DVDs and Films You Have Watched Recently 3 - The Final Insult

Devon Malcolm

I watched Mama the other night. It was stupid and shit, then the ending made it even shitter. I'm really in the mood for some good horror films at the moment but all the modern ones seem to either be home invasion films or over egged haunting films. I really liked The Conjouring but even that tailed off towards the end. Any horror masterpieces came out lately that I can check out?

• Paid Members

The Loved Ones and Pontypool were out a few years ago now, those are the most recent ones I can think of. They're both fantastic though, especially Pontypool.

• Paid Members

I thought Pontypool was disappointing, and tried to be a bit cleverer than it was. Loved ones was excellent though. Went through distribution hell from what i remember, like Mandy Lane and Trick or Treat, which was a shame

Your top three doesn't include Christmas Carol or treasure island?

I was trying to think of other novels they could adapt the other day. Which would have been putting my English degree to good use but I came up if I could think of anything. They'd do a fun hound of the Baskervilles I reckon.

Of course forgot about Christmas Carol, got it on my bloody signature and all. Not seen Treasure Island, might have to pick it up. Yeah Most Wanted goes in behind Carol and The Muppets tied with Takes Manhattan

Tried watching Man of Steel on Sky Premiere before, god it was boring. Missed like 30 mins in the middle and the last 20 mins as I just couldn't get into the story at all.

• Paid Members

Can anyone recommend a decent horror movie to watch tonight? Something relatively recent, and along the lines of creepy ghost story instead of a gore fest like Saw. I'm pretty easy going, the girlfriend likes stuff like Paranormal Activity, but we have seen all of those.

Recommendations?

• Paid Members

Just watched the Pegg/Frost film Paul - it was okay; entertaining enough. Didn't do enough with pop culture references, and I found Pegg and (especially) Frost unlikeable in this one. Seth Rogan did a good voice job on the alien, though. Bit of a King Cone, really.

Edited by Bill Diarrhea

• Paid Members
Just watched the Pegg/Frost film Paul

I remember the CGI on the alien being really good, I'm pretty old school with special effects but I remember thinking "This might actually not be better if this were a puppet"

Edited by Call me Bellend

• Paid Members
Just watched the Pegg/Frost film Paul

I remember the CGI on the alien being really good, I'm pretty old school with special effects but I remember thinking "This might actually not be better if this were a puppet"

Yeah, the CGI was fantastic - fantastic design as well, subtly made it a really appealing character.

Finally got round to watching Cropsey.

Bloody hell, what a documentary. Genuinely chilling and makes you question your own stance on circumstantial evidence. It's about child abductions on Staten Island. The whole Willowbrook thing was horrific, genuinely upsetting. I got a real 'True Detective' vibe from it, to be honest.

• Paid Members

Bloody hell, what a documentary. Genuinely chilling and makes you question your own stance on circumstantial evidence. It's about child abductions on Staten Island. The whole Willowbrook thing was horrific, genuinely upsetting. I got a real 'True Detective' vibe from it, to be honest.

When I watched it, I was under the impression that it was a movie so was not impressed. Found out it was a legit doc a couple of weeks later. Shocking.

• Paid Members

Have you seen The Imposter, Keith? I think you would love that as well. Really need to see Cropsey though, haven't watched many documentaries recently.

• Paid Members

Have you seen The Imposter, Keith? I think you would love that as well. Really need to see Cropsey though, haven't watched many documentaries recently.

Cropsey is wonderful - rewatching it right now. Think I'm going to watch The Burning next.