DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Awards Moderator

I like the look of Out of the Furnace, despite never having heard of it before I saw the trailer a couple of weeks ago. The director also made Crazy Heart, which I mentioned above, so I'm sure it'll be decent at the very least.

Oh, also, watched Once for the first time over the weekend, having previously seen the stage show. That film should win the Best Song Oscar every year. I know that's impossible but 'Falling Slowly' is just such a beautiful, beautiful piece of music that it should be formally and eternally recognised as the wonderful thing it is.

Oh, also, watched Once for the first time over the weekend, having previously seen the stage show. That film should win the Best Song Oscar every year. I know that's impossible but 'Falling Slowly' is just such a beautiful, beautiful piece of music that it should be formally and eternally recognised as the wonderful thing it is.

Christ. Hyperbole just fuckin' floods out of you, doesn't it? First off, 'Falling Slowly' is a maudlin car crash of a song. It's aggressively cloying and unbearably whining. I've had the tremendous displeasure of finding myself in the same room as Glen Hansard on several occasions, and while I find him to be almost impressively rude and downright odious time and again, his reaction to being referred to as 'an Academy Award winner' - to a crowd of people gathered to hear him and others speak - takes the number one spot in his utter cuntishness. Despite this description 1) being completely accurate, not to mention flattering and 2) being perfectly acceptable when uttered by the likes of, say, David Letterman, Glen took offence, noting that art isn't about awards and accolades and titles, it's about the art and the music, maaaaaaan.

The air was immediately sucked out of the room as Glen decided to react to a friendly, throwaway introduction like the despicable cunt that he is. His wretched music is the stuff of nightmares, his signature move is to go real quiet to the point that you think the song is mercifully over BUTNOWAITHE'SBACKANDYAAAAAAAAAAAAASCREEEEEEEAAAAAAAAMMMMMMMMMIIIIINNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG

GGGGGGGGGGGG!!!! Because it's all so fucking emotional, ain't it Glen? You cretin. His gigs are circle jerks with people planted in the crowd to chime in with how lovely Glen is for coming back to his old school and getting up in front of the kids and trotting out his latest rotten dirge. He often plays four hour gigs because his ego is out of fucking control. He's been known to hijack open mic nights, not even bothering to attempt the fake, 'I don't really want to be doing this' thing when the spotlight inevitably comes his way. Met Irglova when she was 13 and was fucking her about five years later. Oh, and the fact that somebody killed themselves by hurling themselves onto a stage whilst Glen was playing is the greatest punchline to the darkest of jokes.

And that fucking song. That vile mess. If you meet anyone who holds it dear, walk the fuck away.

• Paid Members

Agree with Sev there.

My old band played on the same bill as The Frames thrice, and Hansard is a horribly pretentious cunt.

He told our bass player that he played too much like a jazz bass player for a funk band, and that we shouldn't play around with odd time signatures. Funny thing is, we weren't even a funk band. He told Mick from Republic of Loose that they needed to broaden their spectrum, or some shite like that.

This coming from a cunt who's primary function as a songwriter is to seemingly make people reflect their failings in life and contemplate suicide, with each fucking song he writes.

And all this was before he won an Oscar, so I can only imagine what he was like post accolade.

On topic, Once, is one of only three films I actually upped arse and walked out of the cinema on. A horribly acted and edited mess about some hoovering bird and an over aged beatnik.

• Paid Members

What are considered the worst "Carry On.." films? I remember watching "Carry on Emmannuelle" and found it an unbelievably sad and depressing end to the series. Just strange all round. Don't know what the fuck that was all about. What are the other poor entries? Thanks!

Edited by bAzTNM#1

IN a similar vein to Star Wars Uncut, where a group of film makers remade Star Wars the New Hope remade Star Wars with different film makers did each scene in a mixture of animation and live action. There's now a Robocop Remake, The trailer is here. The full film is available at ourrobocopremake.com, I have seen the scene that parodies the infamous attempted rape scene where the guy gets shot in the dick. Not only is that really well shot, it also has about 30 attempted rapists and every single one of them gets shot in the dick in graphic detail. If you;ve not got 100 minutes to watch it, just watch this since it only takes 10 minutes.

EDIT: After watching the entire thing my favourite recreations of scenes in the film have to be The introduction of ED 209 with puppets, The death of Murphy done in interpretative dance and the aforementioned attempted rape/dick shooting which is incredibly well done and extremely graphic. Here's a link to just that scene that's incredibly NSFW on an incredibly NSFW site. http://www.efukt.com/21126_I_don't_rem...in_Robocop.html

Edited by Rey_Piste

• Paid Members
What are considered the worst "Carry On.." films? I remember watching "Carry on Emmannuelle" and found it an unbelievably sad and depressing end to the series. Just strange all round. Don't know what the fuck that was all about. What are the other poor entries? Thanks!

Mostly the ones right at the end - Carry On England and that.

I'd put Emmanuelle as the absolute worst, unless you want to count Columbus. England and Behind are both poor, but there are still the odd gags from reliable hands like Connor and Sims. Emmanuelle doesn't even seem to be trying.

• Paid Members

Re-watched The Color Of Money last night. Paul Newman was amazing wasn't he? There's half a dozen better performances he should have won the Oscar for ahead of this but even still the guy just owned the screen. Tom Cruise plays a hyperactive dwarf to perfection as well

• Paid Members

Paul Newman was one of those big money player types of actor - I feel that way about very few actors now, because I feel like I was first exposed to them either in TV shows, or smaller movies/roles (George Clooney in ER [and even Golden Girls], Mel Gibson in Mad Max, even Brad Pitt in some of his early cameos) - funnily enough, Cruise fits the bill for me. Even though I have plenty of issues with everything about the guy, he was a massive name as long ago as I can remember, and when he's onscreen there's no taint of outside - he's pure movies. Because I've never watched any of the Michael J. Fox TV stuff, outside of the odd cameo, I feel that way about him too, although that perception has been shaken by his more recent health difficulties.

• Paid Members

I rewatched Nobody's Fool the other day, one of Newman's less remembered role. He's absolutely great in it, of course, he seemed to really love playing the grumpy old fart.

The Color Of Money is excellent as well. Shame that Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio's career went to turd.