Tiki Taka or Long Ball?

Fatty Facesitter

Style of Play  

46 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

For my sins, I was listening to Talksport Drivetime yesterday on the back up to the Fine City. Abnormally for this show, some good debate and discussion actually came to the forefront about the respective styles of play mentioned in the thread title.

Neat, passing play is generally considered to be the most pleasing on the eye, and also lauded as the most creative and industrial. But long ball does have its merits too, and despite not being the most pleasing on the eye it can yield results. Usually when a team is struggling for results, they tend to revert to such a style and tighten up defensively to stop the rut.

Personally if I had to pick one of those poll choices, I'd pick option 3. At City we tend to play a happy mixture in that we're capable of playing it on the ground and can produce some neat passing play, but we're not afraid to revert to the long ball once in a while (incresingly away from home) if we need to.

So what do you prefer? I'd imagine most would say they'd prefer to see the first option, but not everyone can be a Barcelona. Look at the likes of Blackpool for instance. Is all that passing play and entertainment factor really worth relegation? And if you had to, would you rather your team played in a similar way that Stoke are renowned for if it meant Premier League (or insert your alternative league of choice here) stability?

Or if you prefer, like me, to sit firmly on the fence, go for that.

• Moderators

Real men twat the ball. Long ball all the way for Butch.

But in all seriousness, there is a lot of merits to the work of people like Charles Reep. Look at the huge successes had by teams like Wimbledon and Graham Taylor's teams of the 70s and 80s. Maybe times have changed and long ball isn't the force it once was, but I don't think there's a better system for getting the best out of mediocre players by exploiting their physical gifts.

• Paid Members

Things is, when I think "tiki taka" (ugh) and Barcelona, I think pass-pass-pass-pass-pass and S L O W buildup waiting for that opening to happen. I don't care for long ball, but the type of football I like is the back to front where it's the one touch pass and move where the team bursts forward as a unit.

From a Park Lane point of view, last year we were sweeping through teams with a maximum of two or three passes from defence to the wingers, usually via Parker and Modric, ball into box, GOAL. Recently against Maribor Huddlestone chipped one forward to Adebayor, he nodded it down to Tom Carroll, first time ball into Defoe's feet, GOAL. Four touches of the football. Man United are excellent at it, and when Chelsea have been on form this year they've swept in some fine goals in similar fashion. Mata at White Hart Lane, Hazard against your lot Nicko.

Everyone likes to watch open games of football, but for me - keeping possession is the most important element of the game. If you're good enough with the ball, the chances should come. I have no quarrel with teams who play a long ball game but if it was my team, it'd be a "last ten minutes if you're losing" tactic.

Win, and win however you can.

If you've got the players to tactically undo a team and look gorgeous doing it, then mint. But in reality, so few teams can do it every single week. For me, it boils down to how best to get a result against the other team, which often means weakening their strengths rather than playing to yours. I fucking hate playing Stoke (or watching them against others), but then I know I wouldn't if I was a Stoke fan when they're relatively comfortable every season. Likewise for Allardyce teams.

I'm also fine with cheating, actually, just to add a bit more to this. EVERYBODY cheats now, it's just about universal in the modern game. There's smart ways to cheat and stupid ways to cheat, so do it the smart way and reap the benefits I say. From Robbie Savage to Diouff and all in between, there's a magic to it when they're doing it to you, and it really stings when a clever cunt on the other team makes idiots of your players.

• Paid Members

Personally I don't see why you can't mix up both styles? I think a good example of this was Liverpool vs Newcastle a few weeks back. Liverpool were out passing Newcastle all game but creating little, then came an exquisite long ball from Enrique creating one of the best goals of the season so far for Suarez.

Simply put, I think a balance between the two is ideal for me as a viewer.

Defensive, Counter. If that means long balls, so be it.

Teams like Barca (And my own team Arsenal) get credit for playing neat tika taka football but its all well and good until you're at the oppositions penalty box and you need to thread precise passes through, which doesn't happen as often as you'd think. Watching a Barca game for the full 90 minutes, they don't make as many chances as you'd think if they're playing a well organised unit.

For me you need to get the defence to face its own goal, however that needs to happen. Long balls, pace whores down the wings. Whatever it takes.

Sadly though the days of the 'target' man are long gone, with only a few true target men playing in the bigger leagues.

• Paid Members

Not so much tiki-taka but STOP FUCKING HOOFING IT WHEN YOU CAN SEE IT ISN'T WORKING, FAO every manager we've had in the last couple of decades.

My whole game when I played footy was receive the ball just in front of the centre backs and pass to the nearest wide man. That was my whole level of talent. I modeled my game off David May. Even down to celebrating as if I contributed more than I actually did.

You are Lee Johnson and I claim my 5 pounds! :laugh:

Not so much tiki-taka but STOP FUCKING HOOFING IT WHEN YOU CAN SEE IT ISN'T WORKING, FAO every manager we've had in the last couple of decades.

They wont learn.

Tbh I dont care as long as they win, given our team some closing down once in a while ( another for every manager we have had for aeons)

Archived