far above the level of "this years Emperor's new clothes indie movie", but there's just something that makes me agree a bit with Loki - just the trailer for the new one made me think "here's another fey, quirky Wes Anderson movie, probably called "Lovely Enigmatic Foreign Hostelry" or something. Someone should make him do a horror film.

• Paid Members
Quite the opposite, I was thinking earlier when this conversation started.. although he has a very distinctive style and uses the same actors a bunch, it's not like Tim Burton where you're like "oh fuck off with the same film again".

No, he's definitely not Tim Burton - there's a really distinctive style, and he reuses actors he likes, but Burton is a real fucking case - it's at the point where I dread hearing what Burton's got his mitts on next. I think he's directing "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children", which sounds like a title of one of his books, but is in fact a pallid kids' novel that hangs on some doctored old-timey pictures. It's shite, but it still deserves better than whatever Burton will have Depp and Helena B-C doing in it.

• Paid Members

Watched LA Takedown last night. It's...interesting. Although not on as grand a scale as Heat, it's still worth a watch to see the nucleus of its descendant.

Some of the performances are laughable and it really just seems to be an overly long demo reel for Mann, but yeah, worth a watch. Interesting stuff.

• Paid Members

I've decided to chuck Animal House on again before I watch something else. I did pick up Pleasantville for 75p today. Might be good, I bought it purely because I liked the DVD cover font of all things... and it had JT Walsh listed in it.

... Animal House is fucking ace though, isn't it? I can't imagine anyone disliking it.

Edited by WWFChilli

Blimey! Watched a fair old few films of recent times, but only going to cover three.

The Book Thief. Read the book, loved it. Seriously it's a great book, vivid and detailed. The film is lusciously shot and the first time actress who plays Liesel is excellent (reminds me of Natalie Portman a bit) as is Geoffrey Rush and Emily Watson. Sure the film drags in places and some corners are cut from the book, but overall fantastic stuff.

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

It's a helluva sad film though. Everyone Dies! and it's narrated by Death FFS

Watched The Last Sentinel. Don 'The Dragon' Wilson and Katee Sackhoff. it's kinda of a low budget Universal Solider/Screamers, but the premise is good and even though clearly done on the Universal Backlot, has quite a bit going for it. Sure the budget was about 3p and some of the ideas are not fleshed out. As hokum goes it was enjoyable enough hokum.

Gravity. It's a short writ large, surely? It's beautifully shot and everything, I enjoyed it, but it's not very long and I couldnt get in to the incredulousness of the situationSPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

The ISS blowing up was the final straw I found myself unable to suspend my belief as things with the Soyuz capsule went insane, as did the Chinese Space Station. George Clooney dying after about 'three seconds' was also unexpected

Moon is a much better movie in terms of a story. This was lacking je ne sais quoi and felt a bit, empty. Did I mention it was beautifully shot?

Bit random comparing Gravity to Moon. Apart from being in space they have nothing in common

Twas the whole

SPOILER - Highlight the black box to read

solitude, (albeit Moon has different reasons for that) massive disaster in space thing which was using as a comparison.

Yeah, probably poor choice, but would rather watch Moon than Gravity again to be honest