Raw results 25/02

HarmonicGenerator

I thought there was a good chance of a double pin ala' Night of Champions to set up a Wrestlemania 3 way, and watching live they had me believing in every near fall even though going in I was convinced there was no way Cena would flat out lose.

If it wasn't for Punk's pre match promo about being an icon and being God, I'd say Taker would be great as the man to lead a 6 man tag with the Shield at Mania. I still think it would be a good move, hide Taker's physical weaknesses and The Shield are one of the biggest acts in WWE. That verbiage seem to indicate Taker returning as the "devil" to Punk's "God" though.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The main event had me hooked by the time Cena ducked that short-arm clothesline. Absolutely superb effort from both men, and the right one won. It really felt like the two top guys who know each other so well giving their all for the grand prize. It made the WrestleMania main event seem important in a way that the Elimination Chambers and even the Rumble rarely do. Top marks for WWE on this front.

That said, I don't care much about Rock vs Cena II yet, or about Lesnar vs HHH II. That brawl at the start was a good buildup, it just didn't grab me. I'd still prefer it to turn into a tag match with Undertaker and Punk.

Sheamus vs Barrett is an odd feud. They've had fifty TV matches in the last year so the intrigue's gone, Barrett's got absolutely no momentum, and Sheamus' other current feud with The Shield seems way more important than this shoehorned-in shit. It's such a waste as well, if they'd saved it til now and put a bit more thought in, this could seem like something big for WrestleMania, particularly for us over here. I'm hoping this is just an excuse to show the film trailer and not actually a WrestleMania match... And yet, I don't want to see Sheamus in another six-man against The Shield and he's got nothing else going on. So I do want this to be a WrestleMania match?

Randy Orton dropping Rollins with the RKO like that is the perfect use of Orton. They often get his booking wrong for me by not playing to his strengths, but they definitely did it here. Orton vs Cesaro was a repeat though, I skipped it.

Miz TV with the world title scene guys was fine. Didn't care for the Glenn Beck references, but I thought both sides did a decent job of arguing their case, particularly liked Zeb's grudge about how Del Rio's success inspires millions of illegals to sneak in. Swagger vs Miz was decent as well, Swagger looked dangerous and Miz looked tough. Miz definitely has that ability to look strong and admirable in defeat, and I think they should do that with a big PPV match for him.

Kofi and R-Truth vs Rhodes Scholars is a step backwards for Kofi and Sandow. They should both have moved onto bigger and better things instead of hanging around their no-hoper ex-partners.

Ryback vs Ziggler in a throwaway match... What was the point of that? Both of these should have strong, specific storylines that they were dealing with last night. Ryback being on fire tied in to how pissed off he's been and his run of bad luck with The Shield, but still.

I thought Darren Young was injured? I'm curious to see what Team Hell No end up doing at WrestleMania. Unless there's a big Team Booker T vs Team Big Show match or something, it must be a tag team turmoil kind of deal?

Raw was a decent show this week, I enjoyed it due to two great segments.

The Triple H vs Lesnar brawl was great, Lesnar getting busted open helped it alot, but I like many of you have no interest in seeing Lesnar vs Triple H II, I just dont see the point, Triple H will prob go over :/.

Ziggler jobbing to Ryback again doesnt help either man really, they shouldnt really be in a match against eachother, both men need to look strong going into wrestlemania. Does Ziggler's Money in the Bank contract last till Money in the Bank this year or Wrestlemania, I always thought it was Wrestlemania.

Miz is as annoying as always as a face, just fast forward anything he does now. Same with Sheamus

The Kane and Daniel Bryan storyline needs to come to some sort of head soon, it's dragging now.

Am I the only one who really isn't enjoying the Jack Swagger/Dutch Mantell combination, It just bores me, I was hoping when I heard Jack Swagger got arrested, I was hoping they would drop it.

Now the main event, was awesome, both men worked really hard, Punk always makes Cena look good and Cena looked good here, great match. The piledriver I marked out for I was literally shocked, the move looked good and the reaction from the crowd was great. Now i'm not really sure if a Punk vs Undertaker match will work, and if they don't go down that route I dont know what they will do. Time will tell.

• Paid Members

The entire arena's reaction to the piledriver could be one of my favourite ever wrestling moments already. Absolutely brilliant. Cole and Lawler sold it brilliantly as well. It was like when HHH hit Undertaker in the head with the chair at Wrestlemania a couple years ago except better.

I don't really remember what happened in the rest of the show and didn't really care.

With everyone heaping praise on the HHH/Lesnar brawl, am I the only who thinks HHH once again let ego get in the way of what makes good business. I would have more interest in seeing that match at WM if he doesn't send Lesnar scrambling & stands victorious in the ring. Surely if Brock leaves him laying again it leaves people wondering if H3 can actually get the job done.

That if course wouldn't allowed him to look cool.

• Paid Members
With everyone heaping praise on the HHH/Lesnar brawl, am I the only who thinks HHH once again let ego get in the way of what makes good business. I would have more interest in seeing that match at WM if he doesn't send Lesnar scrambling & stands victorious in the ring. Surely if Brock leaves him laying again it leaves people wondering if H3 can actually get the job done.

2003 called....

Sorry, you're completely off base here. Lesnar has been bullying McMahon for a few weeks, put him in surgery and, lest we forget, beat hunter at summerslam and broke his arm. Twice. This was HHHs big return to come to the rescue. If he'd come out and gotten his arse kicked, it would've been TERRIBLE for business as he would've been no threat. He came out, had a brawl and was starting to win when Lesnwr bailed, that's exactly what the returning babyface should do in that situation, to make everyone think "hey, maybe he can beat this monster". If he'd got beaten up there would've been no intrigue there at all

• Paid Members
Punk vs Taker wont work.

No one buys Punk being able to beat him do they?

The match will be good, though.

That point would be valid if their last match didn't end with Triple H getting his arm snapped and tapping like a bitch.

The whole point of the angle on Raw was to show that Triple H is back and that somebody is ready to stand up to the beast and give Lesnar the beating he deserves. It would be well shit if Triple H came back in his jeans and Lesnar beat him up, again. Why would folk want to buy that match? They've already watched Triple H get destroyed by Lesnar.

EDIT: Duke, indeed.

Punk vs Taker wont work.

No one buys Punk being able to beat him do they?

No one will ever beat Taker at Mania. Ever. But Punk can work excellent matches and can work around others weaknesses. I reckon they can work a great slow match together. Wont be the best match but it keeps Taker on the card and gives Punk the high profile Mania match he deserves without being in the main event.

Saving this to notepad for next time someone on here pretends people like you don't exist anymore.

• Paid Members

Saving this to notepad for next time someone on here pretends people like you don't exist anymore.

That he's named after Spike Dudley completes the effect, for me.

• Paid Members

Your counter argument is a bit 'base level', to be fair. Surely a person of such brilliance that he's above us all, would fire back with something that will maybe make us underlings ponder, for a moment, that Triple H is such a fiend that he stuck his mighty goo bazooka up Stephanie so he'd win more fake belts AND RULE THE WRESTLING WORLD!

Or, you know, don't.

Archived