Raw results 25/02

HarmonicGenerator

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You'd think, wouldn't you? In fact, that's what I liked about it. It was noticeably not as slow-burning and slow-building as their PPV matches, but that's because it was a TV match, and as a TV match it was perfect. And even with that in consideration, it was still miles away from moves glued together.

• Paid Members

Finally watched Cena/Punk last night. That was a bit bloody good, wasn't it? I did mark for the Piledriver. And countering each others big moves just flowed beautifully with their history. They know each other inside out. And the hurricanrana was perfect- it wasn't pretty, it wasn't meant to be. It was meant to be trying something different out of desperation. And guess what? It worked! Punk was caught so much off-guard that Cena hit a hurricanrana, that he walked straight into the AA for the finish. Sin Cara does the pretty ones, Cena's was strategic. You don't want it looking graceful, it will deem the high flyers pointless. I guess it was a good thing Brock fucked up that SSP looking back.

I haven't seen the Punk/Cena match from last year's Night of Champions. Where does it rank with the Raw and MITB efforts?

I haven't seen the Punk/Cena match from last year's Night of Champions. Where does it rank with the Raw and MITB efforts?

I'd say it's not as good as Money in the Bank but was better than the Raw match, not taking anything away from Monday's incredible effort though. The Night of Champions match marked the turning point in Punk's title reign and the new addition of Heyman to Punk's side added intrigue stood at ringside. Cena was back in a good feud here too after the Laurinitis and Big Show feud's stunk up Raw for a few months. I'd say it was the stand out match of Punk's title reign and was

a breathe of fresh air as the WWE Championship was taking centre stage again. Saying all of that, perhaps it was the story surrounding the match that made it so enoyable at the time.

I hope WWE produce a Cena-Punk 'greatest rivalries' set featuring all the great promos and matches between the two at some point, that'd be a must buy and would be a fuck load more entertaining than the Rock-Cena DVD they put out.

• Paid Members

Is it safe to say that Punk is Cena's best opponent and vice versa? Cena just comes across tons more interesting against Punk than he ever has with his other big enemies eg. Edge, Randy Orton and Cena definitely brings out the main eventer in CM Punk. With everyone else Punk just doesn't seem as special.

It reminds of the big crossbody spot in the Rock vs. Cena match which was a bit ruined for me as I'd already seen it literally the day before when watching a random match on Superstars with Cena and DiBiase. He'd already used it at TLC, but he did it far better this time round.

Is it safe to say that Punk is Cena's best opponent and vice versa? Cena just comes across tons more interesting against Punk than he ever has with his other big enemies eg. Edge, Randy Orton and Cena definitely brings out the main eventer in CM Punk. With everyone else Punk just doesn't seem as special.

What you were writing then kind of made me think of that quote about Batman and Joker, something like if there was no Batman, there'd be no Joker. But I agree, I think Punk and Cena definetly bring the best out in each other. I'd love to see another big feud between the two, if the big Summer storyline this year involved a feud between Cena and Punk I would be more than happy.

John Cena vs CM Punk feuding again for the third year in a row would be terrible for me. That Raw match was cracking, and makes a fitting end to their rivalry for the time being. I'm sure they will end up wrestling again on pay-per-view this year (because of the "well who the fuck else is there to headline PPVs?" factor), but I'd rather someone get hotshotted up the card into competitive battles with them.

• Paid Members

Indeed, plus the more they wrestle the more it takes away from their previous matches I reckon. Take Rock/Austin for example, very few actual PPV matches between the two in a feud that spanned what, six years? 97 until their match at Mania 19.

• Paid Members

Finally seen the match in full, I actually jumped out of my chair for the Batista bomb and the pile driver! A solid match, and to be fair that Frankensteiner looked fairly good as well.

I think (or would like to think) Cena/Punk is finished with now, as they have had a fair few matches.

Indeed, plus the more they wrestle the more it takes away from their previous matches I reckon. Take Rock/Austin for example, very few actual PPV matches between the two in a feud that spanned what, six years? 97 until their match at Mania 19.

From memory...

Singles match at D-Generation X:In Your House.

Last two in the '98 Rumble.

Raw the night after Survivor Series '98.

WrestleMania XV.

Backlash '99.

Four-way at Rebellion 2000.

Armageddon six-man 2000.

Bit in the Rumble 2001.

WrestleMania XVII.

Cage match the next night.

Rebellion 2001.

Teams at Survivor Series 2001.

WrestleMania XIX.

I might have missed one or two, but that's also scraping the barrel counting Rumble matches etc. It's very few matches given the timeframe and the pace at which wrestling storylines moved back then.

The counter to my argument is Rock vs Triple H, who fought on smackdown every single week for the entire first year it was on the air (yeah they did) and also wrestled each other twice every week on Raw during that same timespan (they bloody did, look it up) and that never really got old.

Archived