WWE at their most offensive

guyincognito

However when you have a guy automatically be a heel because hes "a little off white", or a good guy uses a racist / homophobic / prejudice stance, it puts a bad taste in his mouth.

Personally, just ONCE, I'd love to see a story line in which a someone who is stereotyped against (e.g. A homosexual, or a Muslim) over comes the prejudice of a heel and comes out victorious.

And I'd like to see a west end play where the hero is the guy who picks on a Billy Elliot type for being a little mincer. But that wouldn't work for a theatre audience, just like your liberal dream is not going to work for 6000 adolescent hicks. "Why can't wrestling be nuanced, like The Wire?" Because it's panto for a braying mob of the most ignorant and uneducated members of society, for fucksake.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Paid Members
Heidenrape, although I thought it was fucking great. What did Snitsky originally do that 'wasn't his fault'? Didn't he cause Lita a miscarriage or something?

Yup. He knocked her over and she miscarried. It culminated in him getting a baby doll and drop kicking it into the crowd, which is a fantastic sentence

What about melina "warming up" big dave and then trying to claim he raped her? Same with miss Elizabeth's "aggravated stalking". Always a little bit on the dodge about fake rape as a storyline

The first thing that always comes to mind is the video that WWE played (on Smackdown I think) following Miss Elizabeth's death in which they basically used her death to bury WCW, Randy Savage and Lex Luger.

I think they even played the audio of the 911 call Luger made and implied that he killed her.

However when you have a guy automatically be a heel because hes "a little off white", or a good guy uses a racist / homophobic / prejudice stance, it puts a bad taste in his mouth.

Personally, just ONCE, I'd love to see a story line in which a someone who is stereotyped against (e.g. A homosexual, or a Muslim) over comes the prejudice of a heel and comes out victorious.

And I'd like to see a west end play where the hero is the guy who picks on a Billy Elliot type for being a little mincer. But that wouldn't work for a theatre audience, just like your liberal dream is not going to work for 6000 adolescent hicks. "Why can't wrestling be nuanced, like The Wire?" Because it's panto for a braying mob of the most ignorant and uneducated members of society, for fucksake.

Aren't you in a mardy mood "for fucksake"!

I was originally going to write at the end ..."but it will never happen because of the way the audience is programmed" or words to that effect. I guess I didn't want to insult the intelligence of the fans. Sadly your probably right though Pitcos.... But that doesn't mean I have to like how WWE present certain groups of people. I also don't have to respect WWE for never giving it a go.

Personally I think the fans would be reasonably receptive to it (though I fully admit I could be wrong). Considering this is a show that has had some of the crappiest storylines in its time, is it not worth a punt at a positive angle, EVEN if it's just for PR purposes?

• Paid Members

Not WWE but Harley Race "had a boy like Ron Simmons carrying his bags" apparently;

The Terri Runnells fake preganancy/Misarriage angle was simply horrible on so many levels and for me by far the worst.

People say do not watch wrestling if you are easy offended, i am not easy offended but that bad.

Sounds like you are easily offended.

Me and my ex had a stillborn daughter and miscarriage angles in wrestling don't offend me. I don't think anything in wrestling could actually offend me to be honest. Just like I don't get offended by movies or soaps. It's just a storyline.

Not saying people should all think like that but I think people should just take wrestling for what it is. A TV show.

EDIT - In that Race/Simmons video, why did they beep out 'boy'? I'm sure he only said 'boy', could swear I've seen that clip without the beep.

Personally I think the fans would be reasonably receptive to it (though I fully admit I could be wrong). Considering this is a show that has had some of the crappiest storylines in its time, is it not worth a punt at a positive angle, EVEN if it's just for PR purposes?

No. Like Butch said, having someone whose gimmick is "he's gay, but that's not part of his gimmick" is self-defeating, dull, irrelevant nonsense in wrestling. If you've got a gaybyface in wrestling, he's got to use his flamboyant gayness to wind up the heels, otherwise it's a pointless non-gimmick. The World's Strongest Man uses his strength. The World's Largest Athlete uses his size. The World's Gayest Grappler uses his gayness. And having a wrestler going around gaying up his opponents isn't progressive. Nor is it good PR. So it's a move that would backfire in terms of publicity, and at best would get good fan response as a novelty gimmick until the novelty wore off like it has with Brodus Clay.

• Paid Members
Me and my ex had a stillborn daughter and miscarriage angles in wrestling don't offend me. I don't think anything in wrestling could actually offend me to be honest. Just like I don't get offended by movies or soaps. It's just a storyline.

Me and Mrs Small had two miscarriages fairly early on in our relationship and the Snitsky / Lita angle especially was still bloody hilarious, it was so over the top and stupid that I find it difficult to understand anyone being offended by it. The doll punt was fantastic. Snitsky wheeling a pushchair down the ramp even more so.

• Paid Members

Sorry to hear that Gladstone.

But yeah, my point exactly. Wrestling is such a goofy form of entertainment I find it hard to take those type of angles as anything but silly humour. I thought Snitsky was fantastic in that storyline.

• Paid Members

I thought the Snitskey thing was so ridiculous it was entertaining. Its how they'd do it on Scooby Doo if Daffney suddenly miscarried. It was clear as day they were hamming it up.

The Terri Runnels one was just nasty I thought. A poor attempt at a soap opera. The reasons for them doing the angle was more offensive than the actual angle. It seemed like a blatant attempt to create a media storm and therefor gain viewership. They tried to make it all real with everyone doing their Owen Hart Is Dead voice as well, which was distasteful. Its not hard to see why everyone thought Owen Hart was just setting up a return at King of the Ring when he fell from the roof, with some of the shite they were doing at the time.

• Paid Members

I've never been offended by anything. The only thing they did that bothered me was Rey getting a Rumble win and title reign because he was Eddies mate, the terrible "you got me Eddie" line when he drew his number for said Rumble, and Ortons "Eddie's in hell" line. Everything connected to the whole run was undeserved, lazy, unnecessary, over the top or cheap. Although I still wouldn't go so far as to say I was offended.

I remember in the back of my mind of the Faction Wars around 97-98 that The Hart Foundation vandalised the Nation of Domination's locker room with some implied racial overtures but the storyline wasn't taken beyond the locker room being wrecked.

When I saw the thread title the first thing I thought of was Saba Simba

Another thing, though I didn't find it offensive I imagine others did, was Triple H and Candice Michelle getting sorted out in 2006, it's not that offensive because it's just played for laughs, problem is it wasn't funny in the slightest, like everything DX did in 2006

Archived