WWE at their most offensive

guyincognito

• Awards Moderator
Not WWE but Harley Race "had a boy like Ron Simmons carrying his bags" apparently;

The Terri Runnells fake preganancy/Misarriage angle was simply horrible on so many levels and for me by far the worst.

People say do not watch wrestling if you are easy offended, i am not easy offended but that bad.

Sounds like you are easily offended.

EDIT - In that Race/Simmons video, why did they beep out 'boy'? I'm sure he only said 'boy', could swear I've seen that clip without the beep.

I haven't watched the video, but I think 'boy' is one of those terms that has much more potential to cause offence in America than anywhere else, especially when applied to a black man. It goes back to slavery, I think, when the slaves were referred to as 'boy', if not worse.

I'm sure I once read somewhere (no guarantee it's true) that the origin of people addressing each other as 'man' is from just after slavery, when former slaves were no longer 'boy' - they could call each other 'man' because they were recognised as people now.

So yeah, they probably bleeped 'boy' because Harley's using a hangover term from the slavery era to refer to Simmons. Unless I got all that wrong.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members

You need to be able to watch WWE with a pinch if salt, much like south park.

Most foreigners are evil, in fact any thing 'not' right wing Americana is usually evil.

Sometimes, I roll my eyes in a 'my god' style tone at sone of the things that are said. WWE and America in general seem to be stuck in the past with PC. Calling peoples retards is a bit unnecessary and can be offensive, but it's WWE, we just let them get on with it much like you do with your slightly racist grandfather, your drunky uncle or like the BBC did with Jimmy Sav.

Also, when Bobby Heenan said 'things' it was funny, when King says things, I can't help but think it's because he's an idiot.

• Paid Members
I'm sure I once read somewhere (no guarantee it's true) that the origin of people addressing each other as 'man' is from just after slavery, when former slaves were no longer 'boy' - they could call each other 'man' because they were recognised as people now.

It was in the 1940s that it started, so about seven decades after the Battle of Gettysburg which freed the slaves and a couple of decades before the Civil Rights movement hit its stride. Whites had continued to address Blacks by 'hey, boy' and so black Americans took it the other way by using 'hey, man' with each other. Not long after the Sixties popped along and 'hey, man' was adopted by the mainstream (and 'man' became common currency as a vocative in general sentences, such as 'Man, this marijuana is so great, man'), the original sense of defiance having been lost.

In totally the other direction we have Italian, which in medieval days used a version of our 'I'm at your service' to be polite. Theirs was 'sono vostro schiavo', which scans as 'I'm your slave'. As is normal, a long phrase got truncated once it was used in everyday conversation (such as our 'God be with ye' becoming 'goodbye' and then 'bye') and it became 'schiavo' and then 'ciao'. So when the Italians now salute each other (and people from other countries borrow it) they're etymologically referring to themselves as slaves.

On topic:

I tend to find it grating when WWE gets political, and I think their conduct is probably offensive in that it uses its airtime to promote (to a relatively low-intelligence audience) one political opinion as good whilst condemning the opposing. I recall their 'Smack Down Your Vote!' campaign in, I think, 1999, which was declared a non-partisan campaign to get young Americans voting. On their programmes they visited both parties' national conventions and hammered home the point 'We don't care who you vote for. We just want you to vote.' However, Lawler's commentary over those weeks was absolutely partisan, promoting the Republicans and slandering the Democrats. 'We don't care who you vote for but we'll use our on-air time to dismiss one of the two parties.'

Similarly they programmed a face (Scott Steiner) and a heel (Chris Nowinski) to 'debate' the Iraq War, with the pretext being that the argument against was to be booed before a word had been ushered. That it was the monosyllabic Steiner making no sense and still being greeted by whoops reinforces to me how dumb their audience is and how easy it is to influence them.

Even recently they had their 'Stand up for WWE' campaign, the target of which was to get their low-intelligence fanbase to flood people who criticise aspects of WWE and batter them into silence through attrition.

In totally the other direction we have Italian, which in medieval days used a version of our 'I'm at your service' to be polite. Theirs was 'sono vostro schiavo', which scans as 'I'm your slave'. As is normal, a long phrase got truncated once it was used in everyday conversation (such as our 'God be with ye' becoming 'goodbye' and then 'bye') and it became 'schiavo' and then 'ciao'. So when the Italians now salute each other (and people from other countries borrow it) they're etymologically referring to themselves as slaves.

You sir have just made my day. I have a mate whos last name is Schiavo. Time for some serious piss taking.

I'm in the same boat as those who have said nothing in wrestling offends them, to me it's just entertainment and those who get offended at a wrestling show are way too PC in my eyes. It's just something to laugh at, have fun watching and just escapism. That being said I wouldn't sit in a room with my family and friends watching Snitsky on TV making fun of causing Lita to have a miscarriage and then punting a doll into the crowd as I'd imagine some of them would be offended by it and I don't want the giref of having to explain it's just entertainment as I think they'd see me as a sicko. Well as I've explained my views I may aswell put in a few storylines:

"Choppy choppy your pee pee" was absolutely hilarious but I'd imagine some people being offended by it for different reasons despite it being pretty tame.

Hornswoggle as Vince's kid and Vince hitting him, again pretty tame but I remember around the time some were getting all annoyed saying it's trying to show Vince smacking his son at a time when it was all in the news about smacking your children being wrong and they were portraying Hornswoggle as a little kid and not a grown up man.

Another fairly tame one was the custody battle between Rey and Eddie over Dominik, some were saying having a wrestling match to decide the fate of the child is a bit wrong and also using a wrestlers real life kid in a storyline like that wasn't right.

So yeah they were all quite tame compared to other things but I can't remember seeing any of them in this thread.

• Paid Members
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktDq7DCAUrA

Kurt Angle hates black people

That's such a pastiche and so tongue in check I don't see how it could really be offensive.

To call it offensive is to not fully understand why its being said and to look only at what is said.

I don't think anything in wrestling has offended me. Its bored me because its not entertaining or its shit but its never offended me.

It has done things I wish they hadn't but I've never been offended by them at all.

Do you know if there's a backstory for why they always ask if you get them or know what they're saying? Ronnie must know.

Archived