DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

You'll want to keep an eye out for films where Tommy Lee's the bad guy. He usually directs them himself, and will give himself a gimmick of being a cripple, or blue skin, or speaking with an echo.

The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious is a perfect example, but is unfortunately let down a bit in some scenes by "Flash Legs" Tan Tao Liang phoning it in.

I bought Kubrick's "Eyes Wide Shut" for 5p on VHS from some joker at the carboot sale today. Is it any good? I know it's filled with the old grunt and groan, but does it have any decent storyline? Cheers!

For a film with all the'promise' of sex, intrigue and mystery, etc, it's really, really, really, dull. It's a slog to stay awake watching it. 5p, is probably 5p too much

You'll want to keep an eye out for films where Tommy Lee's the bad guy. He usually directs them himself, and will give himself a gimmick of being a cripple, or blue skin, or speaking with an echo.

The Hot, The Cool and The Vicious is a perfect example, but is unfortunately let down a bit in some scenes by "Flash Legs" Tan Tao Liang phoning it in.

Fantastic, thanks a lot for that Surf. I'll

• Paid Members

Fantastic, thanks a lot for that Surf. I'll

• Moderators
Incidentally, I watched a film you'd enjoy the other night - a documentary called Cropsey, about the crossover between serial killers and folkloric urban myths in the US. Really fascinating story.

I've seen that, and you're right, I really enjoyed it. For a documentary, it's incredibly unsettling. I can't think of another doc with such a creepy, horror movie feel.

• Paid Members

Had a Christmas movie day today and watched Its A Wonderful Life for the first time in years. Such a brilliant film. There's been enough fantastic things said about Jimmy Stewart on here but his performance in it is flawless and the whole film stands up well.

• Paid Members

Went to see Hunger Games: Catching Fire last night. First of all, I don't remember the first one being so fecking long! I did enjoy it in the end.

Though, not enough Woody Harrelson. For a film I didn't really want to see (The Hunger Games), catching fire has got me ready and anticipating the third installment.

• Paid Members
Here's what I made of it. Stupid. Now, I can take stupid movies. But what makes this one so hard to take is that it's so close to what actually happened. How can people in general just be so fucking thick?

This is why the film fails - these cases were not supposed to be about people being 'thick'. The reason these cases were so remarkable were because of the psychological methods used. The guy who did these calls was apparently a long time student of the methodology and results of The Milgram Experiment.

We all know there are some thick twats out there. This film completely fails to tell us anything other than that, and in these cases there is a LOT more to be said. It's a reprehensible piece of shit that completely misrepresents the crimes committed.

I completely agree with both of you (it was on Film4 tonight, so is probably being repeated if anyone wants to try it).

Even going in with some preconceptions, and making allowances for how overly compliant it made the victims, I still found myself cringing at how unmanipulated it made it all seem. My girlfriend was "What the..? This is just stupid" quite early on, and I found myself almost defending the film to her. The ending was a mess too, with - I suspect unintentionally ironic - the TV presenter asking her leading questions.

• Paid Members

I watched Cannon Film's version of "Lady Chatterley's Lover" last night starring Sylvia Kristel. Surprisingly good stuff. A lot less sleazier than the BBC Sean Bean version of the nineties. Bloody excellent soundtrack that I'm struggling to find too.

Edited by bAzTNM#1

• Moderators
Every year I link to this in this thread, so if anyone's interested, the first part of my mammoth year-end best movies list is up. It's all the stuff that didn't make the top 20, and the shittest movies of 2013.

Have at it.

- Love, Spamstro Spammywood.

And here's the first half of the Top 20.

I watched Mud last night. A great little film with really good performances throughout. McConaughey is really great these days, I've always liked him but not enjoyed the shit he was in. The main young lad is excellent and even Reece Wetherspoon puts a decent little shift in. Michael Shannon manages to play a character that doesn't look like he wants to wear your skin for pyjamas and the whole story is just simple but really interesting. I can definitely see where the comparisons to Stand by Me come from but it's only similar in the feel of the film and it's a much more gritty and grown up experience. The review I read said there was a supernatural element similar to Take Shelter but there's really not, it's much more understated and I'd wager most people wouldn't make the same link.