UKFF Hip Hop Thread

Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

I gave Ocean Wisdom a go purely based on the comments in this thread. Like Chest, I'm not usually that into UK stuff, but really enjoyed the new album Wizville. That led me to check his older stuff and I like Chaos 93 even more. Especially liked 'Real Smooth' off that one;

So cheers for the recommendations! 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
On ‎17‎/‎03‎/‎2018 at 2:29 PM, wandshogun09 said:

I gave Ocean Wisdom a go purely based on the comments in this thread. Like Chest, I'm not usually that into UK stuff, but really enjoyed the new album Wizville. That led me to check his older stuff and I like Chaos 93 even more. Especially liked 'Real Smooth' off that one;

So cheers for the recommendations! 

The Four Owls album 'Natural Order' is very good. If you liked this I reckon you'll really dig it, it's straight boom-bap.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The new album 'Jagged Tooth Crook' from The Mouse Outfit is brilliant. If you enjoy laid back jazzier stuff you'll love this! It's perfect listening for summer & the female vocals made me think of Brand New Heavies in places.

Seeing them in Manchester on Friday but booked tickets before this was released. Looking forward to it even more now.

8 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

The new album 'Jagged Tooth Crook' from The Mouse Outfit is brilliant. If you enjoy laid back jazzier stuff you'll love this! It's perfect listening for summer & the female vocals made me think of Brand New Heavies in places.

Seeing them in Manchester on Friday but booked tickets before this was released. Looking forward to it even more now.

I think Dr Syntax is one of the most underrated rappers in the UK so glad to hear this bangs as usual

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I think Dr Syntax is one of the most underrated rappers in the UK so glad to hear this bangs as usual

I think he's only on 1 track on this record but it's excellent (as per)

28 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I think he's only on 1 track on this record but it's excellent (as per)

Ah, I see...

You checked out the new Coops album, No Brainer? Came out a few weeks back on High Focus, so comes with that quality mark, and is really, really nice. Jazzy influenced, and whilst he isn't the most mind blowing rhymer, he has a really nice flow and tone to his voice. The track Mac N Cheese is a stand out.

Also, Lock Your Doors by Ramson Badbonez is a BANGER for a bit more aggro based rap.

Edit: Just listened to the Syntax track: "I don't need joss sticks or the lotus position, I  just come and boss it like I roll with some minions" :)

Edited by SuperBacon
edit

• Paid Members

I've heard some of Coops stuff but not the whole record, I liked what I heard though. High Focus really is a mark of quality right now, I saw Ocean Wisdom last week & he was fantastic. Bit disappointed that HF didn't put another one of their acts (or more) as support though? It was sold out & seemed like a missed opportunity.

Just now, Dead Mike said:

I've heard some of Coops stuff but not the whole record, I liked what I heard though. High Focus really is a mark of quality right now, I saw Ocean Wisdom last week & he was fantastic. Bit disappointed that HF didn't put another one of their acts (or more) as support though? It was sold out & seemed like a missed opportunity.

Yeah I've seen him live and he rips it. Who supported him?

• Moderators
11 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, Lock Your Doors by Ramson Badbonez is a BANGER for a bit more aggro based rap.

Ah sweet. I didn't know he had a new track (and album) out.. That's some uk hip hop I can get into! That Hypnodic album is fantastic. (Also I listened to a bit of Ocean Wisdom and I definitely did like some of it - I need to give it a bit more rotation).

Edited by Chest Rockwell

Somebody posted a song on here once, I'm sure it was @Chest Rockwell in one of the songs of the year thread maybe. It begins with some Karate Kid monologue, "fear does not exist in this dojo" etc. It might have even been called Cobra Kai but seeing as that search brings up plenty but nothing of what I'm looking for can anyone help a brother out?