What an pants show. Got to the Gauntlet match and gave in. All the matches were horrible, espeacially the Gauntlet and ODB/Jackie.

The ladder match was OK, but it was one of the matches you don't like watching because you exoect someone getting hurt anytime. so glad they binned the Young Bucks.

There is one spot in the ladder match where it looks like one of them gets killed. Brutal spot. Mike Tenay said something like "there are bodies everywhere" in a monotone voice, completely ignoring the spot. How is he still employed?

Also, at he start of he ladder match, Christy Hemme said "the following contest, scheduled for one fall is a ladders match". It's like she sits at ringside every week but really hasn't a clue what's going on.

The point that Borash was commentating, and ring announcing at the same time as being a backstage interviewer was incredible too. The commentary was obviously recored after the show, but could they have made it more obvious that this was just a piss about for them? Tenay joking about JB being on triple duty.

Can you imagine how pissed off you would have been if you had to pay for this show. I'd love to see the figures for it.

• Paid Members
Also, at he start of he ladder match, Christy Hemme said "the following contest, scheduled for one fall is a ladders match". It's like she sits at ringside every week but really hasn't a clue what's going on.

Don't entirely see what's wrong with that. A "fall" is a period of competition or a means of scoring, depending how you look at it. Yes, the most common method of winning a fall is the "pinfall", but the two aren't interchangeable as terms.

You could have a 2-out-of-3 falls ladder match, if you wanted.

Don't entirely see what's wrong with that. A "fall" is a period of competition or a means of scoring, depending how you look at it. Yes, the most common method of winning a fall is the "pinfall", but the two aren't interchangeable as terms.

You could have a 2-out-of-3 falls ladder match, if you wanted.

Fair enough, I just didn't think it sounded right.

It would have been more accurate if Hemme said "this next match is scheduled for several contrived falls". Because thats what you get with a Generation Meh match involving ladders.

That's definately more accurate, although I did like the fall off the ladder straight into the springboard summersault dive. Granted they'd obviously set up for him to fall off the ladder to the floor and be caught by the guys out there, but I didn't expect what happened.

• Moderators

Adam Pearce on Gut Check.

"u got fkd by tna".

I wholeheartedly appreciate the passion and the sentiment. I really do, and I am still blown away by the crazy positive support that I got as a result of the GutCheck experience. It was both refreshing and unexpected. But guys, let's take an OBJECTIVE look at it.

Through GutCheck, I got National TV exposure with an authentic presentation of my "character". And even though I wish the match itself was better and got over the things it was supposed/designed to, I did what I could, and I saw an immediate increase in attention to my character and booking inquiries about it. That led directly to $$$. I do this for a living, remember.

Through GutCheck, I found myself working once again with a litany of awesome professionals that at one time or another I've wrestled with, booked for, or produced television with. It was such a natural and seamless fit into that process that I think it probably caught some execs more unfamiliar with me off-guard a bit, and that couldn't be anything but a positive.

Through GutCheck, I made new contacts and opened doors. People that might have only heard of me in passing got an upfront sense of what I am about, both behind closed doors and when the cameras are on, how I operate in the ring, and maybe more importantly how I put things together outside it. That exposure alone might have been more positive, and perhaps more valuable for me, than SpikeTV's.

Perception very rarely (if ever) equals reality.

A couple things to think about:

I'm now 5 years older than what is considered "old" today in our industry. Whether I agree with that personally means nothing; it's simply the way it is today. That means that any TV exec or Guy in Power that looks at demographics and ratings potentials would see a 35 year old MAN mixed in with a majority of twenty-somethings, and probably wouldn't see much of a shelf-life. He probably would also see that a 35 year old MAN rolling around usually doesn't jibe with the audience that the TV products generally target unless the person is an already established and recognized star. And I simply don't fit that bill. Further, the analytics of my own Facebook fan page (https://www.facebook.com/Adam.Pearce.FanPage; please LIKE, thanks) tell me that even though my ego tells me not to agree with it, Mr. TV Exec and Guy in Power is probably right.

And that's okay.

The truth is that my interest in GutCheck was never about finding lightning in a 6 minute segment/bottle and becoming a TNA wrestling superstar in a flash. If it were, (SPOILER ALERT) I would have done it a long time ago when I was a touch younger and initially asked about it. That spot instead went to someone I know well and he did GREAT with it, the sleazy bastard.

My honest interest in finally doing GutCheck was the proverbial notion of getting a "foot in the door", not ever expecting that I'd blow people away with my very simplistic wrestling, but wondering if my other intangibles would, in some way, keep that door open for another time in the future. And that, guys, remains to be seen. No one has told me to f--- off yet.

Sorry for this novel, but I'm always getting asked if I'm pissed at TNA, or getting told that TNA "fkd me". Please don't be surprised or offended if I scoff at those notions a bit. It doesn't mean I don't 100% appreciate it, because I do, it just means that I know more about my situation there than anyone else.

I got exactly what I EXPECTED when I did GutCheck, and that's mostly because I forced myself to #OpenMyEyes ahead of time.

By the way, I'll have brand-new shirts available for sale this Saturday in Kansas City, KS for Metro Pro Wrestling (metrowrestling.com) and in Brownsville, TX on Sunday (also available here: http://www.prowrestlingtees.com/adampearce). If you please, #OpenYourWallet.

If you plan on attending these events, come by, say hi, and tell me what you think. If you're not coming, leave a comment here with your take on things.

Thanks for reading.

• Paid Members

It says a lot when Adam Pearce is using you to fill up his booking sheet. Glad to know he's not as daft as we all thought he was. Adam Pearce should also realise he's actually younger than Bobby Roode, AJ Styles and James Storm who they are still pushing as their future. He's also the same age as Sheamus. He's being harsh on himself in regards to his age.

He had a lucky escape if you look at the people they sacked recently. You have to think he'd have been next. Sacking Doug Williams and keeping guys like Adam Pearce isn't going to make much sense. He'd have been on the chopping board with all the cuts recently.

Edited by IANdrewDiceClay

Yeah, he's way off about age, but everything else is well reasoned.

Mainstream wrestling does nothing but dump on people who are under the age of about 28/29 and doesn't stop referring to anyone as 'kid' till about 32. He's probably had his opinion formed by working the indies where youthful exuberance probably does outweigh experience and gravitas. I'd say 75% of wrestlers, if they're not making good money, and haven't made it to WWE, probably pack it in in their early 30's.

So many wrestlers don't even start their careers till like 24/25/26 (usually due to a past history in another sport), and usually a 'prime' happens somewhere between 32 and 38.

It's a shame he's so down on himself.

How old was Benoit when he came to WWE? 35?

We've all started talking about how Roode is getting too old to switch to WWE, so we're guilty of the same thing. I don't think TNA or WWE really have that fixed a rule about it all. Pearce could get a regular slot with TNA if they were really impressed with him. I thought he looked good, but it's not like I thought "I HAVE to see him on my telly every week".

I admire his pragmatic views though.

• Moderators

Roode's "too old" to go there now because Johnny Ace instigated a policy of no under-30s coming in to the company unless they were a name, or something. Personally I'm of the opinion that age means fuck all if you can still go, but YMMV.

EDIT: Cliff Compton just tweeted "I will do the TNA Gut Check for $1,000,000. How about it @TNADixie". He been asked to do it and refused perhaps?

Edited by PowerButchi

EDIT: Cliff Compton just tweeted "I will do the TNA Gut Check for $1,000,000. How about it @TNADixie". He been asked to do it and refused perhaps?

Gut Check is not for ex-WWE guys like Compton. It's for indy people only. This is just a case of Compton being Compton and having some fun on Twitter by making ridiculous statements.

Edited by pgi86

Gut Check is not for ex-WWE guys like Compton. It's for indy people only. This is just a case of Compton being Compton and having some fun on Twitter by making ridiculous statements.

Compton also tweeted that he'd sell CM Punks phone number for $500,000 which cracked me up.