• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, AVM said:

Hopefully AEW pillages Impact's talent pool. I'd love to see Gallows & Anderson, Sami Callihan etc. on Dynamite.

tenor.gif?itemid=12202299

Bit surprised to see such a negative reaction tbh as I thought that, with the constraints of an empty studio in mind, Josh Mathews was more bareable than usual on commentary while there was a nice selection of matches while cutting comedy/marmite type segments to a minimum. 

Just now, garynysmon said:

tenor.gif?itemid=12202299

Bit surprised to see such a negative reaction tbh as I thought that, with the constraints of an empty studio in mind, Josh Mathews was more bareable than usual on commentary while there was a nice selection of matches while cutting comedy/marmite type segments to a minimum. 

It was okay. Just not the home run it should have been for the importance of this week. Although if they have taped in advance then that might explain it.

• Moderators

Unfortunately the fetid stench of AEW affected impact last night. They took out all the stuff that makes impact fun, probably for the viewers of AEW in an attempt to keep them. No Johnny Swinger, no weirdness, no fun. The more Kenny Omega there is on impact the less time there is for things I enjoy or give a shiny shite about on it, so I hope the angle ends on the next AEW TV.

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Unfortunately the fetid stench of AEW affected impact last night. They took out all the stuff that makes impact fun, probably for the viewers of AEW in an attempt to keep them. No Johnny Swinger, no weirdness, no fun.

The swing man is definately one of the best gimmicks in wrestling and doesn't fall into the 'marmite' category of Impact segments which are either loved or loathed.

Its a shame he didn't have anything to do on this pre taped episode really.

• Moderators

From what I see it's just a load of people seeing they didn't enjoy it. All the cool and hard people are bemoaning the fact there was no campy funny stuff this week, and all the inferior types are complaining that Josh Matthews has a job and the crowds are empty. 

A home run for all involved. 

• Paid Members

It definitely didn't feel like a regular Impact with all the focus on another company. Hopefully, it doesn't last too long as Impact has really found its place and is a fun watch each week. It leans in to the campy, hokeyness which really is fun when it isn't taken seriously.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

From what I see it's just a load of people seeing they didn't enjoy it. All the cool and hard people are bemoaning the fact there was no campy funny stuff this week, and all the inferior types are complaining that Josh Matthews has a job and the crowds are empty. 

I think the lack of crowd noise is a bit of a harsh criticism given that every promotion bar AEW is going down that road and not every promotion owns an American Football stadium with a smaller open air arena next door to accommodate a couple of hundred fans. 

Yes they could have a couple of wrestlers standing around the ring (which I found cringey as fuck when the WWE did it), but I understand the reasoning behind not going down that road is that as Impact only have everyone together for a couple of days a month that they need all hands on deck for pre-tapes etc. These tapings sound gruelling as fuck tbh.

As weird the silence is, I'd be the first to moan if they piped in artificial crowd noise to be fair.

@Nick James I expect that by next week the wheat will have been separated from the chaff and it'll be back to normal programming, with the audience down on last night but probably at least a little higher than it was before.

Edited by garynysmon

Yeah lack of noise is an unfair criticism for a smaller company, ROH have same issue from what I've seen, NJPW has a decent size crowd they don't make noise but do clap but NJPW crowds are known for being quieter so it's not noticeable.

KO promo was good, looked more the part too bit more rockstar look, two Tony's ad was bit unfair to shit on Impact and khan's I've aloud Kenny to appear on Impact or I could easily file an injunction...thanks for ruining that aspect of the angle.

Only bits of Impact I've seen this year was EC3 debut with Josh doing a Micheal Cole "EC3 IS HERE IN IMPACT WRESTLING....AND HES CONTROLLING HIS OWN NARRATIVE"  subtle stuff 👍

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

KO promo was good, looked more the part too bit more rockstar look, two Tony's ad was bit unfair to shit on Impact and khan's I've aloud Kenny to appear on Impact or I could easily file an injunction...thanks for ruining that aspect of the angle.

I took that and Omega's subtle shitting on Rich Swann/Impact to be leading to some kind of Impact "rebellion" down the line where someone will rock up on Dynamite.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Unfortunately the fetid stench of AEW affected impact last night. They took out all the stuff that makes impact fun, probably for the viewers of AEW in an attempt to keep them. No Johnny Swinger, no weirdness, no fun. The more Kenny Omega there is on impact the less time there is for things I enjoy or give a shiny shite about on it, so I hope the angle ends on the next AEW TV.

The shows were taped about a month ago for the rest of the year. You can blame Impact for what matches they included in the episode, not AEW

And @AVM they do have some good wrestlers on the roster, but keep Gallows and Anderson and Callihan away from Dynamite. They stink.

• Moderators

I'm aware of that but the 15 minutes or so of AEW material weren't about to be dead air if this angle wasn't going on now, was it? And looking at the rest of the show, that's more than likely where they'd have added the fun/surreal ingredients and comedy. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

I'm aware of that but the 15 minutes or so of AEW material weren't about to be dead air if this angle wasn't going on now, was it? And looking at the rest of the show, that's more than likely where they'd have added the fun/surreal ingredients and comedy. 

so, whilst you are right that 15 minutes was taken up with AEW stuff, Impact were the ones that put the show, and chose the matches to be featured on it. By your point, and I agree with it, with more focus, they should have nailed the content, but by all accounts, they dropped the ball

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

No, the point is that I don't want any AEW on my impact as it ruins it for me as something will have to make way for it.

To put a positive slant on it, I can't see how Impact come out of this not having garnered at least a few extra viewers going forward. Anything that put the company in a healthier state financially and popularity wise is worth it in the long run.