DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

• Paid Members

I think it speaks volumes about me that nobody got I was kidding :(

I did! My smiley was laughing with you, not at you!

Thank god (though I won't deny I love both films).

• Paid Members

Yeah, I like Alien 3 as well. I don't think it's misunderstood or anything and I can see why people dislike it, but I just loved the doom-laden atmosphere of it.

• Paid Members

I've always liked Alien 3.

I can see it's flaws, and I can understand why some folk don't like it, but for a relatively inexperienced guy following in the footsteps of Ridley Scott and James Cameron it's a good looking film, and I like that it's part of the Alien Trilogy, rather than just a sequel to Aliens.

I love the Special Edition of Alien 3, The Aliens different being born from a OX and seeing things from its prespective as it moves around corridors, They killed off Newt and Hicks making the film more personal and about revenge for Riply, also Newt was annoying as fuck in Aliens!

As mentioned above there are some great surporting Characters namely Clemens and Superintendent Andrews and Dillion.

I would say it more a horror film too then a Sci-fi film its very claustrophobic and has a dark feel to it.  

Funny there should be all this talk of the Alien boxest, as i bought the Prometheus to Alien 8-Disc blu ray set for £15 mailed a week or 2 back. It's basically the really pimped out mega 6-disc version fo the anthology set that came in the nice packaging. but in a more conventional case and with 2 Prometheus discs added. This version is stacked with alternate versions and a ton of extras. If you're an Alien fan and don't own the films on blu ray yet, go for this version. Probably the best blu ray set i own.

Here's a review of the 6-disc set

Edited by truthofsin

• Awards Moderator

Probably as close as you'll get, bAz:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_British_films_of_1985

And then hit the same pages for the following years.

Thanks for that. Always wanted to see "Billy the Kid and the Green Baize Vampire" for some reason. Seems well fucking odd.

That's one of my mate's favourite films, he's gone on about it quite a lot over a period of years and I'm still none the wiser as to what it's about!

• Paid Members

Funny there should be all this talk of the Alien boxest, as i bought the Prometheus to Alien 8-Disc blu ray set for £15 mailed a week or 2 back. It's basically the really pimped out mega 6-disc version fo the anthology set that came in the nice packaging. but in a more conventional case and with 2 Prometheus discs added. This version is stacked with alternate versions and a ton of extras. If you're an Alien fan and don't own the films on blu ray yet, go for this version. Probably the best blu ray set i own.

Prometheus is such an awful film that I'd want to be given money to take a DVD with it on.

bAz - I'm surprised you haven't seen Billy The Kid And The Green Baize Vampire, it's the type of obscure British thing I can usually rely on you to have seen!

• Paid Members

browsing the DVD section in Tesco yesterday and noticed The Warrior King 2 was in as a new release. It's pretty rare that buy a new release these days but seeings as a was a bit of a Tony Jaa fan back when he first broke i decided to pick it up and watch it last night.

Holy fuck, what have they done to Tony Jaa? considering the movie re-united Jaa with the original Warrior King's director and given why the reasons why the original Warrior King was such a success it's just baffling the direction they went down with this. Storyline is kind of irrelevant, it's another story of Jaa looking for his elephant but the action scenes in here were just so far away from what made Tony Jaa so exciting in the first place.

Now the biggest problem is probably that they shot the movie in 3D and it's fairly clear that a lot of what's going on in the action scenes is designed to work in that format but the wires, the green screen (probably 3D related), the CGI noooooooo! Tony Jaa's pull was that he was a Muay Thai Jackie Chan doing real stunts...this film just goes in the complete opposite direction, he still uses the same kind of attacks but some of it is so fucking stupid and unrealistic. Wait till you see the fire-fight scene...

I might have enjoyed it if it was a random guy but it was just not the kind of Tony Jaa movie that made the guy such a cult star.

...i wouldn't actually seeing it in 3D however.

Prometheus is such an awful film that I'd want to be given money to take a DVD with it on.

bAz - I'm surprised you haven't seen Billy The Kid And The Green Baize Vampire, it's the type of obscure British thing I can usually rely on you to have seen!

Lol, while Prometheus isn't the greatest film in the world, it actually costs more to get the 6-disc Alien anthology set than to get the 8 disc one which is identical in content, just with the 2 additional Prometheus. I did a fair bit of research prior to buying it in regards to the differences between the sets. And while the £9.99 4-disc set is good value, the amount of content on the 6 or 8 disc sets is insane and worth the extra couple of quid.

Edited by truthofsin